Fuse Pull to Prevent Theft

So my brothers Duramax got taken from him while he was at work. We since found the truck but in very rough shape, leaking transfer case and the coolant just pours out of it from some were now. Anyways, my truck is not as valuable as his Duramax was/is. I do have some ok looking rims and it and the truck looks nice. So I decided to resort to an old trick of pulling the starter fuse wich granted will not prevent it from getting stolen just making harder for the thief. Will pulling out the starter fuse frequently have any negative effect on anything? I doubt it, I just want to make sure.

No it shouldn’t. Install a kill switch somewhere if you don’t want to keep pulling the fuse. You could also pull the fuel pump relay. Same thing happened to my parents. My fathers 06 f350 powerstroke got stolen while he was in training for his job. Beautiful truck. Leveled, aftermarket wheels and brand new terra grapplers. Also had full straight pipe exhaust. Extremely clean 1 owner truck. Disappeared. Down here in Florida, the truck was taken and was a mad dash to Miami so it could go in a shipping container. Never seen the truck again. I would do a kill switch that’s hidden somewhere. Or keep pulling fuse or fuel pump relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only concern would be the fuse/relay terminals in the box, they may not take that kind of abuse.

I would install a switch, place it very inconspicuously if you don't have other switches, or put it conspicuously with other switches but not marked.

In the Dodge, the trick was to tie into the clutch safety wiring, which was present on both the manual and automatic equipped trucks...not sure if GM has other points besides the starter or fuel pump?

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Kill switch is the best especially if you get one of the hidden kind.  Not sure about the new electronics.

But I had my 91 Camaro rigged so you had to hold down the door lock switch then turn the key to start it.

But if they want it they will just drag it up onto a roll back.

Yea man let me tell you my bros Duramax was a clean man. Brand new tires on 20x12s. Cant even explain how mad I am for him. Mechanically sound nothing wrong. Kill switch will come but im just doing this for now. Thanks for the reply.

19 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

No it shouldn’t. Install a kill switch somewhere if you don’t want to keep pulling the fuse. You could also pull the fuel pump relay. Same thing happened to my parents. My fathers 06 f350 powerstroke got stolen while he was in training for his job. Beautiful truck. Leveled, aftermarket wheels and brand new terra grapplers. Also had full straight pipe exhaust. Extremely clean 1 owner truck. Disappeared. Down here in Florida, the truck was taken and was a mad dash to Miami so it could go in a shipping container. Never seen the truck again. I would do a kill switch that’s hidden somewhere. Or keep pulling fuse or fuel pump relay.

Yea man let me tell you my bros Duramax was a clean man. Brand new tires on 20x12s. Cant even explain how mad I am for him. Mechanically sound nothing wrong. Kill switch will come but im just doing this for now. Thanks for the reply.

3 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

My only concern would be the fuse/relay terminals in the box, they may not take that kind of abuse.

I would install a switch, place it very inconspicuously if you don't have other switches, or put it conspicuously with other switches but not marked.

In the Dodge, the trick was to tie into the clutch safety wiring, which was present on both the manual and automatic equipped trucks...not sure if GM has other points besides the starter or fuel pump?

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Yea a kill switch is number 1 but now this will do. Just making sure it wont damage anything.

7 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

For temp use it will be fine. Nice thing about newer chevy is the onstar, can track and shut the car down. I would hide said switch away from driver area. Maybe behind back seat or somewhere that you would never think to look.

Exactly, his truck had onstar too but it was not activated, this stuff never happens here were we live but there is a forst for everything it looks like. I was thinking a push button type switch in between the driver seat and center console as low as it can go? Or behind the dash piece that is under the steering wheel some were.

A push button is too obvious...anything under the dash is a dead give away.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

True. I would do a toggle switch. Or find a factory switch for your truck, for an option that your truck doesn’t have. Say like a sunroof. Get a bezel for a sunroof truck, and wire it to that switch. Looks factory and wouldn’t think anything of it

25 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

A push button is too obvious...anything under the dash is a dead give away.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Meant it like behinde the dash panel were are the wiring and supports are. But ypu are right.

17 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

True. I would do a toggle switch. Or find a factory switch for your truck, for an option that your truck doesn’t have. Say like a sunroof. Get a bezel for a sunroof truck, and wire it to that switch. Looks factory and wouldn’t think anything of it

Thats a very good idea. I have a seat heater switch and my truck does not have that option. Or would that be to obvious also?

Archived