Skimped on interior

I don't know maybe I'm just really old school.  I like my trucks to be simple and rugged, not stuffed with the latest tech.  One of the things I love most about my 2014 is I can operate most of the controls for the HVAC and Radio completely blind.  I hardly use the touch screen feature because I hate having to focus on it while I'm driving.  The new Ram looks cool, but doing everything on the touch screen seems like a huge pain in the ass and adds tremendous cost to the vehicle.  At the end of the day, I want a solid engine, 4wd, basic tech to connect my phone so I can do hands free calling and stream some content from the phone (so Apple Car Play), rearview camera, rear AC vents, an auto dimming rearview mirror, and heated side mirrors.  I don't even want leather seats.  I'm concerned that the way these manufacturers like to package features that to just get some of these basic functions I have to pay up for an expensive trim level with a lot of extra features that, while certainly nice, I don't need or necessarily want.  The only reason I paid up for the Z71 in 2014 is so I could get a black grille without all the chrome.  The next go round I'll probably drop down to the regular LT unless the Trail Boss isn't ridiculously priced.

I agree. Simplicity. But another thing I don’t get is what happened to all the model options? Like for example say I want a reg cab with a 6.0 or a 5.3. My dealership only offers 4.3 in reg cabs. They don’t even have any ext cabs. It’s either reg cab 4.3 or a 4 door 5.3. Affordable, basic trucks of course. While Ram offers either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, carlshepard79 said:

I agree. Simplicity. But another thing I don’t get is what happened to all the model options? Like for example say I want a reg cab with a 6.0 or a 5.3. My dealership only offers 4.3 in reg cabs. They don’t even have any ext cabs. It’s either reg cab 4.3 or a 4 door 5.3. Affordable, basic trucks of course. While Ram offers either or.

GM is weak on regular cabs. They obviously want buyers going for double or crew cabs. However, you can get a 5.3L in a reg cab up to LT trim. You cannot get the 6.2L without the higher trims & the larger cab configurations. Your dealer may only stock the 4.3L, but you can find them elsewhere or place an order. 

Too note, the first & only truck I ever ordered was a 2000 GMC SLE 2wd reg cab/short bed with the 5.3L. Wish I would have kept that one. 

GM is weak on regular cabs. They obviously want buyers going for double or crew cabs. However, you can get a 5.3L in a reg cab up to LT trim. You cannot get the 6.2L without the higher trims & the larger cab configurations. Your dealer may only stock the 4.3L, but you can find them elsewhere or place an order. 

Too note, the first & only truck I ever ordered was a 2000 GMC SLE 2wd reg cab/short bed with the 5.3L. Wish I would have kept that one. 

Thanks for the info. I really didn’t know about the reg cab option up to the LT. I’ll probably be in the market for one this coming summer. If all goes well.

Having spend a bunch of years in the autoparts supply chain I can assure you that GM builds what they think they can sell, not what they want to build. 

Do they prefer to sell more expensive vehicles and higher level trims -- of course they do, but volumes built are based on volumes sold.  

Dealers stock what they are able to sell.  If they sell more crews, they're gonna stock more crews -- it only makes good business sense to do so.  

It's been a long long time since regular cab 1500's outsold extended/double cabs.    Especially the 6.5 ft box reg cabs.

They didn't skimp on the interior, it isn't a car people. GM actually puts out interiors that look and are useful to truck people. The last gen was done excellently, so why wouldn't they just improve on that? Too many car owners now a days going to trucks complaining about ride and petty stuff their cars had.

For those talking about cheap and quality, please tell use what it was like to sit in it and feel and touch everything. You can't make any judegement about quality, fit and finish based on a picture. I promise it is far from cheap and lacking quality. Everything is going more upscale in terms of materials and GM has and will continue to as well so lets not asume what is incorrect...

They did a good job on the interior, some more tech and features for those that were crying about it (blind spot, push start, rear vents, ect) and kept in useful for truck people while looking good and truck like. Not sure what there is to complain about. They added most everything you all were whinning about (they even added rear heated seats) and gave it tons more storage and a much larger bed. How about instead of brining up how it compares to a car we compare what it does best and was designed to do, be a truck. These threads are hilarious...

Tyler

Regular cabs really have become just a small niche market due to their limitations. They just don't have the space or versatility that most people need/want. My first 2 trucks were reg cabs; a 73 and an 84. My last 2 trucks; an 06 and now a 17 have been ext/dbl cabs.

Honestly, I could never go back to a reg cab & I'm only hauling myself around & occasionally some friends. The double and crew cab trucks are just waaaay too handy for many things.

Regular cabs are not cheap neither . A well equipped rc will msrp about 45,000 with 4 wheel 5.3. There is no high end regular cab option so many items not available . Many times with the discounts of double cabs you can buy them for about the same money optioned the same .

I agree with many of the posts here!  Every time GM does a camera shot of their interiors they look horrendous this has been going on for years!  When we actually get to see one and look and feel it's completely different and the quality becomes apparent.  Let's face it the current GM-K2's are extremely easy to use and that is what's important to me/ functionality........For a Truck that was designed pre 2014 I can do things the FERD still can't and the Touch screen is just big enough.  I believe most of us will have different impression after seeing it in real life too.

If they polled me as one of the 7,000 for questions...they would probably get almost the same responses and come up with same type of interior...I do like change but functionally it has to work easy/peasy....and GM has countless other vehicles to put this computer in while FIAT probably has 1qty the RAM and that does not make dollar sense from a manufacturing standpoint......  

6 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

They didn't skimp on the interior, it isn't a car people. GM actually puts out interiors that look and are useful to truck people. The last gen was done excellently, so why wouldn't they just improve on that? Too many car owners now a days going to trucks complaining about ride and petty stuff their cars had.

For those talking about cheap and quality, please tell use what it was like to sit in it and feel and touch everything. You can't make any judegement about quality, fit and finish based on a picture. I promise it is far from cheap and lacking quality. Everything is going more upscale in terms of materials and GM has and will continue to as well so lets not asume what is incorrect...

They did a good job on the interior, some more tech and features for those that were crying about it (blind spot, push start, rear vents, ect) and kept in useful for truck people while looking good and truck like. Not sure what there is to complain about. They added most everything you all were whinning about (they even added rear heated seats) and gave it tons more storage and a much larger bed. How about instead of brining up how it compares to a car we compare what it does best and was designed to do, be a truck. These threads are hilarious...

Tyler

It's not about skimping or quality -- it's about design.

I agree with you that the features are easy to use for truck owners, especially with gloves on.  That's one of the things that GM does better than the competition.  I also agree that you can't tell about the quality until you actually touch/use the interior.

What people are saying is that the interior is UGLY.  It really does look like a mashup of different pieces and colors just thrown together.  It looks very "unplanned" and that tends to make it look cheap.  If they can do a nicer interior on the SUV's (which use the same switches/screens/etc) than why can't they do on the trucks?

1 hour ago, sk said:

It's not about skimping or quality -- it's about design.

I agree with you that the features are easy to use for truck owners, especially with gloves on.  That's one of the things that GM does better than the competition.  I also agree that you can't tell about the quality until you actually touch/use the interior.

What people are saying is that the interior is UGLY.  It really does look like a mashup of different pieces and colors just thrown together.  It looks very "unplanned" and that tends to make it look cheap.  If they can do a nicer interior on the SUV's (which use the same switches/screens/etc) than why can't they do on the trucks?

They should just add the SUV interior into the Denali's and High Country's. Similar to what the LTZ & SLT did back in the GMT900.

Any pics of the speaker placement in the doors? Whoever designed the K2XX interior & placed the speakers an in from the bottom should be fired. The grilles are scuffed & dirty on mine especially since it's winter around here, from people getting in & out with slushy/snowy boots.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:49 AM, carlshepard79 said:

That’s probably due to the dealership itself ordering those combos due to customer demand, chances are if you’re getting a reg cab you’re just using it as a basic work truck no bells or whistles. You can special order it no charge through the dealership with options you want, but usually they want a down payment to know they’re not wasting a dime on a potentially unsellable truck.

Archived