Dropping the trans pan

Hello all,  I have a 2015 1500 with 5.3 and have been searching to do a transmission flush prior to going to work overseas for a couple months or so just so my wife doesn't have to worry about it when im gone, so far the best way ive found to do it is this below. I do own an extractor i could hook up to the dipstick & pump out so im kind of in between options.

OR would you personally just drop the pan, and change the filter? if I drop the pan do i need to add 4-5 quarts prior to putting it back on or just fill from the dip stick, letting it run & adding from there? 

Thanks for the input, seems like a pain in the ass compared to every other vehicle ive owned & dealer wants 279$ + tax haha 

Id drop the pan and replace the filter and whatever fluid it requires to fill it back to normal.  Its more than enough fluid changed.  I personally try to do it every about 15,000 miles but I also have a high mileage 4L60e.  Im not sure about the fluid capacities because I assume you have the 6 speed? Could even be an 8 or 10, im not as familiar with the newer trans and corresponding years.  

2 hours ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Id drop the pan and replace the filter and whatever fluid it requires to fill it back to normal.  Its more than enough fluid changed.  I personally try to do it every about 15,000 miles but I also have a high mileage 4L60e.  Im not sure about the fluid capacities because I assume you have the 6 speed? Could even be an 8 or 10, im not as familiar with the newer trans and corresponding years.  

Dropping the pan gets you like 2 quarts, theres like 14 quarts total

sucking it out of the dipstick tube is 4-5quarts

3 hours ago, GTIzks said:

Hello all,  I have a 2015 1500 with 5.3 and have been searching to do a transmission flush prior to going to work overseas for a couple months or so just so my wife doesn't have to worry about it when im gone, so far the best way ive found to do it is this below. I do own an extractor i could hook up to the dipstick & pump out so im kind of in between options.

OR would you personally just drop the pan, and change the filter? if I drop the pan do i need to add 4-5 quarts prior to putting it back on or just fill from the dip stick, letting it run & adding from there? 

Thanks for the input, seems like a pain in the ass compared to every other vehicle ive owned & dealer wants 279$ + tax haha 

Suck it out of the dipstick, refill

drive it to circulate it, it wont start thoroughly circulating until trans temp is around 190-200 degrees since thats when then thermostat opens flow to the trans cooler

repeat process as many times as you fill comfortable. I did it twice

Edited by truckguy82

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

So the dipstick goes into the pan, therefore dropping the pan is going to get the same amount if not a little more than sucking it out. Plus you can change the internal filter by dropping the pan. I'm curious on how you would get 3-4 more quarts by sucking it out? Where is the extra fluid coming from?

19 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

First off, theres less than 10 quarts.  Second, if you only suck it out of the dipstick tube, you cant change the filter.  Thats like changing engine oil without the filter.  I would say thats nearly as bad as just not changing the oil.  No reason to make a simple task more difficult.  If you're hesitant, drop the pan and replace the fluid that came out.  Then drive 100 miles and repeat.  Change the filter once youve gotten whatever amount of fluid out that you desire.  

31 minutes ago, Logan Lanfear said:

First off, theres less than 10 quarts. 

Second, if you only suck it out of the dipstick tube, you cant change the filter.  Thats like changing engine oil without the filter.  I would say thats nearly as bad as just not changing the oil.  No reason to make a simple task more difficult.  If you're hesitant, drop the pan and replace the fluid that came out.  Then drive 100 miles and repeat.  Change the filter once youve gotten whatever amount of fluid out that you desire.  

False, there is more than 10 quarts, it's 12-14 quarts when you have a trans cooler

Secondly, it's nothing like an oil filter lol. It's a sealed system not exposed to combustion products. Is changing the filter better, sure, but hardly mandatory if you're looking to refresh the fluid. Not like there are 1000's of transmission shops that will flush your fluid and not touch the filter.

Why might you ask someone not change the filter? Clearly you haven't done it yet on a 2014+, dropping the pan involves disconnecting the exhaust, it's not all that easy.

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

False, there is more than 10 quarts, it's 12-14 quarts when you have a trans cooler

Secondly, it's nothing like an oil filter lol. It's a sealed system not exposed to combustion products. Is changing the filter better, sure, but hardly mandatory if you're looking to refresh the fluid. Not like there are 1000's of transmission shops that will flush your fluid and not touch the filter.

Why might you ask someone not change the filter? Clearly you haven't done it yet on a 2014+, dropping the pan involves disconnecting the exhaust, it's not all that easy.

Just referenced the stock trans setup with no cooler, id assume 10 is right for the base model? I havnt done it on a 14+ but I could see messing with the exhaust causing it to take a lot longer with a pan drop.  To me it would depend on the amount of miles the filter had on it and what the truck has been doing. 

Yeah I mean the big reason to change the fluid is degredation from heat, not so much contamination.

i don’t disagree changing the filter is important, but plenty of vehicles have seen 200k plus miles without a filter change.

i’d probably do it around 75k miles, but it’s not the end of the world like skipping the engine oil filter.

When I changed the fluid on my Sierra I used a transfer pump I bought at Harbor Frieght for around $7. I was able to get just about a gallon out through the dipstick. The first time I did this around 60,000 miles and did it 3 times about a week apart each time pulling 3-4 quarts. By the third time the fluid was getting slightly more red. I think I did it one more time and the fluid looked pretty good. Below is a pic of the extracted fluid compared to new fluid. I plan to do another extraction and then drop the pan and replace the filter now that I'm at 112,000 miles.

trans_fluid_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

It's pretty easy if you have aftermarket headers and y pipe haha. I'm a firm believer that if it has a filter you should change it. Regardless if it is a sealed system or not. There is also a magnet in the bottom that collects metal shavings. Everyone has there own opinions and ways of doing things. At the end of the day it is your pickup and how you service it is your choice. 

• 2 months later...

I think there are many ways to do this "right" and all have their advantages/disadvantages. The only thing I wouldn't do is flush a transmission usi and additive cleaner with the flush. That I wouldn't do.

Personally I'd like my first tranny service to be a drop the pan and change the filter type. Get that magnet cleaned, take a little look around...after that? I'd feel pretty comfortable doing simple drain and fills for the next 100,000. 

I don't know about your truck.

I recently did a drop pan and filter replacement on my 2012 Sierra, 5.3, 6 speed at about 60 k miles.

Not fun due the the y pipe.

My truck has the flexible stainless steel exhaust part by the exhaust manifold so this allowed me to get movement while prying on the exhaust.

:)