My GM nightmare

My introduction and disaster.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums but looking for some resources. I'll try to shorten my long story that unfortunately hasn't concluded as of yet.

After years of planning to buy/purchase a New Silverado, finally on December 23rd 2017 I picked up a brand new 2018 2LT Z71 2018 Silverado with 5.5 miles on it. Fast forward a whopping 16 days and my truck is in the shop for what can only be described as a waterfall sized leak coming through the firewall underneath the Windshield wiper housing.... 2 days later the service department has every single piece of interior out of the inside of the truck and the entire dashboard and steering column removed... Mind you this truck has 276 miles on it, it's officially been in the shop 50% of the time I've owned it.

Finally the service supervisor brings up the fact that we can do a "Trade in, re-purchase" and from my understanding this will basically be GM buying back the truck and placing me in a like model with no money out of my pocket. However as these dealings progress I'm finding out that the dealership isn't in to much of a hurry to do anything about this. Additionally the dealership seems to be nickle and diming me as we search for a similar truck. I.e. (You're truck has lug locks, and this one doesn't, but it has side step rails and that's a $300 difference in MSRP blah blah blah)

Has anyone had experience with these? I mean it's a 56,000$ truck with less than 300 miles on it, what do I need to be Leary of and how can I protect myself... I've been a Chevy fan my entire life and this truck has officially been in the shop 3 days longer then my Colorado I had for over 15 years........ I'm at the point where I think I need to Lawyer up and look into a full buy back. Do I just wait this out? Cruising a POS Malibu loaner as I wait?

Any advice is appreciated.

- M

I suggest waiting on the 'lawyer up' initiative for a bit.

Although things like this are a bit annoying, let's put things in perspective- 

It's been less than a month and they're already trying to replace your vehicle- that's a good thing! They must have determined that they can't fix it, which would be their first priority. That alone takes time. Plus, add in the holiday season which drags things out a bit as well.

Be prepared to pay a few bux for a couple trinkets if needed. It's not the end of the world. The dealer isn't making anything off this process & appears(along with GM) to be trying to make you whole. They'll try to find something on a dealer lot that matches your vehicle as close as possible. This process is actually costing the dealer time and money. Your vehicle dropped in value as soon as you took it home, so getting a matching replacement vehicle is a good thing. 

Many people have to go thru many months of back and forth before getting to where you are in this process.

Although it's a bit frustrating, give it a bit of time and see how things go, but be prepared for the possibility of paying for a couple options you may not have had on the first truck. With some luck & a bit of pleading maybe the dealer will give you those at cost.

Just some thoughts......

Archived