Marketing AWD and 4WD Systems

In the old days before cup holders & leather seats, we had part time & full time 4 wheel drive systems from New Process & Borg warner, plus Jeep had Quadratrac(sp?). Now every OEM has a 'buzzword' AWD system. I have to laugh when 'intelligent'  is part of the description when that is the last thing you want to describe the owner/driver. The running joke in southern Ontario (probably across the snowbelt) is that it's usually the SUVs in the ditch when there is snow on the roads & highways.

Now to my question, is there a difference between these systems or they pretty much all similar except for the marketing hype?  

In the old days before cup holders & leather seats, we had part time & full time 4 wheel drive systems from New Process & Borg warner, plus Jeep had Quadratrac(sp?). Now every OEM has a 'buzzword' AWD system. I have to laugh when 'intelligent'  is part of the description when that is the last thing you want to describe the owner/driver. The running joke in southern Ontario (probably across the snowbelt) is that it's usually the SUVs in the ditch when there is snow on the roads & highways.

Now to my question, is there a difference between these systems or they pretty much all similar except for the marketing hype?  
All are similar with their spin on the design...some are a full time 60x40 split and uncoupling only to prevent tire scrub, others only engage when they sense slip, some activate the brakes on the slipping wheel to put power through the one with traction (think posi-traction).

Most of the reason you see SUVs in the ditch is because they put sucky tires on them to begin with...our Forester had some wide high performance Geolander tire from factory and that thing literally floated on snow because it was so light and was nearly uncontrollable because of that and the wide tires. Put a set of narrower studded iPike on it, and it would climb a 30 percent slope that was glare ice (my upper driveway).

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

95% of AWD are just rear wheel assist. Most of them are front wheel drive systems and barely send enough power to the rear wheels to do anything.

Subaru and Land-rover are the exceptions incredible AWD systems.

To me AWD drive means all wheels can drive or push the vehicle.

Trucks are Trucks I don't include them in this the Auto mode in the truck is good for 95% of my driving.

3 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Most of the reason you see SUVs in the ditch is because they put sucky tires on them to begin with...our Forester had some wide high performance Geolander tire from factory and that thing literally floated on snow because it was so light and was nearly uncontrollable because of that and the wide tires. Put a set of narrower studded iPike on it, and it would climb a 30 percent slope that was glare ice (my upper driveway).

In southern Ontario the case is more like, because I'm driving a (fill in the blank) I can drive 130 kph, just like the drive up north to the cottage in July. One particular freeway is susceptible to whiteout conditions, but people do not drive w/ care and multi-vehicle crashes are commonplace in the winter. Push button '4WD' should be marked 'INVINCIBLE' IMO for the way people treat it.

3 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

95% of AWD are just rear wheel assist. Most of them are front wheel drive systems and barely send enough power to the rear wheels to do anything.

Subaru and Land-rover are the exceptions incredible AWD systems.

To me AWD drive means all wheels can drive or push the vehicle.

Trucks are Trucks I don't include them in this the Auto mode in the truck is good for 95% of my driving.

From what I've read Subaru has pretty much been @ the forefront of AWD vehicles. 

I've never driven a pick up w/ Auto Trac, but know a few folks that have owned them.

From what I've read Subaru has pretty much been @ the forefront of AWD vehicles. 

I've never driven a pick up w/ Auto Trac, but know a few folks that have owned them.
Subaru WAS at the forefront...their latest system SUCKS in my opinion. Yes, under power it will dig and claw to no end, but under coast (read: cruising down the highway) the rear wheels have a parasitic drag which translates into a phenomenon nicknamed "ghostwalking".

My 97 Outback (old AWD system) and 89 XT6 (automatic 4wd system, which has limited slip front AND rear) were nothing short of incredible in snow and ice. My 09 Forester was almost dangerous on slippery roads without dedicated snow tires because of ghostwalking.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

1 minute ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Subaru WAS at the forefront...their latest system SUCKS in my opinion. Yes, under power it will dig and claw to no end, but under coast (read: cruising down the highway) the rear wheels have a parasitic drag which translates into a phenomenon nicknamed "ghostwalking".

My 97 Outback (old AWD system) and 89 XT6 (automatic 4wd system, which has limited slip front AND rear) were nothing short of incredible in snow and ice. My 09 Forester was almost dangerous on slippery roads without dedicated snow tires because of ghostwalking.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Sounds like the current Kia or Hyundai ad which shows their SUV driving up a ski hill. I wonder how many takes that took? Then cidiots try to drive into the cottage on an unplowed road & get buried.

:dunno:

Sounds like the current Kia or Hyundai ad which shows their SUV driving up a ski hill. I wonder how many takes that took? Then cidiots try to drive into the cottage on an unplowed road & get buried.

:dunno:
What I love about the winter SUV commercials is that if you take note they almost always have studless snow tires installed (not the factory all season junk). The BMW/Mercedes commercials are where I first noticed it, then some Jeep, and that might be a Hyundai SUV one now...just take note of the tires, it's quite obvious once you see it.

I really liked the Jeep commercial a couple years ago...they didn't pan away quick enough and you could tell it was completely hung up in deep snow (wheels spinning, no forward progress).

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

The "intelligent" subaru awd is actually 3 or so different systems depending on transmission and model. I have driven 2 extensively and really liked them. You can get a lot out of them if you disable all the nannies.

I like the functionality of AutoTrac. But now that I have snow rated tires and a TruTrac diff, I never use it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The "intelligent" subaru awd is actually 3 or so different systems depending on transmission and model. I have driven 2 extensively and really liked them. You can get a lot out of them if you disable all the nannies.

I like the functionality of AutoTrac. But now that I have snow rated tires and a TruTrac diff, I never use it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Intelligent or not, they can't compensate for ghostwalking.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

39 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I really liked the Jeep commercial a couple years ago...they didn't pan away quick enough and you could tell it was completely hung up in deep snow (wheels spinning, no forward progress).

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Trying to drive thru a 2 foot tall frozen plowed comb into a driveway? LOL

39 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Intelligent or not, they can't compensate for ghostwalking.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Or poor driving decisions.

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Ghost walking, huh....My wife has had her 2011 Subaru Legacy since new, and it is incredible in the snow.  No snow tires on the car.  Also, it has over 100k miles on it, and has needed nothing but a new set of tires and brake pads.  Truly a well designed and built car.