Bump in drivers floorboard

2004 Silverado z71 4x4 When going over bumps or when swerving when going down the road you can feel a bump in the floorboard of the drivers side floorboard. I have had the struts, and shocks replaced. Pretty much my whole complete front end. Tie rod ends, sway bar links, idler arm pitman arm, motor mounts, transmission mount, ect. Still no results and the shop can't seem to find the problem.

Any suggestions?

Intermediate steering shaft most likely. Super common issue on GM trucks of that era. Took GM forever to fix it. First they came up with an updated lubricant for the splined portion, then they wanted you to unbolt it from the steering box and compress and extend the shaft (or in GM's words: "exercise the shaft"...). Finally they came out with a new ISS that solved the issue. Super easy to change. One bolt inside the cab and one under hood. 

Also - when you change the shaft, think about changing the steering column bearing at the same time.  I assume the 2004 still had this part?   Videos online to show you how. I did both on my 2000 silverado, not hard. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-905-512-Cadillac-Chevrolet-Oldsmobile/dp/B004AI9SQA/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004AI9SQA&pd_rd_r=1SKJQ3FAJ1MSJY15BQSJ&pd_rd_w=b2TUD&pd_rd_wg=ZP7Tm&psc=1&refRID=1SKJQ3FAJ1MSJY15BQSJ

I don't think it is a steering shaft. That would be felt in the steering wheel not the floor board.

I am thinking your torsion bar bushings are gone. Reach under the drivers side and grab the torsion bar and shake it up and down. See if the bushing are gone. I am betting you will find your problem there.

12 hours ago, redneckgames said:

Any links to the new style replacement shaft?

This one will work just fine and it has the Teflon bushing in it. http://amzn.to/2GDajEP

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, carnau said:

I don't think it is a steering shaft. That would be felt in the steering wheel not the floor board.

I am thinking your torsion bar bushings are gone. Reach under the drivers side and grab the torsion bar and shake it up and down. See if the bushing are gone. I am betting you will find your problem there.

This one will work just fine and it has the Teflon bushing in it. http://amzn.to/2GDajEP

Thanks so much!!! It was the bushing for the torsion bar under the left side. No more noise! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, carnau said:

Have a similar issue on my 2010 sierra 2wd, when turning and hitting a bump I hear a noise in the front end, feel it in the floor a little bit. No abnormal wear on tires so don't think its in the a arms or anything like that. Any ideas?

10 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

Have a similar issue on my 2010 sierra 2wd, when turning and hitting a bump I hear a noise in the front end, feel it in the floor a little bit. No abnormal wear on tires so don't think its in the a arms or anything like that. Any ideas?

It won't be in the torsion bar bushings because your 2wd doesn't have them. It could definitely be in the arms or some of the linkages in the front end.

Archived