2019 Silverado Focus - Thumbs Up Or Down On These New Features?

Gorehamj

silverado 19 sunset.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-30-2018

There is a lot to digest when a new truck launches. We have so far overviewed the Silverado and done a spotlight on the cargo area and also the fuel savings technologies that the new Silverado brings. In this spotlight, we would like to list some of the many small but important changes between the new 2019 truck and the prior generation. Here’s what we found of interest. Tell us your thoughts on these new features. 

silverado cargo tie downs.jpg

Cargo Area Tie Downs

Have you ever had a tie down in the cargo area break while hauling a secured load? If so, the news that Chevy has doubled the strength of the 2019 Silverado’s 12 tie downs will be welcome. Hard to argue stronger isn't better. We give this one a thumbs up.

Power Aluminum Tailgate With Integrated Aero Spoiler

Whenever any publication writes about trucks like the Honda Ridgeline the comments come fast and furious. Any car-like feature is seen as a weakness. It will be interesting to see how truck fans like a power up and down tailgate. The new tailgate is also not made of steel, but aluminum. Having driven pickups for construction crews and landscaping companies, my memory of the tailgate was that it took more abuse than the cargo area did and that if I was hauling crushed stone I had to be damn sure I cleared the gap between the bed and tailgate before I put it up or it would bind and not shut. A power tailgate’s longevity and reliability will be interesting to watch. Finally, with an aerodynamic spoiler mounted at the top of the tailgate, it will be interesting to see if the top is rugged and can support ladders, lumber, and other long items being hauled. The same is true for the cabin area spoiler. Perhaps they will have a non-slip surface and be rugged. We hope so. What say you? Thumbs up?

Automatic Emergency Braking and Lane Keep Assist

Having tested automatic emergency braking, and having had it save one of us from an accident, we have become fans. By being one of the last major automakers to make it standard on top-selling models, Chevy actually has an advantage. The technology has matured and is now free of false positive alerts and other hassles early versions came burdened with. Still, drivers who don’t understand that it can do things attentive humans can’t, will still be unhappy to see it in their truck. Chevy says that, “For 2019, … new safety and convenience features to be announced later this year.” This is what Chevy is talking about and we will be watching to see how Silverado owners react.  We say thumbs up, but predict many will say thumbs down.

Start-Stop Technology

The general consensus from the comments under our spotlight on fuel-saving technologies is that many truck owners are not that interested. Fuel savings are always welcome, but never at the cost of drivability. If the  negative reaction from Ford truck owners is any guide, Stop Start is not going to be popular among new 2019 Silverado owners.   We say thumbs down. Unless the system can be shut off in a way that can be left in that setting, rather than have the system come back on every time the vehicle is restarted. F-150 owners are pulling fuses to stop it on their trucks.  

Chevrolet-Start-Stop-Infographic (1).jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I welcome all the new features....except for Start/Stop.  I travel a lot for work and whenever I get a rental with S/S it drives me crazy.  Never have I driven one that was smooth or tolerable.  That includes Mercedes.  It appears to be defeatable in the new trucks, but I bet it has to be done every time you drive.  That's the only way GM gets the CAFE credit for having the feature.

Yet, 1 more reason the FERD blows....The bed in the 2019 Chevy is outrageously useful looking for the Contractor/ working man/gal.

Anybody, remember the tabs on F-150's used to love cinching up the straps and popping those stupid F'N tabs off the trucks.....Between the 2.7EB and 3.5EB nonsense and aluminum Bed I can't really see anybody who truly uses these trucks to even consider that crap?   

As somebody mentioned GM will probably have to use the button to turn off start/stop feature but if they give us the button than BLESS THEIR HEARTS!

37 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Them extra tie down points are great. Start ..stop not so much. Still wish they had light underhood.

No, doubt!  Remember when lights were all the craze everywhere in the full size segment?  Now we have LED'S and you can't light up the damn engine area with almost negligible power draining LED'S?  We went from 12 cigarette trays to 12 cup holders and no lights in glove box's, trunks, and engine bays?  There should just be discrete LED's everywhere in the damn cab and push your Infotainment screen where you want lights on?

Great information on the '19 Silverado.  I noticed on-line there are a lot of pics detailing the differences in the 8 trim levels.  The one item I was looking for is gear ratios....and information published on that?  I'm curious if some of the models like the LT Trail Boss will be geared for good gas mileage.....or will it be able to tow a little too (or at least a bit easier).  Thanks! 

When it comes to tie downs, the correct number is usually; more is better.

Don't care for automatic braking and am on the fence about auto start/stop. 

Braking is my job & I work at paying attention to my driving and what's going on around me. I don't care, if it's an option I can avoid, or something I can turn off, but other than that, I don't want it.

If you use your truck for hauling then yes tailgate gets beaten to hell. Especially if you let that punk kid at homedepot fork lift a pallet of fence pickets, pavers, etc into your truck ;-)

1) More and stronger bed tie downs-- Good !

2) Aluminum tailgate with more gadgets, no thanks. Tailgates take a beating. Replacements with power actuators will all cost more. Not really a fan of any aluminum body parts ( yes I know my 2016 has an aluminum hood). Most will not be repairable thus will need complete replacement when damaged. What will this do to insurance costs down the line ?

3) No to auto lane assist and auto stop. Put down the Starbucks and cell phone, pay attention and drive the truck. That is what you are behind the steering wheel to do !!

4) Big no to the auto start/stop. One of the largest areas of complaint with these truck is electrical gremlins. All the constant on and off amp draw of the starter with auto start/stop in traffic will further test the questionable electrical systems.

5) Bonus points !!! Not a big fan of the Nisarado styling either. Don't like the modified swoopie Titan front fenders and doors or the fact that the rest of the truck looks like a Colorado on steroids. Guess all of the millenial designers are using the same wind tunnel and drinking the same Starbucks. To each his own.

Archived