4.3 V6 gone in 2019?

Donstar

10 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It would take wet roads to break loose with 150 hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I don't know Stan. I use to do some pretty wicked burnouts in dads 50 Ford half ton with it's 60 hp 239 CID V-8 and a three speed. :lol: Hope he's not reading this. YIKES!! He would  :smash:  me still today. 

9 hours ago, ajensen383 said:

The 4.3 is a very capable engine, but there is still the stigma of having a naturally aspirated V-6 in a full size truck, regardless of power output..

I quit letting things like 'stigma' bother me about second grade. 

• Like 1

Oh I don't know Stan. I use to do some pretty wicked burnouts in dads 50 Ford half ton with it's 60 hp 239 CID V-8 and a three speed. [emoji1] Hope he's not reading this. YIKES!! He would  :smash:  me still today. 

I remember my brothers 75 ford elite with a 400 motor. He just had a hot barracuda, coming out of basic training he wanted a new car. He got my dad to run down to ford to buy the fanciest Torino with a big motor. My father was driving a 74 ranchero gt 351c. my brother though the 400 would be quicker. I was driving a 74 ss nova. My father drove me to pick it up, I drove the new one home, back roads in New Jersey. Of course we lined up, no contest the ranchero blew it away. We all know the moral of the story. The look on his face after driving it for the first time was priceless. The funny part is the engine was so new no speed parts. What’s that have to do with spinning tires, you ask? He wanted to get that dog to bark on blacktop so bad he power brake in the dirt to blacktop. Second attempt blown rear first day back. It got fixed in time for the trip to base. His friend he went in with bought a trans am, it was good for a couple years of laughs.

There's a line in the sand about 1970 ish where the EPA meet the insurance industry and the cars added about 500 lbs to create the perfect storm of mediocrity. It was so bad that by 1972-75 a 65 283 Nova with a Powerglide could whoop up on a 454 in just about anything. It was a sad sad thing to see. The big motors dies in all but trucks but big power died much sooner. 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

There's a line in the sand about 1970 ish where the EPA meet the insurance industry and the cars added about 500 lbs to create the perfect storm of mediocrity. It was so bad that by 1972-75 a 65 283 Nova with a Powerglide could whoop up on a 454 in just about anything. It was a sad sad thing to see. The big motors dies in all but trucks but big power died much sooner. 

And it stayed like that for well into the '80's. 

Amen.  In spite of "low" horsepower numbers, there were some very nice, capable trucks produced in 70's and 80's. It would be an interesting experience for newer drivers to witness what a properly equipped truck with 100 -150 hp can achieve.  I believe that with the  DFM  technology we will be thrust into experiencing a kind of variable power.  It would be fascinating if our DIC could somehow indicate how many horses are being tapped into at any given time. :-)

If memory serves, my 74 nova ss had 175hp my 69 327 Impala 2bbl had 275. I believe somewhere in the seventies they started rating hp at the wheels for insurance purposes.

Curious to see what kind of tricks GM has in store in the way of mpg improvements for the 5.3L in 2019. If they tweak the AFM as they say they did with DFM and make the 8 speed standard, with an available 10 speed, I think the V6 will be gone for 2019.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:44 PM, ajensen383 said:

The 4.3 is a very capable engine, but there is still the stigma of having a naturally aspirated V-6 in a full size truck, regardless of power output..

For me there will always be an issue with a V6 in a full size truck, I don't care how many turbos you strap onto it...

13 hours ago, Donstar said:

Amen.  In spite of "low" horsepower numbers, there were some very nice, capable trucks produced in 70's and 80's. It would be an interesting experience for newer drivers to witness what a properly equipped truck with 100 -150 hp can achieve.  I believe that with the  DFM  technology we will be thrust into experiencing a kind of variable power.  It would be fascinating if our DIC could somehow indicate how many horses are being tapped into at any given time. :-)

I have a Scan Gauge 2 in my 2014 4.3. It can read your current HP at any given time. It's pretty cool, doesn't take that much power to move. Assuming it's accurate, I rarely use more than 130 HP, unless I'm towing or have the bed loaded up. And that's from someone whose not scared of the skinny pedal. Sometimes I stomp on it and watch the HP get up to about 290:cool:

• Like 2

Scan Gauge 2 sounds like an interesting add-on.  I like to toggle through my DIC screen and this device sounds like it gives additional information.  My birthday wish list has become larger.  When you buy a truck with the base engine you get a truck that has ample power to accomplish the tasks demanded by most customers. This has been the case since manufacturers started offering a choice in engine size.  Manufacturers discovered early on that it is important for people to have a more powerful engine than their neighbor in case they ever find themselves in a situation when they need to race.  My first school fight in 1963 I recall as being over who's dad had the faster car. (Mine did!)  Members will argue how much they need the larger engine in their half ton and the same arguments will appear when (if) the now optional V8 becomes the base motor for all models.