Fixing problem with filling up gas tank

Bobbie

Question

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked the charcoal canister out again and blow it out also the hoses that connect to it.  When I did I found a hose coming from gas tank running to the front of truck.  And it was leaking gas at the connection from rubber hose to metal line. I took apart and put back together it seems like it quit leaking for now.  Could that have been causing any of the problems? 

To command the valve open n shut what tools would I need I might have a friend that might have what I need?  If I didn't replace the wiring from the vapor canister would that have something to do with the codes? 

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-2082-Original-Equipment-Canister/product-reviews/B000S2SKIY/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=3

This might not be the exact one for your truck - you'll need to research that yourself.

Here's a vid on the earlier models: 

Either there, or on the charcoal canister assembly. Look for a sensor with Yellow/Red & Black/Green wires.

If that's your purge line, that means your charcoal canister is saturated with fuel (and probably junk) from the tank being severely overfilled. Without being there, I don't know what line you've disconnected. Could have been a supply line.

Just a note if you plan on doing any electrical testing on the FTP sensor - GM is BACKWARDS from every other manufacturer. On our trucks,  PRESSURE will make the voltage DROP ... VACUUM makes the voltage RISE. Completely counter-intuitive (I expect nothing less from the General ...). Remember, a 5v reference is sent to the sensor, so you shouldn't be seeing anything at 0, or over 4.9v .

Just an EDIT to say, I've never touched a '14, so this MAY have changed - you just never know in this line of business.

Bobby, you need a laptop and GMs MDI interface and GDS II software.  I posted from my shop manual on GMT900s and we use the Tech2 which yours does not.  Or you need a friend with this or a trip to the dealer and be done with it in a couple of hours.

Jsdirt was you able to find any more info out for me?  I had to remove filler neck it had two kinks in hose.  Fixed that and can pump more gas but still shuts of after about 2.00 and code came back. 

Certainly possible - if the computer is receiving data that the tank has no pressure or vacuum, when indeed it does, it will certainly throw that code.

I'm starting to wonder if programming is required for the part you replaced. Wouldn't shock me one bit. I'll see if I can dig up some info ...

Without scan data I'm out of ideas.  Need to know what that pressure sensor is reading at atmospheric, vacuum, and pressure when commanded by the scan tool, for starters. Then if that checks out, I'd be focused on the vent valve & wiring.

If that OE canister let go, 9 times out of 10, you'll have charcoal bits plugging up everything in the EVAP lines, including the vent. All that needs to be cleaned out whenever a canister is replaced.

Nice! Glad to hear it. :thumbs: 

Thanks for the update!

Archived