Heater core replacement

1 hour ago, Jim Foley said:

I need to remove the heater core and replace it in my 2004 chev. 5.3. How hard is this to do and how much of the dash needs to be removed?

It's a pretty good job. The whole dash has to be removed. It's not a very hard job... Just a long job. What I would recommend is taking pictures with your phone. I have been doing this for 20 years and I take pictures just so I can make sure if I forget how something went (as far as routing of a harness or such) that it gets put back right.

Remove the dash pannel... Pictures, Remove the carrier... Pictures, Remove the HVAC case... Pictures... Take more pictures than you think you need in every angle.

Yes, I believe there is a small leak. I can smell coolant once the fluid comes up to temp and pressure. The windows fog up when I park it, or if I let it idle  to warm up when I start it. I can feel a bit of dampness on the carpet.

I just completed a water pump and thermostat replacement. No leaks from that at all.

I am somewhat intimidated by what carcau said about replacing the core, sounds like a difficult job for an old, disabled guy. I don't have the money to pay someone to do it.

I have been wondering if there may be some sort of stop leak or sealer that would be safe to use. I seem to remember years ago that mechanics strongly advised against using the old style "Stop Leak" because it caused problems. I hesitate to go that route without some assurance that it it is safe.

Thanks for asking. I was about to ask this question about the stop leak, but your question beat me to it.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

So, this subject sort of died. Still procrastinating on this end. Does anyone have any thoughts or information about using some sort of cooling system sealer? This is a very small leak, I can hardly even tell if I am losing coolant. I'm just wondering if this may be a viable solution in place of trying to pull the heater core and replace it. As I said before, I'm old and disabled and this seems like a daunting task for me.

Thanks for any input.

Almost everyone I've ever talked to about sealants say they tried but it either didn't fix the leak, clogged up the system or both.  Even it it works, the fix is generally temporary and the leaks return.

I don't believe in using a sealer. With that being said, if it were mine and I didn't want to spend the time replacing it... I would not hesitate to use Bluedevil in my system. I have used it in the past to fix so many leaking head gaskets on north star engines. It really does work wonders. It also comes with a money back guarantee! I have only had to use the money back on one vehicle. But I sent Amazon a message telling them it was still overheating and they gave me my money back within 24hrs.

YOU MUST DO IT STEP BY STEP for it to work. But it does work.

http://amzn.to/2Gyxu39

Archived