Ford 6.2 VS GM 6.0

13 hours ago, GTBensley said:

I dont think you can go wrong between the Ford 6.2 and a 6.0 chevy. Both are very reliable and perform pretty much the same. I would say the 6.0 is a bit easier to work on but the Ford isnt difficult either. The Dodge 6.4 while impressive on paper just doesn't translate to a good usable package in the real world like the other two motors do. 

dodge always has snazzy junk.  60's hemi cars that will rip your head off and rust away a few years later, wranglers that will climb mount everest but death wobble if you hit a small bump, cummins trucks with the best engine on the planet and front ends put together by drunken smurfs, highest hp gas v8 hd truck that can't shift out of first gear on the ike challenge, it never ends.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, i82much said:

dodge always has snazzy junk.  60's hemi cars that will rip your head off and rust away a few years later, wranglers that will climb mount everest but death wobble if you hit a small bump, cummins trucks with the best engine on the planet and front ends put together by drunken smurfs, highest hp gas v8 hd truck that can't shift out of first gear on the ike challenge, it never ends.  

I wasn't going to be as blunt....but you are spot on with this. I manage a shop and Chrysler product are pure junk, plain and simple. They are always the ones getting towed in with the biggest issues or the tiny ongoing quality issues on new stuff.

Iv owed 1/2 dozen dodges-Rams. Never experienced these problems. 65 Dodge cornet, 72 dart gt, 91 Cummings put 300K on that one 73 barracuda, 2 V10s Rams, my brother has a 79 little red truck he bought new along with a challenger. He has several old projects Dodge trucks. My dad DD a 98 Ram Cummings. My other brother and his mechanic own 4 Rams the old ones are close to 200K are used as part runners at the shop and perform well. I realize this is a GM enthusiast forum, I’ve had very little bad experiences with any brand in the over 40 years driving. With the exception of the 5.7 GM diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will always be biased experience on the different forums, I am sure a Dodge forum will say the other two are junk ect. I am sure there are some decent Dodges out there but from my personal experience (its only that and has nothing backing it) Dodge seems to be trailing the pack  as far as reliability and lack of quirks.  

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Iv owed 1/2 dozen dodges-Rams. Never experienced these problems. 65 Dodge cornet, 72 dart gt, 91 Cummings put 300K on that one 73 barracuda, 2 V10s Rams, my brother has a 79 little red truck he bought new along with a challenger. He has several old projects Dodge trucks. My dad DD a 98 Ram Cummings. My other brother and his mechanic own 4 Rams the old ones are close to 200K are used as part runners at the shop and perform well. I realize this is a GM enthusiast forum, I’ve had very little bad experiences with any brand in the over 40 years driving. With the exception of the 5.7 GM diesel.

i am glad you had good luck.  speaking from personal experience with vehicles I bought brand new, my 2 jeeps were well shy of the reliability of GM and Ford products.  And I've know various Cummins owners that say the engine is fantastic, but they are always throwing money at the front end, at some electrical gremlin, etc.  

Also, I think the various reliability studies out there confirm that Chrysler quality generally falls shy of GM and Ford.  

I bought my 6.0 gasser because, in my estimation, it was the single most reliable full-frame 4x4 on the market today.  I would have loved to have gotten a manual trans 6.7 cummins truck instead, but after my jeep experience, i did not have faith in the quality of chrysler products.  Basically, I chose a reliable and boring truck over a snazzier truck that I didn't trust.  

16 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I just saw on yahoo one of the vehicles with the highest resale value was Jeep. I would think reliability would come into play.

It is true, I paid 35k for a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and got 30,500 for it in trade.  45k miles, dented front bumper, the carpet was mildewy and smelled bad, etc.  But Jeeps are not particularly reliable.

I just saw on yahoo one of the vehicles with the highest resale value was Jeep. I would think reliability would come into play.

No, that's because of the "everyone has to have one" supply and demand...probably nothing to do with reliability, just the notion that a lot of people want one. They are almost worse than Hondas around here...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

My father was a Dodge mechanic for 30 years throughout the muscle car era to economy cars of the 80s and 90s. I asked him once why he worked on Dodges instead of GM or Fords. He said that with Dodge they were always busy.  Once he retired he bought a Chevy truck.  

I am hearing a bit about that new 7.3L Ford:  Looks like it is going to be a tall deck version of the 6.2L, and it's probably going to replace the 6.8L V-10 with the 6.2L staying for the 250 and 350.  

I am VERY interested in the upcoming GM large V-8.  Rumor is that it's going to be something of a 'Big Block' LS.  I would guess it will be E85 and CNG/LNG compatible.  DI is pretty much a given for emissions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 10:44 PM, C/K Man said:

I am hearing a bit about that new 7.3L Ford:  Looks like it is going to be a tall deck version of the 6.2L, and it's probably going to replace the 6.8L V-10 with the 6.2L staying for the 250 and 350.  

I am VERY interested in the upcoming GM large V-8.  Rumor is that it's going to be something of a 'Big Block' LS.  I would guess it will be E85 and CNG/LNG compatible.  DI is pretty much a given for emissions.

Could be, but the L96 6.0 is going to be around for quite a while yet.  Fuso is going to put the L96 6.0 in their Class 4 and Class 5 cab over trucks this year, along with slapping a Alison 1000 trans behind it.  Something that should have been made available to the 2500/3500 pickups.  The 6.0 is a real rock solid motor and it has been given more lifetime in the marketplace.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, i82much said:

It is true, I paid 35k for a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and got 30,500 for it in trade.  45k miles, dented front bumper, the carpet was mildewy and smelled bad, etc.  But Jeeps are not particularly reliable.

This is true, they are consistently rated terrible for reliability, yet they also consistently have great resale value.   So they have lots of problems and people don't care.  

Archived