LEDs that fit behind the dust cap?

Hi guys,

I know theres a lot of threads on LEDs and which ones are good and what not.  I have a 15 silverado LTZ, so I have projectors.  I know HID would give the best results here but I want to try some LEDs first before dropping the coin and the work putting in an HID kit. 

All I want to know, from those of you who have put LED bulbs in 14 or 15 Silverado, is what kind do you have that you had no issues putting the dust cover back on?

Thanks in advance!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, MegaCode360 said:

Hi guys,

I know theres a lot of threads on LEDs and which ones are good and what not.  I have a 15 silverado LTZ, so I have projectors.  I know HID would give the best results here but I want to try some LEDs first before dropping the coin and the work putting in an HID kit. 

All I want to know, from those of you who have put LED bulbs in 14 or 15 Silverado, is what kind do you have that you had no issues putting the dust cover back on?

Thanks in advance!

Check out www.morimotohid.com .  lot of people are using them ( Hid's or Led's )  . i have a set of putco nite lux and the cover fits. They have been replace with silver lux , cover doesn't fit. so I'm looking for a new set (spare).  Good luck

To revive a semi-old topic.  I have found the 14-15 Silverados with projectors, the socket for the bulbs is a smidge further back than the sockets in the reflector housings.  In other words, if you have projectors, you have less clearance from the socket to where you would hit the inside of the dust cover when it is in place.  It is hard to find LED bulbs that will fit with the cover when you have projectors.  Those with Sierras and Colorados, your dust covers are different as well and you don't have this annoying vertical metal support beam that is inches from your headlight housing that makes it a PITA to get the cover back on even with the halogens!

I am guessing those people with LTZ projectors went with LEDs with the flexible ribbon heat sinks?  Anyone with other types of heat sinks that fit?  I'm looking for fan-less.

Yea I searched this forum and have since tried two different LED bulbs on my 15 LTZ, Cougar “something” and OPT7’s. Neither fit with the dust cap. For now, scrapping the LED’s unless something else arises.

20 hours ago, WC_LTZ said:

Yea I searched this forum and have since tried two different LED bulbs on my 15 LTZ, Cougar “something” and OPT7’s. Neither fit with the dust cap. For now, scrapping the LED’s unless something else arises.

It's tough on the 14-15 Chevy's.  The dust caps suck, and not just because I can't get LEDs to fit haha.  They are a pain in the ass to put back on, and the way they are tucked halfway behind those vertical support beams on each side makes changing even a hallogen bulb a pain in the ass.  Really poor design.

I have some high performance hallogens in there.  They do work nicely, I'd just like a nicer color and maybe a bit more brightness.  Down the road I might do an HID kit for the lows cause it's just a drill thru the back of the cap and they supply a grommet that keeps it sealed.  Then I might see if I can get some LEDs to fit the high beams.  But I'm with you, not messing with it for a while.

I have the Morimoto 50w 6500 setup, plug and play and its really nice white light, high beams illuminate to the ends of Earth seems like :) 

$170 is what i paid i think, quality kit.

I have the Morimoto 50w 6500 setup, plug and play and its really nice white light, high beams illuminate to the ends of Earth seems like [emoji4] 

$170 is what i paid i think, quality kit.

Do you mind posting a picture of it when you get the time (from the engine bay)? And a kit number?

And, are you talking a 15 LTZ with projectors?

My main concern is most of the LEDs I’ve seen recommend drilling vent holes in the dust cap for air flow. I’m not doing that. And the two I’ve tried that ‘supposedly’ fit didn’t.

Thanks. Sorry, this is my first time back on a car forum in several years and I’m already frustrated.

Do you mind posting a picture of it when you get the time (from the engine bay)? And a kit number?

And, are you talking a 15 LTZ with projectors?

My main concern is most of the LEDs I’ve seen recommend drilling vent holes in the dust cap for air flow. I’m not doing that. And the two I’ve tried that ‘supposedly’ fit didn’t.

Thanks. Sorry, this is my first time back on a car forum in several years and I’m already frustrated.
Mine are HID, i did have to drill center hole for wires to go through but it comes with nice seal, no moisture issues. LEDs dont get hot enough to require venting for heat. I say get something that fits and forget about it.

Here is how my HIDs look. Low beams.092b3a14793563ac0c6c5da08ebf68f1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, MegaCode360 said:

Nice HID kit.  How was the install?

Not bad, it was all laid out properly. It took me about 4hrs because i made sure to tuck everything in. First hour was trying to decide where to route the wires.

I would do it all over again, its definitely worth it. I plan on getting their fog lights next.

Archived