Is an alignment necessary after strut replacement?

I've been having a few issues with my truck, a rough ride, and vibration problems.

My dealer did a test on the front suspension, they determined that the rough ride was due to front shocks/struts/coilovers whatever you want to call them.

Is an alignment necessary after replacement of the struts?

My dealer is telling me that an alignment will cost me out of my pocket, and that it is not a necessary procedure with strut replacement.

Before the replacement I noticed that the tires were cupping on the outside, could this have been due to the bad struts? The ride was so harsh that it would throw a water bottle out of the cup holder. Smooth ride now after the replacement.

The new dealer I've been working with has been fantastic other than this.

I'm just slightly concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a general rule, anytime you do anything the the front suspension I would get it aligned. It doesn't need to be out much to cause damage to the tires of other suspension components. I'd be Leary of a dealer that states otherwise, especially if they are telling you to pay for it onto of the strut work. Unless the work is being one outside of warranty.

Technically they're called 'coil overs' as the unit is not replacing the upper control arms function as it would in a McPherson Strut assembly. 

Tricky question. IF the alignment was on the money before the swap AND the ride height didn't change at all, then no, an alignment is not required. In your case, however, we can assume your alignment and perhaps wheel balance were not in spec as your tires are chucked so...yea...it needs more work.

Now that your coil overs are replaced the order of events then is new tires mounted and balanced then alignment.

The alignment spec is as wide as a barn door on these  K2XX truck. Target mid to low spec on caster, mid spec on camber and toe then assure the thrust angle is as close to zero as possible with zero steer ahead and a centered steering wheel. Not all rear axles are set dead square.  IMHO of course. Happy motoring. :seeya:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

A lot of places will check your alignment for free. Maybe you can start there. Alignments aren’t that expensive, they usually are around $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

Food for thought. I had my Camry get an alignment, about a month later I replaced my bad struts and did not get an alignment after that. About a week ago, the car was in the shop for a state inspection and they gave me the alignment report. The alignment was spot on. So in my case I didn’t need an alignment after replacing the struts.

I replaced my struts myself, based on the procedure no you wont need an alignment. You dont release or mess with anything that affects the alignment on the truck.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2018 at 9:42 PM, BradyM said:

I've been having a few issues with my truck, a rough ride, and vibration problems.

My dealer did a test on the front suspension, they determined that the rough ride was due to front shocks/struts/coilovers whatever you want to call them.

Is an alignment necessary after replacement of the struts?

My dealer is telling me that an alignment will cost me out of my pocket, and that it is not a necessary procedure with strut replacement.

Before the replacement I noticed that the tires were cupping on the outside, could this have been due to the bad struts? The ride was so harsh that it would throw a water bottle out of the cup holder. Smooth ride now after the replacement.

The new dealer I've been working with has been fantastic other than this.

I'm just slightly concerned.

I know this is an older post. But I was curious as to the vibration you had that the struts fixed. I'm having a vibe in my 07.5 nnbs and I've replaced the u joints, upper control arms, front end alignment,  had the driveshaft checked and new u joints installed, also have brand new 265 70 17 all terrain tires. And I'm getting a vibe that starts around 55ish and doesn't go away. Doesn't get worse just persists... smoother roads its not as bad, but older roads it's pretty rough. Almost feels like driving down a gravel road constantly...