How do you wash an engine and bay?

Just something I was thinking about this morning. I’ve watched videos of people who take there truck to a pressure washer and get after it but that doesn’t set straight with me because of all the electronics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just something I was thinking about this morning. I’ve watched videos of people who take there truck to a pressure washer and get after it but that doesn’t set straight with me because of all the electronics...

I wouldn’t use a high pressure hose. No reason to force water where is it doesn’t belong. I do use the flaming sprayer I have from the chemical guys then use my hose to rinse the soap off. It keeps most of the dust and grime off.

I spray simple green on everything under the hood and under the lower side of the engine and trans (on a cold engine) and wait 10 mins, then spray with a nozzle.  Seems to keep it clean. 

This is a normally stocked item in my garage Grumpy.

Works well.

I dilute it for the job at hand if necessary.

Currently have 2 gallons on hand.

:)

I use a 4gpm diesel fired industrial pressure washer at 4,000psi. You wont hurt anything with a consumer grade or car-wash unit unless you're a complete fool and put the nozzle 1" away from the ECU and wiring harnesses. Hit it with some engine foam, or just soap, then rinse with a pressure washer (at a safe distance of coarse).

At the coin wash I'll power wash it there, but I keep back the wand a bit of a distance.  I do this several times a year especially because of MI winters.  In mid summer usually just a damp/wet towel to wipe the big plastics off since it stays pretty clean in there anyway (just dust).

Archived