Skimped on interior

I do like how GM is incorporating at HUD in their trucks, definitely a plus, I hope it’s standard on GMC’s.

But overall, while watching hours of videos on the interior of this new truck, I wasn’t sure if they were sitting in a 2018 or if I clicked the wrong video to the current gen interior. 

Nothing major has changed! The trailer brake control is a good step forward, and the small control cluster to the left of the dash is decent but well overdue. The incorporation of rear vents is good, but wtf they look like a dollar general version of what Ram has done to theirs. 

GM, as far as interiors has reacted, not innovated. But other wise good job on other things 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That’s probably due to the dealership itself ordering those combos due to customer demand, chances are if you’re getting a reg cab you’re just using it as a basic work truck no bells or whistles. You can special order it no charge through the dealership with options you want, but usually they want a down payment to know they’re not wasting a dime on a potentially unsellable truck.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I think I’m gonna go with the ext cab. Although I like the reg cabs looks better, the ext cab with the hidden door handles makes better sense for my usage. The last truck I bought new was a 2011 reg cab, 5.3. After a few months I regretted not getting the ext cab for the xtra room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be going to the auto show here in Houston tomorrow and will try to snap some pics of the interior. I'm hoping that they only look ugly in the pictures or at least offer different multi color schemes than what they have shown in the press release thus far. That brown and black in my opinion is just gaudy.

One thing I did see on one of the high country interior shots I did not see any button for the vented seats. Only saw 2 buttons for the heated seats. One is for the back and one is for back and bottom? Any thoughts? Maybe they are optional. I did see the vented seat button in the trailboss interior. 

I agree with you 100% , the interior although very nice improvements made, still is lacking . 

Vs the Ford/Dodge , it just do-sent look as nice. And where is my fully flat rear floor ? 

Then again GM has not always been known for their interiors. If they hit it out of the park with their new engines, i dont think the interior will be talked about as much  . 

On 1/17/2018 at 1:49 AM, carlshepard79 said:

I agree. Simplicity. But another thing I don’t get is what happened to all the model options? Like for example say I want a reg cab with a 6.0 or a 5.3. My dealership only offers 4.3 in reg cabs. They don’t even have any ext cabs. It’s either reg cab 4.3 or a 4 door 5.3. Affordable, basic trucks of course. While Ram offers either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2018 at 2:20 AM, '01LS1 said:

GM is weak on regular cabs. They obviously want buyers going for double or crew cabs. However, you can get a 5.3L in a reg cab up to LT trim. You cannot get the 6.2L without the higher trims & the larger cab configurations. Your dealer may only stock the 4.3L, but you can find them elsewhere or place an order. 

Too note, the first & only truck I ever ordered was a 2000 GMC SLE 2wd reg cab/short bed with the 5.3L. Wish I would have kept that one. 

Yep they're driving customers to those bigger trucks and more expensive trim levels.  It's all marketing to generate $$$$$.  I'd argue a good majority of silverado owners want, at a minimum, the 5.3 V8.  So by not offering that in the regular cab, they can sell more of the bigger cab trucks assuming a customer is willing to pay up a little to get the V8.  Also, consider that marketing isn't just commercials on TV and highway billboards.  It's also the trucks you see on the road every day driving around.  So if they can help generate more customers of the larger cab trucks, they create a bigger presence on the road of those bigger trucks.  So when Joe Somebody is driving around in his Hyundai Santa Fe dreaming of buying a truck, he's more likely to see that LTZ Crew Cab next to him at the intersection than he is a regular cab.  I could be off, but that's my assessment of why they do it.  And the other manufacturers are doing the same thing.  It's business.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Jeffro19 said:

One thing I did see on one of the high country interior shots I did not see any button for the vented seats. Only saw 2 buttons for the heated seats. One is for the back and one is for back and bottom? Any thoughts? Maybe they are optional. I did see the vented seat button in the trailboss interior. 

I seen on here somewhere, someone said it a possibility that when the prototype trucks was made for the show they assembled the wrong buttons in the trail boss and the high country, seems very possible. I kind of thought its too good to be true to have cooled cloth seats! especially in a LT

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pickmeup said:

Interior is just more of the same hard plastic . Could not help but notice the ''air curtains'' on the frontal shot ....Ugly.

So you sat in it? That's awesome! What parts were hard and which were soft? Was the dash soft? Any areas where you commonly touch or rest your arm were they hard or soft? Inquiring minds want to you.I am guessing you also sat in a new Dodge as well? What were the differences that you noticed in certain spots you touched?

As far as the air curtains, function > looks. Since they save money I am all for it, plus it gives a somewhat unique look if that is possible for a truck...

Tyler

On 1/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, stefman722 said:

I like the interior of my 2017. I'm just saying the new one looks the same in comparison and for a new truck they could have done better. 

Man I’ve just spent the last hour really going over all the pictures I’m seeing, while actually sitting in my truck(being able to instantly compare).  Yes there are similarities, but there’s a lot different as well.  

To me the general flow flow of how the dash and center consol is the same,  but button layouts, down to the shape of the vents are even different, but hard to tell without looking at both.

honestly I’m happy with the interior BECAUSE the didn’t change the whole feel.  I didn’t get the 2010 model era truck because to me they tried to hard to make the trucks interior look like a car, instead of just putting the nice features we want into a beefy tough interior. The 2010 models looked and felt to fake for me,  when I’d ride in my dads it felt like we were in a crossover.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was a die hard GM truck owner and fan for about 25 years up until I bought a 2013 Ram. Back then the things that appealed to me on the Ram that changed my mind was the ride from the coil over rear suspension, the smooth shifts and acceleration from the 8 speed transmission and 5.7 engine, and the Uconnect user interface.  I own 2 other GM vehicles with the My Link user interface and it does not hold a candle to the Uconnect.  Maybe the 2019 My Link is improved, I don't know.  It's my opinion of course, but in the past GM was always ahead of the curve compared to Ram (Dodge) but definitely not in 2013 when I cross shopped the 2 brands.  I'm very interested in comparing the 2 brands again but only seeing pictures, so fare I have to give it to Ram on the interior and I can't decide on the exterior from pictures alone.  I'm holding judgment on that for when I see them in person.  I'm in the market for a new truck soon so I will certainly be cross shopping the 2 brands again.  I used to be brand loyal but now not so much. I now have an open mind when it comes to new truck shopping because I don't think you can really know until you test drive.

p.s.  I've never considered a Ford F150 so I'm not going to comment on them.

Archived