4.3 V6 gone in 2019?

Donstar

Lot's of opinions on here and some good facts too. I absolutely love my 4.3 in my 15 Silverado. Got 24.2 MPG on a small 700 mile trip and consistently in the 20s around town. I haven't tried pulling a trailer or heavy load, but it's not often I do that anyway; so it's perfect for me. I wasn't looking for a V6, but the truck had every other option that I wanted. So I guess you could say that it found me.

• Like 2

Yes it is a good engine.  I was actually looking for the V6 when I was shopping for my '15 and was pleased to find a very nicely optioned SLE.  Unless I buy a fifth wheel or a very large travel trailer I doubt I'd consider a V8 in the future.  However, with the upcoming  technology, the new V8's may spend little of their operating time running on 8 cylinders.  I would potentially have my V6 with two cylinders to spare in case I have to pass slower moving traffic pulling a heavy trailer up a steep hill....

Cant stand the sound of a V-6 in a full size truck, otherwise it is a good engine.. I rented a 14 Sierra with the new 4.3 in it.  it didn't do too bad.  Just couldn't stand the sound of it when I got on it. 

• Like 1

I have no issues with the 4.3. I think it's a fine little motor for certain setups.

This new 2.7 liter I've been reading about sounds interesting though. I've always been a horsepower junky but as I get older I think about operating costs a little more. Not sure I could avoid wanting the biggest and most powerful option yet though lol.

As for this new 4 cyl. opposed engine.. Wonder what the exhaust note would be like?

Would there be good torque off the line?

Could the offerings for engines be limited to the 3.0 diesel, 5.3 and 6.2 until this 4 popper is utilized??595e8f3a0482ee15644250f682d064ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, Logan Lanfear said:

All these people calling engines, motors.  Motor is electric.  Engine is combustion.  

mo·tor
ˈmōdər/
noun

1. 1.
    a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

Every time I see a reference to an electric motor, it says electric motor. When I see reference to gas-diesel it just says motor. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt if the 4.3l V6 is that much cheaper for GM to produce. GM can just shave a few dollars off on the entry level truck and still grab customers.

When I specified my 2014 truck, the V6 had the same highway mpg economy, so I picked the V8. I am glad I did . The truck is perfect for towing a travel trailer. I can tell when it has another 180 pounds of water in the domestic water tank.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I find it interesting that it isn't enough for the V-8 crowd to be happy that they have their little pets. They go the extra mile to lobby for the death of the V-6 as well. Why hate like that? 

I've had a 2014 Sierra w/ a 4.3 , a 2016 Silverado w/ a 5.3 and now a 2017 Colorado with a 3.6 all have been 4x4's.. The quickest has been the Colorado, the Sierra was under powered even while unloaded for my taste but, I have a strong peference for the quickest engine my budget will allow for... Hoping for a 6.2 Sierra or Silverado for my next truck...

There is no financial  argument that can be made for GM making the 4.3L V6 in this next gen, the 5.3 gets the same MPG, practically speaking - my 2014 4.3 & 2016 5.3 got the same MPG within less than 1 mpg and honestly GM could be more profitable by making less engines and just dropping the cost of the v8 a little bit, I mean it's what $800 up charge for the 5.3, when you're talking 1-2% of the total vehicle cost when expressed as a percentage of the sales price on a 30-50k truck, it's peanuts unless you're a fleet buyer.

In closing if I could have got a 5.3 in my Colorado I would have, so you can see I am biased towards lager power plants...

11 minutes ago, Colossus said:

it's not hate, it's common sense.  There is no need for the 6 cylinder.  What can it do better than the 8?  Fuel economy?  nope. 

Interesting use of logic.  I would argue there is no need for 8 cylinders but I respect the longstanding reverence for the V8.  Isn't the RAM diesel in their 5th wheel pulling 1 tons running on 6 cylinders?  I pulled my family's travel trailer in the 80's with a V8 producing 50% of the horsepower of my current V6.   Really this isn't a case of common sense.