2018 Model Year the end of the Z71 Silverado?

I received an e-mail with a link to the new 2019 Silverado line-up. The Z71 is not listed in the trim levels. There are a couple new trim levels that include the "Trail Boss". I am assuming the Z71 trim level has been omitted or renamed here. Anybody  know about this?

Z71 Is going back to the way it was if you will on GMT-900 and older.  You can order it on LT and LTZ as a separate option, its not a dedicated trim package.  On TrailBoss its built into it however.  Note closely on the LTZ they showed.  Chrome bumpers but has a Z71 badge on the fender.   

Ford did this on the '15+ trucks. FX4 used to be a stand-alone model. Now it's a package available on most trim levels.

I imagine the Sierra will be similar. I would expect the All Terrain to carry over as a model (equipped like the Trail Boss) and including the Z71 package. 

59 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The big question is: Where did they find 450 pounds to lose?

They used different high strength steel alloys in the frame to reduce weight while maintaining rigidity and strength. Also the doors, hood, and tailgate are aluminum.

As for the OP’s concern; z71 still exists just not as a trim. The Trailboss includes z71 and other trim levels will have a z71 option.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

The big question is: Where did they find 450 pounds to lose?

88lbs in the frame alone.  24lbs for composite second stage leaf springs (the big bottom one).  I'm betting the aluminum doors/hood/tailgate play a big portion of the rest of that, and the high strength steel box and cab structural components as well. 

The Z71 was never a trim level. You a Ford guy? 

My Sierra was an SLE with the Z71 "package". My Silverado is an LT with the Z71 "package".

Ford USED to have the FX4 trim level. This is now a "package" that appears to be Ford's version of the Z71.

2 hours ago, adamj2121 said:

They used different high strength steel alloys in the frame to reduce weight while maintaining rigidity and strength. Also the doors, hood, and tailgate are aluminum.

As for the OP’s concern; z71 still exists just not as a trim. The Trailboss includes z71 and other trim levels will have a z71 option.

Isnt the hood and tailgate already aluminum? On the 16’s I wanna say the hood is for sure 

4 hours ago, adamj2121 said:

How long before the box is aluminum as well? You know it's coming. I suppose they want us to forget that incredibly stupid bricks in the bed ad first.

Archived