If you only were going to be allowed one truck.....

Grumpy Bear

.... for a life time. And I mean one truck was the sum total of all the motorized transportation you would ever be allowed; how would it effect the way you....

1.) Drive ?

2.) Approach maintenance ?

3.) Modify ?

4.) Choose your truck ?

No 'do overs'. You pick a truck when you 20 and have to make it last a lifetime. 

I just turned 45.

this thought was actually real.

my dream truck when I was 23..

1996 GMC v8 5 speed.

new fuel injection.

I can't do their single cabs, xcab short bed was a must.

I finally got one 20 years later. Even the colors I imagined.

I have always wanted to make the v8 diesel work.. but the pre chamber tech and all around WTF in the cold is ridicilous.

if to buy when I was 20 that is.. diesels were still idiot.

I may wander off to dodge, cummins, and the last manual trans offered.

but I am patient.

I've owned many GM trucks and I'd have to say the one that I would want to keep is the truck I have now.  It has all the power I want 6.2l carries 5 people is the right color and is easily modified.  Maintaining it has been a breeze. 8yrs and just regular maintenance and hasn't left me stranded. 

Well, the truck I have now is the nicest I’ve ever owned, measured by multiple metrics.   But if I had to choose one forever...(I’m gonna be crushed I’m afraid)...it would be one of my crew cab Tundras.    Reliability & function over style I’m afraid.  I may have that now, but I only have one choice...!

There is a radio ad that poses a similar question and compares it to how you treat your own body.  The analogy is a fun one to work with as there have been parallels throughout my life.   When I was younger I tended to be harder on my vehicles and body than I am now.  If I knew at 20, I'd have to choose my life-long vehicle, I probably owned it at the time.  ('72 red F100 302 4 spd.)   The problem is I wouldn't have predicted I was going to have three children so hopefully my wife would have kept her Pinto station wagon!

Like everyone else I'll do bullet point 4 first. the selection. 

67/68 C10 Deluxe short bed step side 2WD. Coil/trailing arm option. 292 straight six. Saginaw Muncie 420 4 speed. 10 bolt 3.08 open.  A plain brown wrapper. Radio delete and no air. Like an old RC Victor radio. Just two dials; station and on/off/volume. 

If I get only one then I need to be able to repair, rebuild every square inch of it with out need of thousands of dollars of GM specific tools and with no more aid from the dealer than the odd part I can't make in the shop at home like glass. Simple, simple, simple and stone axe reliable; tough as a bucket of nails. More importantly, re-build-able to infinity in a rain soaked plowed field if need be. Just enough wire in her to lite the holes and the lights/wipers/heater motor. Manual mechanical. Pre 1971/72 these had drums on all four corners. Not ideal but easy enough to repair and unlike the stories about drums and suicide masters, they will stop her. 

That's my choice and my reasoning. 

1929368_353d9aef86_low_res.jpg

The regular cab pickup is definitely a great form of transportation.  However, I think few could/would choose it as their one and only life long choice.  Thankfully us baby boomers were given the option to combine the practicality of a family vehicle with our beloved pickups with the introduction of the super/extended cabs.  In the 80's some of us even looked at the 3+3/ crew cabs but they were only available in a single digit mpg 3/4 or 1 ton!   A late 70's or 80's Ford SuperCab or a late 80's GM extended cab would be the ultimate compromise in function, durability and relative ease of maintenance, imo.

25 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The regular cab pickup is definitely a great form of transportation.  However, I think few could/would choose it as their one and only life long choice.  

Great point! Family and all.

Then again each driver in the family gets 'one'. My wife's idea of 'a one time deal' is a SUV. I would have thought she would have picked a true station wagon but it was her choice. 56 Nomad Wagons were pretty cool and easy to work on. If it were one vehicle per family I'd choose a wagon and not a truck at all. 

Great point! Family and all.

Then again each driver in the family gets 'one'. My wife's idea of 'a one time deal' is a SUV. I would have thought she would have picked a true station wagon but it was her choice. 56 Nomad Wagons were pretty cool and easy to work on. If it were one vehicle per family I'd choose a wagon and not a truck at all. 

Jeepster, Suburban, Carry-all, Scout...mmmmm, if only more time and money.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 5:58 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

.... for a life time. And I mean one truck was the sum total of all the motorized transportation you would ever be allowed; how would it effect the way you....

1.) Drive ?

2.) Approach maintenance ?

3.) Modify ?

4.) Choose your truck ?

No 'do overs'. You pick a truck when you 20 and have to make it last a lifetime. 

My current answer would be the one I have now. 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 DC 4x4. Considering that I've joked with friends that I would be nice to take this truck back in time to when I was in my teens and 20's, this would be the truck.