regretting Sirius/XM subscription

So I bought my new truck last June and after my 3 month XM trial, I opted to renew it for a year. 

But with all the audio entertainment options I have with this truck, I find myself never listening to XM radio.

Between Apple music (i'm a subscriber), Pandora (I use the freebie base option), iHeart radio and regular FM, I feel I have all the audio entertainment I'll ever need.

I also listen to Podcasts quite a bit.

Does anyone else feel this way? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I bought my new truck last June and after my 3 month XM trial, I opted to renew it for a year. 
But with all the audio entertainment options I have with this truck, I find myself never listening to XM radio.
Between Apple music (i'm a subscriber), Pandora (I use the freebie base option), iHeart radio and regular FM, I feel I have all the audio entertainment I'll ever need.

It’s nice for the 1 day a month when I’m too lazy to take my phone out of my pocket and turn on Spotify or a podcast. But the audio quality is subpar compared to Bluetooth, FM or any other media type. I didn’t bother to renew it even at the super low rate they keep emailing me about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

You can call and cancel anytime. They will prorate your refund.

I've renewed/reactivated two or three times because of it coming out to less than $7 a month and I had road trips during those times. Lately I've grown tired of the 4 or 5 dead zones on the way to/from work. Plus loss of signal at every underpass and even the trees at work knock out the signal. Audio quality is garbage. I've been messing with Pandora lately, don't think I'll come anywhere close to my 6 gigs + rollover so I'll probably just stick to that going forward.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I've renewed/reactivated two or three times because of it coming out to less than $7 a month and I had road trips during those times. Lately I've grown tired of the 4 or 5 dead zones on the way to/from work. Plus loss of signal at every underpass and even the trees at work knock out the signal. Audio quality is garbage. I've been messing with Pandora lately, don't think I'll come anywhere close to my 6 gigs + rollover so I'll probably just stick to that going forward.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

Good point. I forgot to mention all the dead zones I've been running to as well.

I can't stand Sirius anymore. There is so much music out there, yet you get the same 50 song playlist on repeat on every channel. They support certain artists, and those artists get all the play time and exposure. I consider XM more like a record company than a radio service. 

FYI, It is REALLY hard to cancel. Hopefully you never gave them a credit card because they auto renew you at the max rate. Their business practices alone make me never want to have anything to do with them.

I actually don't mind it myself.  Will I renew?  Not sure.  The had a rate deal going when my trial expired and it was too good to pass on, but it was without the weather/traffic which sucked. 

My biggest problem is you pay for the radio, yet some of the stations censor the songs still!  90's on 9, Pop2K, etc.  Uh, if I'm paying for their service, it should be uncensored.  They aren't AM/FM radio.  Oh, and add/change up the songs on there sometimes.  Same stuff on repeat gets old. 

29 minutes ago, '17 Sierra said:

FYI, It is REALLY hard to cancel. Hopefully you never gave them a credit card because they auto renew you at the max rate. Their business practices alone make me never want to have anything to do with them.

They have my credit card on file. I have 3 vehicles on the account. The wife has it in her Volvo and she likes it, my daughter has it too as (it's part of my annual christmas present to her). 

When I see the auto renewal price is like $210 per vehicle, I call about a week before they whack my card and tell them to cancel it. They come back with a counter offer of under $100 for a whole year.  Works like a charm and I've been doing this for about 5 years in a row now. I've heard that if I actually DO cancel, they'll come back with yet an even lower price . The wife and daughter like it, they use it, and that's fine, they can keep it.  It's just not worth it for me with all my alternate sources of music/entertainment.

It's easy to cancel, but it must be done over the phone. You can't cancel from their website. 

Every time we’ve gotten new GM vehicles it’s been the same, hassle after hassle dealing with these (obviously overseas customer service) folks. It’s actually quite simple, once you’ve setup an account using your email all you do is go online see when your expiration date is and if they don’t have your credit card info on file then you have nothing to worry about other than not having XM/Serius radio. But, if you just want to cancel, you’ll have to deal with their customer service and just let them know you want to cancel...they’ll come back with an awesome deal like 25$ for 6 months so it’ll just be up to you. I personally enjoy their services especially with weather maps too. Look at the bright side, for music sake, you can always just plug in your phone and use Pandora free service with commercial interruptions. Good luck

1 hour ago, StealthZ71 said:

Yeah, not worth the money. And I didn't appreciate them calling like a crazy ex-girlfriend to try to get me to sign back up...

This! It has been years since I paid the subscription for 1 year. When I cancelled, they called for months. Calls came from a 256 area code at the time. 

On the newer infotainment systems, they have the weather channel app which is as good, if not better than the XM weather service and it's free. Which by the way XM charges what? $4-5 a month extra for weather?

For about the same price as XM, Apple music gives me everything and anything I could ever want to listen to. Including the ability to create playlists and download to listen offline. They also have 'radio' stations of every genre.

I think any paid music subscription, and there are plenty of them to choose from, are a better value than XM.

I don't know. That's just me.  

oh and if you want to take XM mobile and have web access, I think they charge extra for that?

14 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

They have my credit card on file. I have 3 vehicles on the account. The wife has it in her Volvo and she likes it, my daughter has it too as (it's part of my annual christmas present to her). 

When I see the auto renewal price is like $210 per vehicle, I call about a week before they whack my card and tell them to cancel it. They come back with a counter offer of under $100 for a whole year.  Works like a charm and I've been doing this for about 5 years in a row now. I've heard that if I actually DO cancel, they'll come back with yet an even lower price . The wife and daughter like it, they use it, and that's fine, they can keep it.  It's just not worth it for me with all my alternate sources of music/entertainment.

It's easy to cancel, but it must be done over the phone. You can't cancel from their website. 

I've done that in the past as well but I never gave them my credit card. I chose to be invoiced and paid by check.

11 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Every time we’ve gotten new GM vehicles it’s been the same, hassle after hassle dealing with these (obviously overseas customer service) folks. It’s actually quite simple, once you’ve setup an account using your email all you do is go online see when your expiration date is and if they don’t have your credit card info on file then you have nothing to worry about other than not having XM/Serius radio. But, if you just want to cancel, you’ll have to deal with their customer service and just let them know you want to cancel...they’ll come back with an awesome deal like 25$ for 6 months so it’ll just be up to you. I personally enjoy their services especially with weather maps too. Look at the bright side, for music sake, you can always just plug in your phone and use Pandora free service with commercial interruptions. Good luck

It can be easy if you have time to kill and wait on the phone. I did the same thing by cancelling and then was offered a screaming deal, which I sometimes would take but as the others have said there are so many alternatives now that give you better quality and are actually free.

Archived