All-New 2019 Silverado Details: New Diesel Engine, Weight Savings, Steel Bed, 8 Trims, More Space

Gorehamj

I might have missed it, but what Ford 3.6? Isn't Fords new 1/2 ton diesel a 3.0? And the Ecoboosts are 2.7 and 3.5. I'm just curios which Ford engine the 3.0 Duramax, which as of yet still has no details released, is being compared too here?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Why would they put a 5 or 600.000 mile diesel in a haft ton? A huge part of buyers lease or trade every 3-5 years don't they? If you look around many trucks are either ragged out or on their second or third owner by 10 years.

With the high cost of the diesel option to the new owner, the engine has to be able to last long enough to make it financially feasible.  Since going to common rail, they have eliminated that very expensive repair that came up every 100,000 miles or so.  Paying a $10k premium for the diesel option, and then be told at 95,000 miles you need to spend another $5k on injector pump rebuild really hurt the trucks value.  If the engine now can go effectively forever, the truck will hold its value on the used truck market, giving the original owner some confidence that he may actually be able to not lose twice on the diesel option.  

I do see your point Doug Scott. But I am thinking they are going to shoot for mileage and towing torque for the half segment. I do believe this engine should last 2 or 250,000 miles with proper care . Their going to have to hold the price some what in line or nobody is going to want them.

Diesel is a bit of a con game as are the Ford V-6 turbo boosted engines. The manufacturers' primary concern is meeting CAFE fuel economy numbers and if they can con-vince customers to buy these engines then that is all that matters. Diesels are great for towing with low end torque at low RPM's but their greater cost of ownership is not justified with a 1/2 ton pickup (or a sedan). The Ford V-6 turbo powered trucks and SUV's are terrible for towing as sustained engagement of the turbo causes it to overheat and when that happens it shuts down the engine completely. This protects the engine but puts its inhabitants at great risk.

I wonder what is meant by the "new 10-speed transmission". Is it a new for 2019 transmission or a continuation of the one already being used. The current 10-speed transmission used by Chevy and Ford is terrible and yet there is no option for the 6-speed if wanting one of the upper half trim levels with either company. Seeing the great many problems by so many Ford and Chevy owners I decided against buy a new pickup in 2018 altogether and I will be staying with my 2011 2500HD Duramax truck for the next couple years.

The 10-speed transmission and the AFM (active fuel management) systems for both Ford and Chevy are having problems and the customer is paying the price. The manufacturers and their dealers are turning their backs on customers with the problem vehicles, many of which are only months old. It reminds me of the arrogance of US auto manufacturers in the 1980's when they thought they were gods and answerable to no one. Now with our current government they auto companies are again answerable to no one and it is definitely a buyer beware situation.

14 hours ago, Wintersun said:

Diesel is a bit of a con game as are the Ford V-6 turbo boosted engines. The manufacturers' primary concern is meeting CAFE fuel economy numbers and if they can con-vince customers to buy these engines then that is all that matters. Diesels are great for towing with low end torque at low RPM's but their greater cost of ownership is not justified with a 1/2 ton pickup (or a sedan). The Ford V-6 turbo powered trucks and SUV's are terrible for towing as sustained engagement of the turbo causes it to overheat and when that happens it shuts down the engine completely. This protects the engine but puts its inhabitants at great risk.

I wonder what is meant by the "new 10-speed transmission". Is it a new for 2019 transmission or a continuation of the one already being used. The current 10-speed transmission used by Chevy and Ford is terrible and yet there is no option for the 6-speed if wanting one of the upper half trim levels with either company. Seeing the great many problems by so many Ford and Chevy owners I decided against buy a new pickup in 2018 altogether and I will be staying with my 2011 2500HD Duramax truck for the next couple years.

The 10-speed transmission and the AFM (active fuel management) systems for both Ford and Chevy are having problems and the customer is paying the price. The manufacturers and their dealers are turning their backs on customers with the problem vehicles, many of which are only months old. It reminds me of the arrogance of US auto manufacturers in the 1980's when they thought they were gods and answerable to no one. Now with our current government they auto companies are again answerable to no one and it is definitely a buyer beware situation.

Can't speaker for half-ton diesel, but my buddy's 2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax doesn't have anywhere near the cost of ownnership that his 3/4-ton Durmax has. The Filters were more money but otherwise it seems to be a very affordable truck. I will say that it is deleted, which gave a nice power bump and improved the reliability outlook of the truck. 

I believe GM called it a new 10-speed because they defibitely modified the design Ford gave them, for better or worse. The 8-speed is a baseline option and will probably be a good base transmissiin going forward. Funny how you wish there was a 6-speed option when just under 8 or 9 years ago everyone was upset that the junk 4-speed was being replaced by the 6L80. Every transmission has teething issuess. Luckily GM has been rolling out the transmission out more gradually than Ford is, so engineers can correct issues before putting one in every single truck they sell. This is also why the 8L90 had a slow roll-out. As far as AFM, there are a dozen ways to disable or even delete it. Certainly beats stretched timing chains, bad cam phasers, blown turbos, leaking injectors, stalls/misfires, and absurd levels of oil consumption (2.7 EcoBoost, 1 quart per 900 miles) that Ford owners have been dealing with since the first ecoboost went on sale. Haven't heard of anybody being denied warranty coverage for a bad lifter under warranty, but I would find a better dealer if that were the case. And I would have made damn sure everyone knew how lousy and crooked the dealer that denied the warranty is if that were the case.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:10 AM, KARNUT said:

I don’t think I mentioned anything about reliability. I believe in an early post I mentioned I was part of a family business and we still use diesels and the 3/4 ton and up were much better as far as drivability. Although I mentioned that now emissions come into play, and that was a different debate. As far as earlier drivability, we modified usually with Banks and gear venders. We modified everything, even if was just a tune. If the GM 1/2 ton diesels has 300HP with the added gears in the transmission they wouldn’t be as bad as the early diesels. They could easily get the HP up, tuners will their chasing fuel mileage. So what point of yours was I proving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point that you proved was that you, as well as the rest of us, don't know how the new GM diesel will perform.  Time will tell with that and I hope it out performs the other modern half ton diesels, but we can all agree, as you mentioned, that the modern emission regulations are truly holding these engines back.  

With the high cost of the diesel option to the new owner, the engine has to be able to last long enough to make it financially feasible.  Since going to common rail, they have eliminated that very expensive repair that came up every 100,000 miles or so.  Paying a $10k premium for the diesel option, and then be told at 95,000 miles you need to spend another $5k on injector pump rebuild really hurt the trucks value.  If the engine now can go effectively forever, the truck will hold its value on the used truck market, giving the original owner some confidence that he may actually be able to not lose twice on the diesel option.  
I thought they were all common rail-type system since 2004ish because of EPA emissions regulations, and the Bosch pump and electronic injectors were the cause of those high dollar repairs?

I know the common rail injectors for my 2004.5 Cummins were $600 each from Chrysler and about $2500 a set for aftermarket, the CP3 high pressure pump was the cheap part...the CP3 would last forever, injectors not so much.

What is the current system? Something other than common rail?

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Watched a TFL video where some rep took them through the truck. Couple real disappointing points. 

First, only LT trim and up have LED headlamps. WT and Custom have halogen. Why the step back? Right now all trims have HIDs. 

Second, he briefly said the entry to the 6.2 was High Country, which I interpret as not even LTZ getting it. Neither trim is in my future so I was hoping they’d smarten up and offer it on more trims like they did on the 900-Series trucks. Hopefully they at least update the 5.3, it’s the least powerful V8 truck now. Hopefully GMC is smarter with the content of lower trims at least. 

12 hours ago, MikeNH said:

Watched a TFL video where some rep took them through the truck. Couple real disappointing points. 

First, only LT trim and up have LED headlamps. WT and Custom have halogen. Why the step back? Right now all trims have HIDs. 

Second, he briefly said the entry to the 6.2 was High Country, which I interpret as not even LTZ getting it. Neither trim is in my future so I was hoping they’d smarten up and offer it on more trims like they did on the 900-Series trucks. Hopefully they at least update the 5.3, it’s the least powerful V8 truck now. Hopefully GMC is smarter with the content of lower trims at least. 

I think GM is having trouble with their CAFE numbers.  CAFE is corporate wide fuel economy on sold vehicles.  Ford's ecoboost engine likely gives Ford an advantage CAFE wise due to its fuel economy in normal driving mode.  GM likely needs to to limit the availability of the 6.2 to avoid not making CAFE. numbers.  By making the 6.2 only available in a specific model they can control the numbers being sold. 

As for why they took a step back in headlights, the only reason that makes sense is the cost reduction.  Perhaps GM is attempting to limit or remove a MSRP increase.  Be interesting to see if the HIDs become a dealer installed item from GMaccessories webstore. 

19 hours ago, MikeNH said:

Yeah he did say that, but I am thinking he meant maybe the 6.2L was std on the High Country.. The LTZ pictures on chevys website clearly show the 6.2L badge on the hood. I hope he just made a error...

I'm sure the 6.2L will be available on the LTZ to go with the Max Tow package. No frickin way I'm towing 7,000+ lbs travel trailers with a 5.3 and the Duramax may not make economic sense.  Don't mention the 3.0 diesel, unproven. If the 3.0 costs more than the 6.2L I'll get the Duramax. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived