Fuel getting in engine oil

So, I acquired my 2017 from the company my dad sold here a few weeks back, and when I picked it up it needed an oil change. Truck had 46,200 miles on it at the time. I figured as much, no big deal. Changed the oil, and grabbed a sample to send to Blackstone labs. I'll attach the file here, but the long and the short of it was that they said there was quite a bit of fuel in the oil, and that the wear metals (mainly steel) was consistent with samples that get sent in with 18,000 miles, not the 8,000 I had estimated they had on the oil change. So now, 1800 miles later, I check the oil again and it's over-full, by about 3/8". Has anyone else had this problem? I know it can be an issue with DI motors, just reaching out to see if anyone here has any info before I setup an appointment with a local dealer to get it checked out. I do most of my own work, but it's still under powertrain warranty, so this is definitely going on GM's dime...

17 SILVERADO-171217.pdf

What was this truck doing?  Heavy towing? in what region of USA?  Viscosity of oil being effected would probably be 10% so your not close having some fuel dilution is expected in Gas Directed engines.  Do not put more than 8.0qts in crankcase on 16's and above.....Start over fresh and send sample @ 4-5K although you could split sample and send the other one away to because Blackstone is not the most highly accurate test but good enough for retail schmucks like us!

2 hours ago, Ed HD said:

Mostly empty highway driving. These miles got put on between Jan and Sept of this year, so it was a lot of driving in a short period. 

Much wide open throttle driving I would suspect......That is many miles in short duration!

I wouldn't expect GM or the dealer to jump through hoops over a lab report either. I'm guessing they'll tell you it's within specs and do nothing.

Words like "possible' and "we aren't positive" in the report, don't really help your case either.

3 hours ago, newdude said:

DI engines suffer from fuel dilution of engine oil.  The new GF-6 API spec oils are formulated to combat against this.  What oil have you been running? 

I put Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 in when I changed it, along with their filter. Gonna pull another sample at 4k, if I don't go to the dealer first. 

39 minutes ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Engine is done. Get GM to replace it.

That seems a big premature. Probably a bad injector or something....

2 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

I wouldn't expect GM or the dealer to jump through hoops over a lab report either. I'm guessing they'll tell you it's within specs and do nothing.

Words like "possible' and "we aren't positive" in the report, don't really help your case either.

I'm not showing them the report. Gonna say I noticed my oil level was going up, not milky like coolant, I'm thinking it's fuel. 

2 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Much wide open throttle driving I would suspect......That is many miles in short duration!

Most of it was freeway and 2 lane driving. I know the first 25-ish k miles were put on by one guy, he wouldn't have driven it like that, and I know he had it changed at the dealer (company truck, company dime). The last 18-ish k are what worries me. 

3 hours ago, Ed HD said:

I put Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 in when I changed it, along with their filter. Gonna pull another sample at 4k, if I don't go to the dealer first. 

That seems a big premature. Probably a bad injector or something....

I'm not showing them the report. Gonna say I noticed my oil level was going up, not milky like coolant, I'm thinking it's fuel. 

Most of it was freeway and 2 lane driving. I know the first 25-ish k miles were put on by one guy, he wouldn't have driven it like that, and I know he had it changed at the dealer (company truck, company dime). The last 18-ish k are what worries me. 

I checked my reports and my Iron level was not even that high at 28k miles.......I would be investigating and doing another sample at 5K......AT that point Flush the lower and upper engine with BG and replace with full synthetic like valvoline it's cheap 21.00 jug and Mobil 1 filter.......check again....At some point you have to keep things the same to compare....Don't loose any sleep over it....I wouldn't but looking at your oil report it was pretty much shot at the mileage...

• 2 weeks later...

So, I took it to the dealer today, as the oil had gone up significantly since the last change (they said it was a quart overfull), and the HPFP was leaking into the oil. Unfortunately, it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty (I have 49,800 miles, so B2B is gone and no extended warranty), so it ended up costing me over $900 to get fixed. Yeah. I love GM, but that hurts. I can't believe that it's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Stupid. 

17 minutes ago, Ed HD said:

So, I took it to the dealer today, as the oil had gone up significantly since the last change (they said it was a quart overfull), and the HPFP was leaking into the oil. Unfortunately, it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty (I have 49,800 miles, so B2B is gone and no extended warranty), so it ended up costing me over $900 to get fixed. Yeah. I love GM, but that hurts. I can't believe that it's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Stupid. 

That doesn't make sense.  it should be covered by the PT warranty.   For Blackstone to show high fuel that says something. Their method of fuel testing is outdated, flash 1930s technology, which is no longer adequate for today's fuels and oil chemistry. You want to find a lab like Dyson Analysis that uses GC gas chromatography hydrocarbon. 

The guy at the dealer said he tried running it a few different ways and it wouldn't let him charge it to the powertrain warranty. I might call GM Customer service...

EDIT: Looked at the GM warranty site, here's what it says:

Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

30 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

That doesn't make sense.  it should be covered by the PT warranty.   For Blackstone to show high fuel that says something. Their method of fuel testing is outdated, flash 1930s technology, which is no longer adequate for today's fuels and oil chemistry. You want to find a lab like Dyson Analysis that uses GC gas chromatography hydrocarbon. 

And yet it's still in use by all major oil companies, paint's & coatings,  inks and almost any other company that utilizes hydrocarbon solvents at any level. Even the EPA uses it.  Just because someone invented an electric lighter doesn't mean a Zippo won't lite your smoke. They could use a GC for finished gasoline testing to but still use the D-86 distillation method. Why? Because it still works. Tells what's important and it's cheap. That's like using an MRI to find a splinter. 

19 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And yet it's still in use by all major oil companies, paint's & coatings,  inks and almost any other company that utilizes hydrocarbon solvents at any level. Even the EPA uses it.  Just because someone invented an electric lighter doesn't mean a Zippo won't lite your smoke. They could use a GC for finished gasoline testing to but still use the D-86 distillation method. Why? Because it still works. Tells what's important and it's cheap. That's like using an MRI to find a splinter. 

Blackstone Labs is not using D86 as far as I know,  they are using D92 flashpoint and D445 viscosity to approximate fuels dilute in engine oil host. Not pure refinery motor gasolines or reformulated gasoline. Totally different deal.

I have sent two samples off, one to Blackstone and one to Dyson Analysis and the BLKS reports shows no fuel dilute but the DA does. That tells me that BLKS is under reporting fuels dilution.

18 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Blackstone Labs is not using D86 as far as I know,  they are using D92 flashpoint and D445 viscosity to approximate fuels dilute in engine oil host. Not pure refinery motor gasolines or reformulated gasoline. Totally different deal.

I have sent two samples off, one to Blackstone and one to Dyson Analysis and the BLKS reports shows no fuel dilute but the DA does. That tells me that BLKS is under reporting fuels dilution.

I hope not. It's a fuel test not run on oil. I actually did these twice a shift when I worked for Chevron USA. I'm not keyboard researching this. 

Actually this only means the flash test is less sensitive than a GC. So it isn't a case of under reporting at all. 

What it is a case of is...too little to matter. Fuel dilution isn't mutually exclusive to DI engines. It happens to all gasoline engines at cold startup. It is in fact to a higher degree in DI systems as they do not vaporize fuel as a carburetor would, they atomize fuel. 

Again to little to matter: 

Caution, this guy is crude. Keep the kids and wife at bay. His moral compass is corrupt but his engineering skills are on the money. 

Archived