Delay in announcing 2019 Sierra/what's coming?

Maybe it's just me and my middle age senility setting in, but I cannot remember the General introducing a new Silverado and Sierra separated by the time frame we are seeing for the new trucks.  Just thinking out loud here.  The media has gone gaga over the new Ram's interior and level of top end luxury.  Could GM possibly be waiting to introduce a vastly different Sierra that ups the ante?  In other words could this finally be the time that badge re-engineering isn't the norm between the Chevy and GMC?  Probably not, but still makes for fun speculation.  Imagine about the time the new Ram is going on sale that GM rolls out a truly professional grade GMC that is a level above the already impressive 19 Silverado and anything else in the market.  Yeah I know I'm crazy.  But it does make me wonder why the delay in seeing the GMC.  Will they be the same truck this time, or does GM have something up its sleeve?  What do you think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was at the auto show yesterday. No '19 Sierra to be found.  Very dissapointed. Also they had their 2.8L diesel on display but the new 3.0 was omitted. 

The new Silvy looked ok in person.  Don't really care for the shape of the wheel wells.  They are also still waxing their frames instead of painting.

1 hour ago, O_J_Simpson said:

GM is having issues allocating the higher quality parts used in the Sierras over the Silverado. Give them time to find better paint, stronger starters and hotter alternators.

don't forget the thicker windshield glass.

GM is having issues allocating the higher quality parts used in the Sierras over the Silverado. Give them time to find better paint, stronger starters and hotter alternators.

Where did you hear that? Sounds like misinformation. Why would that prevent/delay the announcement?
These don’t even go into production for another 6/7 months (Q3) they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Maybe it's just me and my middle age senility setting in, but I cannot remember the General introducing a new Silverado and Sierra separated by the time frame we are seeing for the new trucks.  Just thinking out loud here.  The media has gone gaga over the new Ram's interior and level of top end luxury.  Could GM possibly be waiting to introduce a vastly different Sierra that ups the ante?  In other words could this finally be the time that badge re-engineering isn't the norm between the Chevy and GMC?  Probably not, but still makes for fun speculation.  Imagine about the time the new Ram is going on sale that GM rolls out a truly professional grade GMC that is a level above the already impressive 19 Silverado and anything else in the market.  Yeah I know I'm crazy.  But it does make me wonder why the delay in seeing the GMC.  Will they be the same truck this time, or does GM have something up its sleeve?  What do you think?

Still remember the article of the new seats for the 2019's were something that was laid out in 2015/2016 time frame for the new suppliers to be ready. Not thinking there is a single tweak they could do to the Sierra & still go in production this year.  Maybe the Sierra will be revealed next month in Chicago? Aside from Toyota making some sort of announcement about their trucks at that show, GMC would be considered a major reveal bringing a lot of press.

Where did you hear that? Sounds like misinformation. Why would that prevent/delay the announcement?
These don’t even go into production for another 6/7 months (Q3) they said.

If that was true, they could still make the announcement and built the prototypes with sub par parts, no?

2 hours ago, '01LS1 said:

Still remember the article of the new seats for the 2019's were something that was laid out in 2015/2016 time frame for the new suppliers to be ready. Not thinking there is a single tweak they could do to the Sierra & still go in production this year.  Maybe the Sierra will be revealed next month in Chicago? Aside from Toyota making some sort of announcement about their trucks at that show, GMC would be considered a major reveal bringing a lot of press.

Good thought. They could be saving the announcement to go head to head with Toyo in Chicago.

Probably trying to spread out the press releases as much as possible to maintain chatter/interest as long as possible.  

Same logic for holding back engine info for the diesel and the revised gassers.

V4 seems to be gone, but the  'up to 7 cylinders' shutting off' replacement should be interesting. 

4 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

I'm thinking based on the spy shots that the GMC will share the cab structure, frame, powertrain, mirrors, rear bumper, inside the box metals and possibly interior design and that's about it.  All of the sheetmetal will be different for both trucks otherwise.  You can see the body lines in the door skins are different than the Silverado unlike in the past, but the cab design and door dimensions appear to be the same.  Even the wheel arches are different.  I'm thinking the lower trim interiors will share cloth, carpets, etc. and lower leathers might share, but Denali could see a departure, and I would expect more leather, wood, aluminum and real stuff unlike the Chevy. 

I think on the cosmetic standpoint, the twins will be the furthest apart they've ever been.  GMT-900 started the bigger differentiation, K2 took it further s only the cab, doors and tailgate are the same parts, but the box sides and front ends are very different. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/06/2019-gmc-sierra-spy-shots/

58 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'm thinking based on the spy shots that the GMC will share the cab structure, frame, powertrain, mirrors, rear bumper, inside the box metals and possibly interior design and that's about it.  All of the sheetmetal will be different for both trucks otherwise.  You can see the body lines in the door skins are different than the Silverado unlike in the past, but the cab design and door dimensions appear to be the same.  Even the wheel arches are different.  I'm thinking the lower trim interiors will share cloth, carpets, etc. and lower leathers might share, but Denali could see a departure, and I would expect more leather, wood, aluminum and real stuff unlike the Chevy. 

I think on the cosmetic standpoint, the twins will be the furthest apart they've ever been.  GMT-900 started the bigger differentiation, K2 took it further s only the cab, doors and tailgate are the same parts, but the box sides and front ends are very different. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/06/2019-gmc-sierra-spy-shots/

That's what I was sort of thinking about too.  Something to make the highest trim level truck stand apart.  I don't think it will be the 12" Tesla type display the Ram has, but will they step it up into Ford Limited or the new Ram Limited luxury territory?  A few weeks delay gives them an opportunity, plus all the other mentioned items like slowly releasing specs to keep the trucks in the news.

Also, my guess is Toyota adding a diesel option to their Tundra in Chicago, probably from Hino.  If they don't they'll be the lone 1/2 ton truck maker out of the diesel loop..

31 minutes ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Chicago? No way. Mary would be robbed and shot before they even get to the convention center with the new truck. Not good for GM stock holders. Houston Texas Auto Show is next week. Sounds like a prime target for maximum press coverage.

Maybe but its not a big deal show like LA, Detroit, Chicago and NYC (or even the Texas State Fair as that's a big truck deal).  I may be wrong.   

Archived