FCA US Launches All-New Ram 1500 – Specs, Photos, Video

Gorehamj

ram 19 front motion.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-15-2018

Ram launched its new 1500 today at the Detroit Auto show. Highlights of the launch include a new eTorque mild hybrid system that increases payload by 22% and towing capability by 20% due to its significant torque increases at low RPM.

eTorque ram.jpg

The New Ram also has a class-leading infotainment setup that takes FCA’s already popular UConnect system to a place no other truck seems to be in terms of size. The new Ram also has revised air suspension options, more high strength steel in its frame and other key areas which brings down weight, and is longer, wider and more aerodynamic than the outgoing model.

Does the new Ram sound to you in some ways like the new Silverado? If so, watch the launch video and it will sound even more similar since its launch host also has a foreign accent, just like the two hosts of the Silverado launch event! Rule Britannia!

ram 19 interior.jpg

“The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 delivers a no-compromise approach to the full-size truck segment with strength, durability, technology and efficiency,” said Mike Manley, Head of Ram Brand. “The Ram 1500 offers truck buyers leading-edge innovation with 225 pounds of weight reduction, 12,750 pounds of towing capability, a stunning Uconnect 12-inch touchscreen display and active systems that improve fuel efficiency and assist drivers. The Ram 1500 stands out as the benchmark in a very competitive segment.”

ram family 19.jpg

The new Ram has many other interesting tidbits added. Ram says there are now 100 safety features to bore you. One plus of the new mild hybrid system is that when the truck shuts off (yup, stop-start), the new system is what powers the re-start. The parking brake is now electronic. There is a new 4X4 off-road package with cool stuff.

ram 1500 rebel rear 19.jpg

Both Ford and GM are bragging that their new diesel engines now to Ram’s. However, Ram made sure to point out that its 1500 has a new diesel engine coming in 2019 that will “Regain all of its titles.” It sounds like 2019 is the year of the diesel.

ram back seat 19.jpg

The new Ram has many very specific improvements we will explore in the coming week with focus stories and comparison and contrast stories showing where Silverado stands among the new lineup of trucks for 2019.

Check out our focus on the UConnect infotainment system here.

In my opinion the nicest interior to be had.  All I need is mortgage approval to buy one.  The one hangup I'd have over giving this truck a shot is FCA's dead last reliability scores.  You might need their comfy cushy interior while you are waiting for the tow.  Overall a great looking truck.  Not too sure they stepped up the game in powertrain to the level of both Ford & GM when it comes to fuel savings.  They lost 225 lbs, but I still think they are the heaviest of the Big 3.  they haven't updated since 2009 and there isn't a big wow when it comes to engines or powertrains.  The hybrid and its use in auto stop start would give me pause, again with reliability.  None the less, with reliability, I'd be totally fine with this truck parked in my driveway.

58 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

In my opinion the nicest interior to be had.  All I need is mortgage approval to buy one.  The one hangup I'd have over giving this truck a shot is FCA's dead last reliability scores.  You might need their comfy cushy interior while you are waiting for the tow.  Overall a great looking truck.  Not too sure they stepped up the game in powertrain to the level of both Ford & GM when it comes to fuel savings.  They lost 225 lbs, but I still think they are the heaviest of the Big 3.  they haven't updated since 2009 and there isn't a big wow when it comes to engines or powertrains.  The hybrid and its use in auto stop start would give me pause, again with reliability.  None the less, with reliability, I'd be totally fine with this truck parked in my driveway.

Exactly. They’re horrible when it comes to reliability. Check out their crash tests. It’s terrifying to see what happens to the dummy. 

That new Rebel is beautiful, inside and out.  If they increased the size/output of the EcoDiesel and offer it in a Rebel, I'm there!

You all are talking about reliability, but by whose standards?  JD Power's, for whom GM is a major sponsor??  Or Consumer Reports, who don't like anything but Toyotas and Subarus?

I know someone who has had a Ram Rebel Hemi 4x4 for 3 years and he is very picky.  The only problems he has had whatsoever are loosening adhesive on a fender flare and tailgate cap--stuff that other folks probably would have never noticed.  As compared to my Silverado, which has kept me on a first-name basis with my GM dealer's Service Mgr/Service Writer/Parts Mgt/Service Techs for years now!  Not to mention that FCA offers free software updates during regular maintenance, and in my experience, GM says no software updates are available until you are off of warranty, then they say you need them and you'll have to pay for it!  

Talk about crash tests on the last model.  I'd bet the new model does well.  Remember that GM trucks are only second to Ford in crash tests.

I'm not sold on the exterior yet, but that interior is best in class.  

RAM likes to wow with features and talk, as does Ford.  But I still remain unimpressed by quality and style.  GM still rocks in both of those far above the other two.  I suspect the 2019+ will continue that trend, even though they may not be quite a flashy or "as good on paper" (which we all know is B.S.)

RAM's 12" screen might amaze at first.  I just have to lean back on GM's push for simplicity yet still provide needed features first mentality.  Consumer Reports recently released a report showing that those fancy center screens are the #1 distraction of drivers these days (beyond the obvious reason, cell phones...)  So why would I need 12" of distraction?  I don't.  I do wish GM would move above 8", due to my aging eye sight if anything else.  But I love their approach to simplicity and to get the job done quickly and efficiently instead of over consuming my time and effort on features that are just too much to get the simple tasks done.

And on the sunroof.  Skin cancer is a real issue guys.  I'd prefer my truck not have a sun roof, and I will tint every front door window too.  UV is a killer. 

FCA is limiting the 12" touchscreen to the upper trims. I'd hate to have it die outside of the B2B warranty. That thing has to be very expensive.

The interiors look great but I can't forgive Ram's insistence on that terrible shift dial. 

I can't believe Ram is STILL using the same 5.7 Hemi from 2009. It's bizarre to me that they went to such great lengths to cut weight but they ignored that ancient iron block. An updated 5.7 aluminum block Hemi would save 100-125 lbs easily. The engine is STILL using port fuel injection. The 5.7 would have benefited from DI more than most engines since it requires 89 octane.

They mentioned composite upper control arms. At first I assumed they meant carbon fiber or some kind of nylon/fiberglass composite. Nope. I was wrong. It's a thin piece of stamped steel with plastic molded over it. Not crazy about it.

The progressive springs is a major improvement that Ram has needed ever since they went to a coil spring rear suspension. The suspension sag in the past was absolutely awful. I wonder if they made any changes to the air ride system to make it more reliable in the cold. A coworker's air ride system decided to fail last week after a stretch of below zero highs. It was pretty hilarious seeing the 3" rake  plus 1-1/2" side to side rake. He said it rode like shit on the ride to work HAHA.

Between the massively complex electrical system in this new truck, and the new "heated" rear diff, there's way too much stuff that could go wrong that I don't want to deal with.

Archived