2019 RAM Has A Massive 12-Inch Uconnect System

Zane

GM really screwed up with the interior.  They even said on the TFL truck video they saw no need to change much of anything.  I'm very disappointed with how they did a great job on everything then the interior they stopped.  The Ram interior designers really thought of every detail and improved everything even rear seats can be heated, cooled, and recline.  The Chevy layout is fine but it looks cheap and plasticy.  I hope GMC has its own interior that is on par with Ram and Ford.

[emoji1312] THIS. Just like the corvettes of a few years ago. Interiors continued to be terrible as everything else Improved. Big MSRP on these trucks, decent interiors now, but clearly no plan for ‘updates’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Introducing the new 2039 Ram 1600, feast your eyes on the new 55" Uconnect infotainment system. The main feature is that you can access your HVAC system and every other conceivable control that is now hooked into the system while wearing your mittens! 

But sir I can't see out of the windshield.

Hey punk, that's OK it doesn't matter what you can't see, we are Ram, bigger is better except we don't have the bigger selling numbers that GM has.

Edited by timdr10
  • Haha 1

Like everyone else it seems I prefer the physical buttons and knobs. I do enjoy the screen for changing settings, and wish there were more option to customize there, but outside that I prefer the physical buttons to pretty much everything.

Biggest problem with all these new screens is that the latency between press and the system performing the function is horrendous. They are showing a tech demo here with the screen and you can see the slowness of the map moving around. That gets me as you know the longer you have it the worse it's gonna get.

Also agree with other comments about RAM and Ford interiors looking better. The new chevy is nasty in my opinion, and I would even give RAM a shot if it weren't for that stupid knob for changing gear.

10 hours ago, timdr10 said:

Introducing the new 2039 Ram 1600, feast your eyes on the new 55" Uconnect infotainment system. The main feature is that you can access your HVAC system and every other conceivable control that is now hooked into the system while wearing your mittens! 

But sir I can't see out of the windshield.

Hey punk, that's OK it doesn't matter what you can't see, we are Ram, bigger is better except we don't have the bigger selling numbers that GM.

This. Haha. Also, don’t get into a car accident with one. Worst crash test ratings of any truck. 

I'm not opposed to touchscreen controls, after all it is the 21st century, and has been for quite a while.

What I am opposed to is not having constant access to basic vehicle functions.  Like, if it's cold and I need my defrost, I don't want to have to wade through several screens.

My old boss drove a MDX and it was amazing how far he has to drill down to turn his heated seats off.  My truck is one button, that I can hit without even looking at it.

Though, with the voice recognition maturing out there, maybe actually touching buttons or screens is old school . . . 

16 minutes ago, kilowhiskey said:

This. Haha. Also, don’t get into a car accident with one. Worst crash test ratings of any truck. 

Will be interested to see how the crash testing data shakes out on the 2019's. Ram is showing front splayed rails on the new frame & another piece of steel behind the A-arms are in place to address the off set frontal crash testing. Both GM & Ram have been knocked for roof strength of the cabs in the past. No idea if either have addressed that. 

As for screens. Saw a clip of the CES in Vegas with Samsung debuting a 146" 4k & a 85" 8k. The 146" is just called the wall. So as phones & tv's go with getting larger in each generation, would assume the same for vehicles in the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIrem-9hEc

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Also, I test drove a Ram last week and I did not care for the turn knob for the gear selector, I really prefer the shifter on the column to anywhere else, it wastes space in the center console and requires too much fine motor skill when it's a turn knob.

The dial shifter is their because the ZF8 auto is fully electronic, the 6 Speeds still use a column shifter, my Ram is a 6 speed.

On 2018-01-15 at 2:27 PM, Payton34 said:

GM really screwed up with the interior.  They even said on the TFL truck video they saw no need to change much of anything.  I'm very disappointed with how they did a great job on everything then the interior they stopped.  The Ram interior designers really thought of every detail and improved everything even rear seats can be heated, cooled, and recline.  The Chevy layout is fine but it looks cheap and plasticy.  I hope GMC has its own interior that is on par with Ram and Ford.

I agree, one of the many reasons that I bought my Ram.  I love the touch screen, no need to have all those dials and buttons cluttering the dash up.  Touch screen is equally reliable, and more appealing.

I don’t know who their customer base is that they consult, but they need to look for more.

The touch screen on the Ram at work has been working off and on for the past 5 months. Nothing wrong according to Dodge. The guys that drive it are sure happy the HVAC controls are not attached to it. Especially in this -30 degree weather. I like touch screens, but they shouldn't be the device used to control everything, Once it fails you lose everything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WilliamBos said:

The dial shifter is their because the ZF8 auto is fully electronic, the 6 Speeds still use a column shifter, my Ram is a 6 speed.

It's there because Dodge thinks it's a cool way to shift gears IMO all trucks should have column shift.. If it's fully electronic it means they can make the shifter any design they just think the knob is a better mouse trap... I'm fine with that it's their choice, I just prefer the ole tree shifter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

It's there because Dodge thinks it's a cool way to shift gears IMO all trucks should have column shift.. If it's fully electronic it means they can make the shifter any design they just think the knob is a better mouse trap... I'm fine with that it's their choice, I just prefer the ole tree shifter.

Wrong - the trans is a ZF 8 speed unit (now built by Chrysler under licence from ZF, Chrysler is not the only manufacturer using this trans.) which is fully electronic - the only cable provision on it is a park over ride cable which is under a panel below the headlight switch. 

The 6 speed trucks have a column shifter  - not a dial.  My 17 Ram has the 65RFE 6 speed which has a column shifter.

Edited by WilliamBos

He's not wrong. You can make a column or even a console shifter, shift an electronic transmission. They are still just switches which can indicate electronically what gear the transmission needs to be in. Dodge just uses the knob as a gimmick to be different then the other manufacturers. Personally I prefer the column shifter as well, but would except a console shifter. I can't stand the knob, I driven the trucks with them and I won't be buying one because of it. 

• Like 1