TruXP XTune+ Tuner - Surprisingly functional for me

I will start by saying that this isn't a thread debating canned vs custom tunes.  In general, I think most of us understand custom is likely best.  If you think custom tuning is the only way to go, this isn't for you (stop reading now and visit one of the other glorious topics like Gamboa's mirror thread).  If you are interested in a cheap way to delete AFM and have tire calibration in one packaged, this is for you.  I bought this tuner because I needed tire calibration and AFM disable controls at a reasonable price.  The canned tunes that came along with it were a nice to have but weren't needed for me. 

Not sure if its been posted before but in my own opinion I believe most of these non-customizable tuners are all the same.  The EDGE EvoHT2 (~$375), Flashpaq F5 (~$290), and TruXP Xtune+ (~$260) are the same tuner just a different name and color casing which means a different price.  TruXP is the housebrand at Autoanything similar to ProZ.  I have bought multiple TruXP parts and can positively say that these parts are just rebranded and cheaper than the name brand counterpart i.e. the TruXP air intake is really a K&N intake but cheaper.  I'd put money on it that the tuners all run the same canned tuned with the same results, I cannot confirm that though. 

My point being, don't be so quick to ignore those "not so name brand" projects.  In the TruXP case they are just rebranded parts at reasonable prices.  With a little research you can same some money. 

The TruXP tuner was $260 at Autoanything.  To complete the same tasks W/O a tuner I would've paid $145 at my dealer for tire calibration and $189 for a Range AFM disable tool.  Add in the fact that I also got 3 canned tunes for my truck at $260, at the end of the day it is not a bad deal at all.

Here is a quick run through video of the TruXP tuner on my GMC Sierra.  It is incredibly simple to use.  Just for kicks, I tried the 87 performance canned tune on a run to Costco a few days ago and the truck felt aggressive (firmed up shifting) but for me that was a bit much for my day to day commute so I backed it down to running stock with my tire and AFM options only.  There's also a 91 performance tune.

Everything above is my opinion and if I can help someone make the decision on a tuner then this post was worth it.  If not you may shun me...

• Like 3

man .. good job dude.... just like at the grocery store.. all the black and white labeled house brands, are the name brands relabeled and sold cheaper.... i use to work for a grocery store and learned that right off...

• Like 1

man .. good job dude.... just like at the grocery store.. all the black and white labeled house brands, are the name brands relabeled and sold cheaper.... i use to work for a grocery store and learned that right off...

Yup!! With some research it’s usually pretty easy to figure out where things are coming from i.e Kirland Vodka is just grey goose in disguise...

I have a Range right now and i like the full on V8 mode, i also have 33" tires and my speedometer is off by 2mph and i wanted a tune AND i was able to order one for $251 shipped.

Thanks for the video, hopefully i wont be disappointed. 

• Like 1

I have a Range right now and i like the full on V8 mode, i also have 33" tires and my speedometer is off by 2mph and i wanted a tune AND i was able to order one for $251 shipped.
Thanks for the video, hopefully i wont be disappointed. 

It’s a fun tool. I definitely felt the shifting differences in the 87 perf tune.

• 2 weeks later...

I commented on your YouTube video but figured i add my comment here as well.

I got this a week after your video and so far i really like it.

First thing i did was do Stock with options and turned AFM and changed my tires to 33" which fixed my speedometer.

Then i tried the 87 tune and i could feel a difference, especially with harder shifting.

Then i did 87 with options and increased the Throttle Boost 4% with didn't do much then 10%. The throttle feels so much more responsive now, it just changes the input signal.

I also noticed with 87 with options tune the transmission shifts smoother, i didn't change any of the shift points and anything.

This tuner has lots of options to fine tune it to your liking. Once i fill up with 93, i will try the performance tune and see how that works out.

I would highly recommend this. One other good thing is when you do go back to stock, the tuner gets unlocked so you can use it on another truck or sell it unlike other VIN locked tuners. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waterfowler41 said:

Just an FYI, the Xtune tuner dropped to $200 this week

Did you call up and ask for the price difference yet?  They have a 1 yr price match

Edited by bndawgs

3 minutes ago, Waterfowler41 said:

Did not realize this!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Britt

no prob.  i've used it twice in the last 2 days for $140 worth of credits.  it's a great feature from them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea how to reset this thing?  I got it today, updated it on my PC, plugged it into the truck, read DTC's, then went to tune and it keeps telling me to update in IGNITION.  It's been updated, that's the first thing I did.  No idea who to even contact about it.  There's nothing in the book either.  

Now when I plug it into the PC it says "updates are available.  Do you want to install them now?"  I click YES.  It then states the following:  "Contacting Powerteq cloud for vehicle unlock.  This may take 1-2 days.  You will receive an email when your unlock is ready.  Press OK if you would like to download normal device updates, or close the application to wait until later.  WTH!?  

****UPDATE****

So apparently my truck (2017 Silverado) needed an update file from "Powerteq" in order to be able to do any tuning.  I'm not sure why this was/is necessary but I received the file the morning after the initial setup of the tuner, on a weekday, weekends may take longer.  For those that may get this in the future just expect a day or 2 delay in being able to use it if you have a newer vehicle?  Again, I'm not sure why this was needed for my truck but I believe it's because it's newer.  I could be wrong about that.