Method Race Wheels - Rusting < 6 months

In case anyone is looking into buying a set of Method Race Wheels I figured I would share the current situation I am in with them.

After searching long and hard for a nice clean wheel I settled on the Method Race Standard wheels in machined silver 20".  The market has limited availability of machined wheels especially with the simulated beadlock look, seems to be a lot of black and gray wheels.  I bought my wheels in Sept through Discount Tire Direct with their holiday rebates it was a good deal.  Bought Falken AT3W's at the same time.   The wheels have a 2 year warranty. 

Rust #1:  In November I noticed all of the bolts along the rims (the beadlock bolts) were starting to rust.  Looks like the SS coating was comprised during the install process because all the rust was on the impact area of whatever wrench was use to tighten them at the factory.  I got a hold of Discount Tire Direct and they quickly shipped me out new bolts for all 4 wheels.  Something like 70-80 bolts in total I think.  I have not installed them yet as I am waiting for winter to end. Issue 1 resolved and in the books less than 4 months into ownership. 

Rust #2: Noticed this week the hardware around the center caps was starting to rust and stain the chrome center caps.  I contacted Discount Tire Direct that night and they are sending out new center caps and hardware.  I also contacted Method Race Wheels via facebook and email to asked about longevity of their hardware.  Have not heard back from them yet.

Did some research and found that this is a common issue with Method Race wheels that very few have found a permanent solution to.  I live in the Midwest so my wheels see all 4 seasons including salt season.  I don't take the wheels off during winter.  I have Fuel Trophy wheels on my last truck and after a few years of use they still looked brand new, even the non-removable bolts along the edge were perfect.  I'm less than 6 months into my Method Race Wheel ownership and all the hardware is being replaced.  

I am working on a long term solution with Discount Tire but figured I would share my experience with the forum on Method wheels with the simulated beadlock hardware.  This is my experience but googling it, seems to be a rather common issue with the Jeep guys as well who use these wheels.

Pictures below of the rust.  Yes its small but its rust on a couple month old wheels. We spend big bucks on wheels in hopes they last.  These likely wont see a year.

On a plus side I couldn't be happier with how fast and helpful Discount Tire has been so kudos to them.

IMG_9213.jpg

Do your wheels have a finish on them at all?  Any clear coat?

This is the exact reason I went with the painted matte black.  Also why I went with the stainless steel beadlocks ILO the zinc gold looking ones.

Following along for info, but I've had my Methods for 7 months and they are in pristine condition still.

These are the SS bolts and still rusting where the socket that was use to install them contacted the bolt head.

I’m with you on painted versus machined, my Fuels were painted and it makes a huge difference. May go back to Fuels to replace these.

56 minutes ago, Waterfowler41 said:

These are the SS bolts and still rusting where the socket that was use to install them contacted the bolt head.

I’m with you on painted versus machined, my Fuels were painted and it makes a huge difference. May go back to Fuels to replace these.

They are not SS bolts, they are more than likely cadmium plated.  Does a magnet attract to them?

They are not SS bolts, they are more than likely cadmium plated.  Does a magnet attract to them?

From their website. I’m traveling for work br will check with a magnet when I get home.

ceb5b83c5af97d6274e62dab9b442487.jpg

This guy had the same issues as me with similar wheels:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/170381-method-race-wheel-corrosion.html

Heard back from Method, as I expected they said it’s not typical. But they did say it usually happens to trucks where they salt roads.

No word back from DTD yet but at this point I think it’s best I get out of these wheels into painted wheels without removable hardware like these.

On a side note i was in CA this week and every other truck out there has Method NV’s that look good. Here in the midwest you rarely see them. Starting to understand why.

Not anything new - these are known to corrode.  More so the nickel plated bolts on the faux rings, they sell replacements at $1 a bolt.  You can't get replacements off the shelf anywhere, they are super short and 'proprietary.'  I wish someone provided an aluminum direct replacement.  Still love my methods though!    

I needed new hardware on my Method 301 bead locks and they actually sent me a set free...but those are much more pricey wheels and geared towards a specific target audience.  Run of the mill street locks, they would go broke replacing them all. 

You can replace them with a real stainless bolt. I found a guy on a jeep forum that replaced his bolts. The thread is M8 x 1.25 in 8mm length.  https://www.mcmaster.com/#91287a147/=1bbvke0 25 bolts for $9. Might need a washer to go with them since they are a little longer then the ones that come with methods. I was going to do this with mine but I have since changed my mind and will paint them instead. I dont have issues with them rusting but cant stand the zinc yellow on the black rims...

You can replace them with a real stainless bolt. I found a guy on a jeep forum that replaced his bolts. The thread is M8 x 1.25 in 8mm length.  https://www.mcmaster.com/#91287a147/=1bbvke0 25 bolts for $9. Might need a washer to go with them since they are a little longer then the ones that come with methods. I was going to do this with mine but I have since changed my mind and will paint them instead. I dont have issues with them rusting but cant stand the zinc yellow on the black rims...

Thanks for the link! If I had the wheels for more than a year and this started happening then that would be the route I would take but these wheels are 4 months old, they shouldn’t look like this...

3 hours ago, Waterfowler41 said:

Thanks for the link! If I had the wheels for more than a year and this started happening then that would be the route I would take but these wheels are 4 months old, they shouldn’t look like this...

I was going to suggest a REAL stainless bolt. There are many types of stainless that should not pass for "stainless" maybe stain proof lol. Just like I'll never order another 409 stainless exhaust :fume:

Archived