4.3 V6 gone in 2019?

Donstar

I heard that GM will still offer three engine choices with the new inline 6 cyl. diesel and the current two V8's.  This means the current 4.3 will not be in the lineup.(?)  If this is true, I understand from a marketing perspective.  Personally, I believe this is unfortunate.  Unless they make the diesel the base motor, which they won't, the 5.3 will now replace the V6 as the base motor.  This will help drive up the price of the lower trim level trucks and increase sales of the optional engines.  

There are still a lot of unknown details about the Silverado. FCA dumped all they had on their new product, yet Chevrolet just hinted on what is to come. So would wait for the official announcement. Maybe they are waiting to release more details with GMC or do not want to kill the sales of the 2018's?

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I heard that GM will still offer three engine choices with the new inline 6 cyl. diesel and the current two V8's.  This means the current 4.3 will not be in the lineup.(?)  If this is true, I understand from a marketing perspective.  Personally, I believe this is unfortunate.  Unless they make the diesel the base motor, which they won't, the 5.3 will now replace the V6 as the base motor.  This will help drive up the price of the lower trim level trucks and increase sales of the optional engines.  

Donstar.....don't worry the 4.3L is not going anywhere!  It's a little beast about to get more beastly and into the 2019 Silverado's.......So take your 1K prepayment back from FERD......

• Like 2

I believe the reveal indicated there would be 6 powertrain options available. What those options are beyond the 5.3, 6.2, and diesel is unknown at this point. My guess is 4.3 w/6spd or 8spd, 5.3 w/6sp or 8spd, 5.3 w/10spd, 6.2 w/10spd, 3.0 w/10spd, and one other option that I have no guess as to what it is.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

I believe the reveal indicated there would be 6 powertrain options available. What those options are beyond the 5.3, 6.2, and diesel is unknown at this point. My guess is 4.3 w/6spd or 8spd, 5.3 w/6sp or 8spd, 5.3 w/10spd, 6.2 w/10spd, 3.0 w/10spd, and one other option that I have no guess as to what it is.

I appreciate that information is limited at this point and some statements may not even be accurate.  You get one chance to make a first impression so I guess they want to lead with what they believe the majority want to hear. BTW  Introducing a small diesel would have made a greater impact years ago, imo.   The significant improvement in efficiency  and performance with gas engines has impacted the desire to own a diesel.

It's a useless option IMO, for the $1000 they charge for a 5.3 and having owned trucks with both motors I would never even consider another 4.3... If the 4.3 got 3-4 mpg more than the 5.3 or cost 3-4k less than a 5.3 I would consider it but,  even then I would really think long and hard unless they found a way to put another 20-30 hp into the motor.... I know it's reliable as dirt and it's sufficient for moving the lumbering beast but, if I wanted a sufficient vehicle I wouldn't be driving a full size truck..... It just doesn't make sense for me outside of fleet use because clearly when you're buying 20 trucks and you can save $1000 on all of 'em and the guy doin' the payin' ain't the guy doin' the drivin' it's easy to make that decision but, I bet the bosses truck has the V8 lol...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

BTW  Introducing a small diesel would have made a greater impact years ago, imo.   The significant improvement in efficiency  and performance with gas engines has impacted the desire to own a diesel.

I agree I was shopping Colorado's with the baby Dmax vs the 3.6 and with the extra cost of the diesel motor and the extra cost of the fuel, if you're  after the diesel for savings in operating costs you just can't save any $$ running the truck year over year... I know you get an extra 700-1000# of towing capacity....

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

I agree I was shopping Colorado's with the baby Dmax vs the 3.6 and with the extra cost of the diesel motor and the extra cost of the fuel, if you're  after the diesel for savings in operating costs you just can't save any $$ running the truck year over year... I know you get an extra 700-1000# of towing capacity....

Yeah, the baby DMAX can save you but you need to pound the miles and hold it long much longer than most people hold vehicles.  If your a contractor and constantly towing then that is your baby!

12 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

It's a useless option IMO, for the $1000 they charge for a 5.3 

Your points are good.  If they drop the 4.3, they will no longer charge $1000 for the 5.3.  It will probably become the base motor and the extra cost will be added on to the truck.  The priority option for many consumers is engine so the optional engines will be the 6.2 or the diesel. These will enjoy a boost in sales.  Previously,  I enjoyed several new full sized trucks when the optional engine would take you from a base 100 hp to a whopping 150 hp. with almost 1/2  the MPG and power of the current base engine.    I like power but if I can get $1000 to buy other options,  285 +or - a few horsepower is a fine choice.

I'm beginning to doubt the 4.3 will be an engine option in 2019. It seems very strange to me that they would have left it out of the reveal on Saturday. Somebody else suggested that maybe the latest 3.6 LGZ used in the 2017+ Colorado would replace it. The LGZ already has AFM, so the next step forward would be an LGZ-based engine with dynamic skip fire.

A turbocharged LGZ could also be a future engine that they haven't disclosed yet. I have to think that GM is going to come up with some turbocharged option to match Ford's offerings.

20 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Yeah, the baby DMAX can save you but you need to pound the miles and hold it long much longer than most people hold vehicles.  If your a contractor and constantly towing then that is your baby!

Yeah I dunno how many miles it starts to pay off I do 25-30k a year and even I can't save money... I would only keep it 5-6 years though so maybe on a 10 year run and 300k miles it pays off... If I am a contractor I dunno why I'd buy a 3/4 sized pickup though....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

Your points are good.  If they drop the 4.3, they will no longer charge $1000 for the 5.3.  It will probably become the base motor and the extra cost will be added on to the truck.  The priority option for many consumers is engine so the optional engines will be the 6.2 or the diesel. These will enjoy a boost in sales.  Previously,  I enjoyed several new full sized trucks when the optional engine would take you from a base 100 hp to a whopping 150 hp. with almost 1/2  the MPG and power of the current base engine.    I like power but if I can get $1000 to buy other options,  285 +or - a few horsepower is a fine choice.

I hear you IMO if they make the 5.3 the base motor they won't add $1000 to the price of the trucks, maybe $4-600, since they won't be offering the 4.3... I would love to see the 3.6, much better motor for daily driving based on the power band, I was really impressed with it in the Colorado and I think it had over 300 hp.... I think the 4.3 is a little better for towing as it has more torque maybe but, if you're towing much why would you get a V6?

Edited by Imcrazy

3 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Yeah I dunno how many miles it starts to pay off I do 25-30k a year and even I can't save money... I would only keep it 5-6 years though so maybe on a 10 year run and 300k miles it pays off... If I am a contractor I dunno why I'd buy a 3/4 sized pickup though....

Probably the 25-30k miles are needed every year and hold for 8yrs for sure.....And I would bet 80% maybe even higher would never own it that long...To many variables to hold onto for that length...But some do and then it would make sense.

TO me the 4.3 is a waste in the full size truck. In the real world the 5.3 does just as good or better mpg and the power in 4.3 doesn't compare to the 5.3 . Plus the dealers by me can't sell them and if you do buy one good luck with resale. I wish they would make a 4.8 turbo. I bet they would sell like crazy. You would get great mpg plus have great towing and would be easy to add power later. 

• Like 2