2019 Silverado Focus – Fuel Saving Technology - Facts, Specs, Images

Gorehamj

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, f8l vnm said:

Here is to Hoping the the new 5.3 will have at least 390hp and 400TQ 

Very solid motor the 5.3 is and has always been with solid numbers but the current 5.3 has the lowest HP /TQ of any Half ton V8 

Heck the tundra has more power and that came out 10 years ago . 

Again nothing wrong with current 5.3 but in tests its outgunned by the Ford 5.0 , Nissan 5.6, Dodge 5.7 , Toyo 5.7 ( in strictly numbers, not towing etc. ) 

With the 19 truck weighing 450lbs less, the current 5.3 will feel more like 390hp in a 19.  450lbs less could almost be a half second quicker in the 1/4 mile with all other things being equal. 

On 1/29/2018 at 10:41 AM, newdude said:

Correct that I know of as well.  GM has a long history with composite leafs, and a good one at that.  GM has the transverse composite in Corvette since the C4 debut and still uses one.  W-Body cars even had them for a brief time as well. 

actually, 1981 and 1982 had them I owned a 82 with  transverse composite

On 1/30/2018 at 4:53 PM, f8l vnm said:

Guys this ain’t personal. I’m on my 4th gm truck. Love gm since I can remember.  Just stating some facts about hp and tq 

I agree with you, GM has let the 5.3L turn into a limp noodle! 

the last I remember lacking power predates injection.

maybe I am getting old.. but 7 seconds with a factory 21 yr old truck to 60 is still mind boggling.

the 2016 does it even better.

I find anyone that complains of power, doesn't really go after it to gain some.

lets start with the automatic...

7 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Not complaining at all but in most tests the 5.3 is outgunned. Strictly hp and tq. 

Just some calm thoughts, nothing more:

FWIW- Personally, I don't have to have the truck with the most peak hp/tq & I also do care about fuel mileage, even in a truck. I drive a higher than average amount each year and do need a truck for what I do. I also find that the 5.3 in my '17 is anything but gutless. I have yet to find it under powered in any traffic condition. It also has a lot more power and fuel econ than my previous '06 w/5.3, which itself was no slouch. I also know that the 5.3 is likely to have the longest service life and lowest maint cost & running cost of all the choices on the market. Who cares if I give up 25 hp or so, when I already have over 350 hp....???

Also, if it was only about peak numbers, none of the mfr's would offer NA v6's, or small diesels, as they'd have 0 market for them. 

Honestly, based on what some folks write on here, it seems that many guys just don't seem to be realistic about today's trucks. They clearly haven't spent significant time in trucks from the early 80's with small block v8's that barely had 150 or 160 hp, only got 10 mpg & rode like a 50 yr old dump truck. Or worse yet, trucks from the 50's & 60's that only had 100-120 'gross' hp & took most of the morning to get to 60mph. Those days sucked because you were stuck with low power, even though you knew that the mfr's had the capability to offer more choice, but didn't. Plus, the sheer lack of interior comfort........

It's great that we can get trucks with  well over 300hp and many with over 400hp, that meet emissions, get over 20 mpg, out accelerate pretty much all of the 60's muscle cars and ride amazing. Don't even get me started about all the creature comforts modern trucks have.

However, it's also maybe getting a little nutty when they are starting to approach 500hp. I mean let's be realistic here........ ;) There's already too many people on the road that can't handle cars & trucks with 100hp, much less 3-4x that. Why fool them into thinking they need more? LOL

Like I said, just some thoughts......

Just some calm thoughts, nothing more:
FWIW- Personally, I don't have to have the truck with the most peak hp/tq & I also do care about fuel mileage, even in a truck. I drive a higher than average amount each year and do need a truck for what I do. I also find that the 5.3 in my '17 is anything but gutless. I have yet to find it under powered in any traffic condition. It also has a lot more power and fuel econ than my previous '06 w/5.3, which itself was no slouch. I also know that the 5.3 is likely to have the longest service life and lowest maint cost & running cost of all the choices on the market. Who cares if I give up 25 hp or so, when I already have over 350 hp....???
Also, if it was only about peak numbers, none of the mfr's would offer NA v6's, or small diesels, as they'd have 0 market for them. 
Honestly, based on what some folks write on here, it seems that many guys just don't seem to be realistic about today's trucks. They clearly haven't spent significant time in trucks from the early 80's with small block v8's that barely had 150 or 160 hp, only got 10 mpg & rode like a 50 yr old dump truck. Or worse yet, trucks from the 50's & 60's that only had 100-120 'gross' hp & took most of the morning to get to 60mph. Those days sucked because you were stuck with low power, even though you knew that the mfr's had the capability to offer more choice, but didn't. Plus, the sheer lack of interior comfort........
It's great that we can get trucks with  well over 300hp and many with over 400hp, that meet emissions, get over 20 mpg, out accelerate pretty much all of the 60's muscle cars and ride amazing. Don't even get me started about all the creature comforts modern trucks have.
However, it's also maybe getting a little nutty when they are starting to approach 500hp. I mean let's be realistic here........ ;) There's already too many people on the road that can't handle cars & trucks with 100hp, much less 3-4x that. Why fool them into thinking they need more? LOL
Like I said, just some thoughts......
I totally agree, I’ve been driving since the 70s. I could light up a cigarette (when I used to smoke) and finish it before hitting 60. I’m a HP junky and can say most vehicles on the road perform well. If it wasn’t for the nannies on the vehicles most people would be in a ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, SILVER SLED said:

With the 19 truck weighing 450lbs less, the current 5.3 will feel more like 390hp in a 19.  450lbs less could almost be a half second quicker in the 1/4 mile with all other things being equal. 

:rolleyes:  1/2 second?  that's a stretch...if i have two grown men riding in my truck, there isn't a 1/2 second difference in acceleration...if it were double that, i might be able to buy what you're selling...

20 minutes ago, spenpet said:

:rolleyes:  1/2 second?  that's a stretch...if i have two grown men riding in my truck, there isn't a 1/2 second difference in acceleration...if it were double that, i might be able to buy what you're selling...

In the drag racing world it's a general rule that for every 100lbs you lighten the vehicle you'll take off a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile.  Based on that 450lbs is about half a second, or about .45 seconds.  Have you ever been to the track and ran your truck by yourself then with 400 lbs added.  It definitely makes a diff.  When I used to race my TBSS I'd pull the back seats out for about 150lb weight loss.  It helped. 

On 02/02/2018 at 6:59 AM, j-ten-ner said:

Yeah...but what about bragging rights?

so long

j-ten-ner

Sarcasm?

I suppose bragging rights were fine in high school. Since then, I found there was more to brag about if I could do more with less. IE; in the mid 90's when I used to have a snowmobile, sleds were getting bigger and a lot faster during that period. I purposely bought a small 440 fan cooled, even though everyone else was buying sleds with bigger engines and more power. I would use that little 440 to consistently beat the pants off everyone on the tight, twisty bush trails. Out in the open, I'd be pretty much left sitting, but I reasoned that any knuckledragger can squeeze the throttle to go fast in a straight line. It's the same nowadays on a dirtbike. I ride a mid-engine sized bike and focus on skills, as that's where the real speed is in the woods etc..

To me it's about technique & skills rather than brute power. There's also that old saying; (paraphrase) It's a lot more fun to make a slow car(bike, snowmobile, etc) go fast than to drive a fast one slow. 

Archived