Did a 75k mile Coolant Flush

On 1/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, Donstar said:

I knew "closed system" was not the best term and I know the analogy was a stretch for those  that are "in the know".   I remember in my youth working for my father in his plumbing and heating business.  Customers were often bewildered by the amount of sludge being stored in their tank.  In those days much of it was attributed to the corrosion of the galvanized piping within the house.  I imagine the build up in an engine's coolant system is from an internal corrosion type activity.

Don’t water heaters have an annode that serves a sacrificial role to the unstoppable electrolysis?  Isn’t that the majority of the sediment at the bottom of the water heater?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boardmember said:

Don’t water heaters have an annode that serves a sacrificial role to the unstoppable electrolysis?  Isn’t that the majority of the sediment at the bottom of the water heater?

Quit trying to ruin my explanation with facts!  ;-)   The bulk of the sediment in today's systems is  likely from this "sacrificial lamb".   When galvanized metal pipes were used for supply lines they were the culprit.  My point was in support of the OP for changing the coolant in your vehicle on a regular basis.  This tends to an ignored area for many of us and is actually sound preventative maintenance. 

• Like 1

I hoped others would view it as we were “teaming up” on the answer.

Heck, I don’t have many facts to offer on this forum...I get excited when I think I have one...

Now, opinions are an entirely different matter.  Takeaway:   Flush our radiators before the manual says we have to!

• Like 1

I got the new thermostat when I got my passenger side head replaced and the best part they didn't even say anything to me about it. I found out they replaced it after I went back and looked at the work order. Thanks for the info I will probably flush mine when I change all the other fluids just to be safe. 

Pics...  The thermostat was clean, housing was clean.  Everything looked clean except the plastic fantastic tank.  Not only did it have build-up, but the plastic turned yellow.  The tanks when new are WHITE/see-through plastic.  I think the tanks are basically a 'serviceable item'.  Becuase the Cap went bad also, i was loosing coolant and couldn't find the leak... it was the cap. 

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

Since, reading this thread. I have 58K on my 2014. I bought it used from the dealership at 40k. 
Gonna try to get it changed and looked at. Whats a good recommened coolant/anti-freeze to use besides Dexcool? Just Peak or Prestone? Since, Dexcool is orange, thought it has to be the same color back in? I know some owners manuals, states that so I thats why I'm asking the question.

• 3 months later...