Are 2 inch straight pipes or 2 1/2 inch louder

tyler zebert

A few variables you need to fill us in on, I assume you're talking about a 5.3? Straight pipes on what kind of exhaust system, stock, or custom with headers, a true dual setup with a X or H pipe? Rather than loudness I would think you would want a system with the optimal amount of back pressure for all around performance and mileage. Unless you have changed the cam, you don't want to go with anything more than 2 & 1/2" on a true dual setup on a small block or 3" on a single exhaust system, 2" is to small with either setup.

just listen to some blue man group. :)

diameter is easy part, length is the other equation.

my 305 is at home with a combo of 2.5 and 3 inch...high flow cat.

more of a bass drum, no snappy twacking...full length.

goal is to flow, noise is up to you and your friendly neighborhoods.

The larger the diameter of the pipes, the deeper the sound, not necesarily louder

there is a miriad of exhaust set ups you can use, this is the one im running right now, and im pretty happy with it:

Removed Cats, Flapper and Muffler, only left the last resonator

2 hours ago, VdellaV said:

The larger the diameter of the pipes, the deeper the sound, not necesarily louder.

Bingo!  

Sound level isn’t related to pipe diameter and as VdellaV stated the larger the pipe diameter the deeper the sound. No impact on sound level. 

Sound level is dependent on things like;

headers vs. manifolds

muffler type/size; larger muffler = more quite

resonator vs. no resonator

And the type of exhaust tip you install has zero affect on sound level or tone. 

If you put a small diameter pipe on your exhaust it will be louder and crackle and pop. Larger tips like megaphone tips will deepen and quite down the sound a bit. As does larger pipes. All will need some kind of muffler to tune the exhaust, even if it’s just cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go against the grain here.  All other things being equal, I believe a small 2" system will not have the volume that a larger 2 1/2" system will have.  IMO, the longer and smaller the pipe, the quieter it will be.  You want loud, put some 3" mufflers on short pipes, dumped under the vehicle.   Good luck on whichever you choose.  Also, I think a megaphone has an amplifying effect.  It's dependent on the size and taper of the megafone.  Very large megafones are very effective at amplifying.  Anyone remember the VW bugs with long "stinger" megafones?

Archived