2019 Chevy Silverado Spotlight - Cargo Bed Area

Gorehamj

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-009.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-14-2018

One point of emphasis in last night’s Chevrolet Silverado launch was the cargo bed area improvements. Chevy seems to have taken great care to make not just the strongest cargo area, but the most functional.

The 2019 Silverado will feature the most cargo volume in every bed length. The short-box will have 63 cubic feet of volume. Chevy says this new short box has  “up to 20 percent more than a competitor’s short-box.”  However, it isn’t just overall volume that improves. Chevy has also increased the maximum width of the bed by seven inches. Furthermore, Chevy will offer new lockable storage boxes that fit over the wheel wells and will still allow 4X8’ building materials to load flat on the floor. The twelve fixed and nine movable cargo area tie downs in the new Silverado will be twice as strong as competitors’ tie downs.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-018.jpg

Chevy is also doubling-down on steel as the cargo area material. Still roll-formed high-strength steel to maximum yield strength, a new alloy is used with even more resistance to damage. However, the tailgate is made of aluminum. Chevy made it no secret that it uses the best material for the job during its live launch.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-002 - Edited.jpg

Corner step remains, but cutouts are now larger. The new Silverado will also be available with a class-exclusive fob-operated power up/down tailgate that can also be operated from the interior button or by hand. Other features will include available task lighting, a 120-volt power outlet.

Going to be expensive like everything else, but at least it's a pretty impressive truck. The design is definitely revolutionary this time around. Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure of owning one.

30 minutes ago, Daryl Z71 said:

Going to be expensive like everything else, but at least it's a pretty impressive truck. The design is definitely revolutionary this time around. Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure of owning one.

You will son!  Drive the ol beast into and switch it out in 1year!  This truck owns!

Interesting to see them cutting some waste out of the bed sidewalls. But it does make the wheel wells in the bed much more prominent. One of the few interesting things about the Titan is it seems to have very minimal wheel wells without much of a change in dimension of the rail height. 

I like the new storage boxes you can get for the bed.  I've looked at aftermarket boxes similar to these for a long time, but was never impressed enough to get one.  I am somewhat impressed with GMs rendition for these.  Hopefully if I get a new truck in the next couple years, I can get one with these boxes too.

Any word on towing capacity? Hope the -450 lbs. translates to at least 450 lbs. more cap. Pic shows covered plug in rear corner of box, would it be a 7 way trailer plug?

2 minutes ago, timdr10 said:

Any word on towing capacity? Hope the -450 lbs. translates to at least 450 lbs. more cap. Pic shows covered plug in rear corner of box, would it be a 7 way trailer plug?

7-pin is by the license plate. No manufacturer sets up a half ton for a 5th wheel/gooseneck and regardless that'd be too far back. I think it's a 115V household style plug.

17 minutes ago, MikeNH said:

7-pin is by the license plate. No manufacturer sets up a half ton for a 5th wheel/gooseneck and regardless that'd be too far back. I think it's a 115V household style plug.

One of the videos I watched over the weekend briefly mentioned the cap/cover by the tailgate and you're right - it is a 120V connection.  There's also camera connections above the 7-pin trailer plug for additional cameras that you can use the in dash unit to view.

On 1/14/2018 at 8:44 PM, MikeNH said:

So I think the truck has a bed mounted power outlet which is a nice touch. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 9.32.52 PM.png

Just hope it’s more than 80w like the current one, which is pretty much useless.

Archived