Leveling kit or suspension lift?

Ok, I’ve got a new 2018 GMC Crew Cab SLT 6.2, Z71 4X4 and have the typical drop in front. So, I’m debating on a Lift kit or Leveling kit but do not want to change the ride quality. I’ve heard that TrailMaster makes a 2 1/2” billet aluminum Leveling Kit that will not change the ride quality. I’m going to bump up from the stock 275’s to the 285’s and not go any higher for mpg purposes. Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most brands of level spacer kits will advertise no change in ride quality.  You will also achieve a level appearance with smaller spacers.  Research on this forum and look for pictures with trucks with 1.5" spacers.  You may also experience more component longevity by avoiding the larger spacers. Increasing the width of your tires from 275 to 285 can probably be done without a level if you don't go with a higher aspect ratio.

• Like 1

Most brands of level spacer kits will advertise no change in ride quality.  You will also achieve a level appearance with smaller spacers.  Research on this forum and look for pictures with trucks with 1.5" spacers.  You may also experience more component longevity by avoiding the larger spacers. Increasing the width of your tires from 275 to 285 can probably be done without a level if you don't go with a higher aspect ratio.

So you’re saying that a 1 1/2” is better option so as not to affect components and ride quality?

17 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

So you’re saying that a 1 1/2” is better option so as not to affect components and ride quality?

Yes,  I also find that 2.25" and 2.5" levels can sometimes make our trucks look nose high.  Maintaining some rake will also prevent your truck from squatting with a small load.   I recommend reading some of the thread(s) on this topic.  These comments are my opinions based on my research.  You may come up with different conclusions!

Yes,  I also find that 2.25" and 2.5" levels can sometimes make our trucks look nose high.  Maintaining some rake will also prevent your truck from squatting with a small load.   I recommend reading some of the thread(s) on this topic.  These comments are my opinions based on my research.  You may come up with different conclusions!

I was told to use a 2 1/2” up front with a 1” block in rear.

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

I was told to use a 2 1/2” up front with a 1” block in rear.

(You probably mean a 2+" block to replace your existing 1+" block)   This would give you the same rake as just a 1.5" front level and 1 more inch of overall height.  It would be a good look, but first research the impact on other suspension component angles that level kits impose.  

Shop near me did a 2" lift front and back, using spacers, installed with a good warranty for $590 out the door, that's parts and labor.  So between that and the slightly larger tires, I got the lift and look that I wanted, but I still have most of the stock factory rake, so that when I load an ATV in the back, the truck is then level, rather than it squatting like my dog does when taking a dump.  haha

Scheduled next week for my 2”+ in front and 1 1/2” in rear. Going with Pro Comp 63235. I asked dealership if doing the level will mess up my warranty and the answer is NO, [emoji1303]

You could try searching, there are whole threads of pictures and other level info covering all different heights you were inquiring about, go check out the modifications section.

Also it will mess up your warranty for some suspension components like a failed ball joint, GM won't pay for that as manufacturers are getting stingy on modifications and warranty work. If you add heavy over sized tires with big off set wheels things like wheel bearings probably won't be covered, if the modification messes it up they aren't liable to cover it if the impacted the part that failed because of the modification. Just a heads up, the dealer may cover it but it would probably be out of good will but GM most likely wouldn't.

Tyler

• Like 1

You could try searching, there are whole threads of pictures and other level info covering all different heights you were inquiring about, go check out the modifications section.

Also it will mess up your warranty for some suspension components like a failed ball joint, GM won't pay for that as manufacturers are getting stingy on modifications and warranty work. If you add heavy over sized tires with big off set wheels things like wheel bearings probably won't be covered, if the modification messes it up they aren't liable to cover it if the impacted the part that failed because of the modification. Just a heads up, the dealer may cover it but it would probably be out of good will but GM most likely wouldn't.

Tyler

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been looking and researching. I asked my dealership about it and it’s apparently all good, will not void warranty as long as just a small level

I did the Rough Country 2" front level (just lower spacers) installed myself in about 2 hours and left the rear alone. It has about 3/4" rake now. They say 2 1/2" is max what you should do to prevent premature ball joint damage so I played it a bit safe with the 2". I'm happy with the way it looks and if I go any higher, it'll be with a suspension lift of no more than 4".

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been looking and researching. I asked my dealership about it and it’s apparently all good, will not void warranty as long as just a small level

Most of your warranty will be intact but if something goes bad that's directly caused by the leveling kit that's when you're on your own. Some dealers are more relaxed than others when it comes to leveling kits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did the Rough Country 2" front level (just lower spacers) installed myself in about 2 hours and left the rear alone. It has about 3/4" rake now. They say 2 1/2" is max what you should do to prevent premature ball joint damage so I played it a bit safe with the 2". I'm happy with the way it looks and if I go any higher, it'll be with a suspension lift of no more than 4".

Totally agree, I’m getting a 2” billet aluminum front and adding 1” rear on Monday. Do you have any picks of yours, appreciate it.