4wd issue

I have a 2004 silverado with the manual 4wd lever on the transmission hump.  I was using 4wd in the snow, without issue.  I disengaged as the road was clearing, as i turned onto a side road I attempted to put back into 4wd and the lever would not budge.   i could not pull it back to put into 4 hi, I could not push it and get it to go into neutral.  I jacked it up to make sure there wasn't anything obstructing the linkage, it is clear.  I tried putting into 4 hi while rolling forward and reverse, in park, in neutral.  Every way I could try, but I could not get the lever to engage.  Something in the transfer case must be binding.  I don't hear any unusual noises while trying to engage.  I know I'll have to remove the transfer case, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar issue, and what I should potentially be looking for.  Is there anything else I can try before removing the transfer case?  

Probably bent the locking fork. I have run into this several times when people do not use there 4 wheel drive often. Remove and seperate the case and you should see the problem right away. 

If you don't have a set get a set of Flat snap ring pliers for separating the case. You will thank me later.

http://amzn.to/2DGTQ12

I would jack up the rear end (& put it on jackstands), then try shifting while rotating the driveshaft, just to see if you can get it to shift (as it's a pain to remove the TC if you don't have too...).  Also see if anything is around the shaft/lever on the TC that is jamming it (like a stone or a stick?).

But, if it still doesn't shift at all, then take it would and crack it open.  Short of something physically striking/jamming on the shift lever, it is unlikely the fork is bent (as they are pretty well forged, you are more likely to bend the shift lever in the cab or the linkage before bending the fork).  It could be worn out or something else has broken and jammed the mechanism inside.

And if you are doing it (remove and open), I would suggest:

-anaerobic flange sealer for sealing the two case halves

-replacing the output shaft bushing & seal (it's been 14 years...)

-pump rub pressed metal plate if it doesn't have a pump rub fix installed

Look at the other seals if they are leaking.

Maybe I am being misunderstood. By bent I don't mean bent in half or like the letter S. I mean kinda twisted or well "slightly bent" lol is a better word for it. It will angle it just enough to keep it from sliding onto the gears. I could probably find a few at the dealership and take a couple pictures of them. They get bent when the gears aren't fully engaged and that's the weak link.

As far as it being a pain to take out...

If you have a lift it should take you 30 minutes.

Without 45?

Archived