2013 broken door handle now remote start wont work

My door got frozen shut and i pulled on it to break free...well handle broke on the driver side. It still operates but the handle is broken on the key side. The fob still works locking and unlocking but the remote start wont work. I used the remote start right before i broke the handle so i know it is door handle related. How is the door handle tied into the remote start?

I plan to replace door handle but want to make sure i get the remote start working before i assemble everything back together.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, twistedtoys03 said:

My door got frozen shut and i pulled on it to break free...well handle broke on the driver side. It still operates but the handle is broken on the key side. The fob still works locking and unlocking but the remote start wont work. I used the remote start right before i broke the handle so i know it is door handle related. How is the door handle tied into the remote start?

I plan to replace door handle but want to make sure i get the remote start working before i assemble everything back together.

Thanks

I replaced the handle on my 2010 recently. Unless yours is different there were no wires hooked to the actual handle itself, at all. Is your check engine light on?

36 minutes ago, twistedtoys03 said:

Engine light is not one. How long did it take to replace?

I bought it on Amazon for about 20. YouTube handle install from 1aauto.com I think it is. Got to have needle nose pliers but it's pretty straight forward. Took me about 20 mins or so. Hardest part is releasing the interior door handle cable which is what you need the pliers for. 

I bought it on Amazon for about 20. YouTube handle install from 1aauto.com I think it is. Got to have needle nose pliers but it's pretty straight forward. Took me about 20 mins or so. Hardest part is releasing the interior door handle cable which is what you need the pliers for. 
Ok thanks...i will look that up. It is weird that the remote start stopped working immediately after i pulled and broke the handle. You mentioned there were no wires going to it.
Maybe the handle makes contact with a metal part that allows the circuit to close?
Once i get the handle off I will take a closer look.

17 minutes ago, twistedtoys03 said:

Ok thanks...i will look that up. It is weird that the remote start stopped working immediately after i pulled and broke the handle. You mentioned there were no wires going to it.
Maybe the handle makes contact with a metal part that allows the circuit to close?
Once i get the handle off I will take a closer look.

Yes it is weird, there aren't any wires going to the handle which actually is plastic. I honestly think something was changed besides the handle though. I'm pretty sure it can be disabled through the options in the dash, and other than that I know the CEL will disable it as well. I feel like as long as the lock key is pressed it's more electronic than mechanical but maybe the lock isn't going down. Sit inside the truck and do the start sequence and make sure all the locks are down

Yes it is weird, there aren't any wires going to the handle which actually is plastic. I honestly think something was changed besides the handle though. I'm pretty sure it can be disabled through the options in the dash, and other than that I know the CEL will disable it as well. I feel like as long as the lock key is pressed it's more electronic than mechanical but maybe the lock isn't going down. Sit inside the truck and do the start sequence and make sure all the locks are down
That very well may be. About 10 min ago the alarm went off all by itself. I was inside...keys were on counter...and all of my kids were inside playing on their ps4 so I know it wasn't them lol. Once it warms up a little bit I will go through the options on the dash...good idea i forgot about that.

2 minutes ago, twistedtoys03 said:

That very well may be. About 10 min ago the alarm went off all by itself. I was inside...keys were on counter...and all of my kids were inside playing on their ps4 so I know it wasn't them lol. Once it warms up a little bit I will go through the options on the dash...good idea i forgot about that.

Sounds like an electronic issue unfortunately

9 hours ago, twistedtoys03 said:

Thanks

One of reasons you shouldn't wash your vehicles in the winter unless you immediately put them in a heated garage.

you figure it out?
Yes i did. Driver side back door was slightly cracked open. I tried opening it when it had ice around the door and didnt notice it unlatch.
Front driver side door handle ($20) was replaced in about 2 hours..took me a while longer than average because i kept getting side tracked by the cervesas in my cooler.
So yeah..it is solved. Thanks for asking.

8 hours ago, twistedtoys03 said:

Yes i did. Driver side back door was slightly cracked open. I tried opening it when it had ice around the door and didnt notice it unlatch.
Front driver side door handle ($20) was replaced in about 2 hours..took me a while longer than average because i kept getting side tracked by the cervesas in my cooler.
So yeah..it is solved. Thanks for asking.

Never would have thought of that but knew it had to be something simple and good to know remote start wont work with door not fully closed. the clip on the cable for the inside handle is the worst part of the whole deal. glad you got it figured out

Archived