2019 Silverado Focus – Fuel Saving Technology - Facts, Specs, Images

Gorehamj

silverado 19 wind chamber.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-29-2018

Throughout Chevrolet’s launch event and in its most recently released vehicle specifications, Chevy details a long list of fuel-saving technologies and changes to the new 2019 Silverado. We dug into the data and pulled out just the factors that Chevy lists that will save fuel in the new Silverado. Here’s what we found:

silverado aero.png

Aerodynamics

Chevrolet reduced aerodynamic drag on the new 2019 Silverado by 7%. The Silverado has front functional air curtains, like those introduced on the sixth-generation Camaro, that reduce aerodynamic drag by routing air around the front wheel wells. The rear edge of the cab now has a spoiler that aims the air flowing over the top of the truck at the tailgate lip, reducing wind drag from the bed.

10-speed trans chevy 16.jpg

Drivetrain

The 2019 Silverado’s new 5.3L and 6.2L V-8s will have an industry-first Dynamic Fuel Management system that actively shuts off any number of cylinders, in a variety of combinations, depending on immediate needs to optimize fuel economy.

The engines will be coupled to a new Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmission. Chevy is also adding start/stop technology to improve fuel economy

Shortly after launch, Chevy plans a new Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo-diesel for the Silverado. The intent is to offer a fuel-efficient engine for towing and good low-end torque, that will also stretch the Silverado’s MPG rating.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-020.jpg

Chassis, Body, Swing Panels

A much greater emphasis on high strength steel, as well as other lightweight materials, means the new 2019 Silverado is 450 pounds lighter than the outgoing truck (crew cab V8 models). High strength steel makes the frame stronger, and stiffer, and also lighter. The cargo bed is also a new lighter, stronger steel. Composite springs in the rear of the Silverado saved 24 pounds. Aluminum suspension components, door skins, hood and tailgate all reduce weight. Changes to the body alone saved 88 pounds.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool,Cool....The composite Leafs Springs in the back will probably be Much more quiet and better ride and handling with more payload capacity...Don't rust probably require no maintenance or grease...and lighter etc.  Honestly, surprised GM is only one with them as far as I know for 1/2 tons?

37 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Cool,Cool....The composite Leafs Springs in the back will probably be Much more quiet and better ride and handling with more payload capacity...Don't rust probably require no maintenance or grease...and lighter etc.  Honestly, surprised GM is only one with them as far as I know for 1/2 tons?

Correct that I know of as well.  GM has a long history with composite leafs, and a good one at that.  GM has the transverse composite in Corvette since the C4 debut and still uses one.  W-Body cars even had them for a brief time as well. 

25 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Them composite springs might be the end of rear spring noise some are complaining about .

Yup, no doubt and temperature changes bring it out...well maybe not anymore!

31 minutes ago, newdude said:

Correct that I know of as well.  GM has a long history with composite leafs, and a good one at that.  GM has the transverse composite in Corvette since the C4 debut and still uses one.  W-Body cars even had them for a brief time as well. 

Which "W" body?  I liked the "W" bodies I also like the 3.8...what do I know though?

Here is to Hoping the the new 5.3 will have at least 390hp and 400TQ 

Very solid motor the 5.3 is and has always been with solid numbers but the current 5.3 has the lowest HP /TQ of any Half ton V8 

Heck the tundra has more power and that came out 10 years ago . 

Again nothing wrong with current 5.3 but in tests its outgunned by the Ford 5.0 , Nissan 5.6, Dodge 5.7 , Toyo 5.7 ( in strictly numbers, not towing etc. ) 

3 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Which "W" body?  I liked the "W" bodies I also like the 3.8...what do I know though?

Gen 1 cars so 1988-1996 Regal, 88-97 Cutlass, 88-96 Grand Prix and 90-94 Lumina.  They had a rear link setup.  Two lower "control" arms, a trailing arm each side and a strut. 

Some pics linked from a w-body forum  http://www.w-body.com/topic/44752-little-rear-end-tune-up/?p=904408

7 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Here is to Hoping the the new 5.3 will have at least 390hp and 400TQ 

Very solid motor the 5.3 is and has always been with solid numbers but the current 5.3 has the lowest HP /TQ of any Half ton V8 

Heck the tundra has more power and that came out 10 years ago . 

Again nothing wrong with current 5.3 but in tests its outgunned by the Ford 5.0 , Nissan 5.6, Dodge 5.7 , Toyo 5.7 ( in strictly numbers, not towing etc. ) 

Yeah and the Tundra still has the shittiest fuel economy along with Nissan.  They can't figure out how to build a V-8 that gets good fuel economy. 

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

Yeah and the Tundra still has the shittiest fuel economy along with Nissan.  They can't figure out how to build a V-8 that gets good fuel economy. 

Yup, just awful mpg's  The revised 5.3 will probably be 390Hp/420tq with probably nothing but programming/no heads needed etc.  10spd and well I will probably get suckered into another 5.3L wussy engine?  Seriously the 6.2L revised will just be out of control and something I would never need?  

Decisions, I love the look of the new Gen inside and out!  My brother was over the other day checking out my truck and he is total electronic/gadget/techie and he likes how easy the truck is to use....Yeah, no shit I like it too!

12 hours ago, Colossus said:

Yeah but who is talking about fuel economy ? It’s a damn truck for Christ sake. Trust me Toyota can figure out many things. ( I hate Toyota by the way ) but you will have to excuse them as they have been making a killing selling camrys , Prius etc. so their trucks took a back seat. All I was saying is that the 5.3 has the least amount of torque and hp in its class. 

35 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Yeah but who is talking about fuel economy ? It’s a damn truck for Christ sake. Trust me Toyota can figure out many things. ( I hate Toyota by the way ) but you will have to excuse them as they have been making a killing selling camrys , Prius etc. so their trucks took a back seat. All I was saying is that the 5.3 has the least amount of torque and hp in its class. 

I think the original poster was talking fuel economy as were other posters in thread.  I believe all of us know it's a "Truck"  and probably number #2, #3 on a "Truck" buyers list of importance is Fuel economy?  I am probably way out in left field again..........

Archived