2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Caught On Film Completing Cold Weather Testing

Zane

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots02.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

2/2/2018

Almost one year to the day after we got our very first look at the 2019 Silverado 1500 and only three weeks since making the truck official, GM is out testing its HD counterpart, the 2020 Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD. 

Our photographer captured the camouflaged prototypes undergoing cold weather testing. He had this to say about the 2020 HD. 

We expected GM’s new HD trucks to hit the test circuit soon, with the debut of the Silverado 1500 out of the way, and here they are, right on cue.  The prototype’s caught here appear to the Chevy Silverado HD variants, with judging by the horizontal nature of the placeholder LED signatures that are in visible through the frontal camouflage.  We also see what looks like a massive grille—appearing far more prominent on this prototype when compared to the current Silverado 2500 and 3500.

A deep dive into the specs of the recently-unveiled 2019 Silverado 1500 revealed some of the tricks that are also likely destined for the HD truck.  The camouflage hides any evidence of Silverado 1500’s innovative front fascia aerodynamic air curtains, but that’s not surprising, since that design revelation made it all the way to its debut without being leaked.  Expect the same stamping, and packaging innovations that debuted on the 2019 models to translate to the HD models, for increased bed space and cabin space.  It’s clear from these prototypes that GM’s next-gen HD pickups will be massive beasts to match the Ford Super Duty.

So what do you think? From what you've seen of the 2019 Silverado 1500, does the 2020 HD models excite you? We'll have more information about the 2020 Silverado and Sierra HD models in the coming months. 

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD/3500HD Spy Photography

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots01.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots02.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots03.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots04.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots05.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots06.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots07.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots08.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots09.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots10.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots11.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots12.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots13.jpg

Just saw these posted elsewhere. This one is going to be massive! Can't wait to see it uncovered. 

Also hoping GM can convince their dealer network to take more of an interest in both selling & servicing HD/commercial markets. 

Patiently watching this.  Wheel bolt pattern is the same, so I'm going with a slightly updated (stronger/lighter) frame with the T1 body etc. on top.  I think the tow mirror will be interesting.  It looks like its mounted lower on the door and in that blank spot that's on the 1500.  Lots of camo covering the mirror, but you can see where it goes from the new door mount to the old one.  Gonna mount like a modern "West Coast" mirror   

Yes please relocate the def tank! It’s been in the same passenger spot since 2011 and has now grown even larger and hangs well below the frame.   Even with step bars on the truck you can see it protruding underneath on the L5p. 

Heres hopeing since they found clever clever storage behind the rear seats they can find a new inconspicuous and not vulnerable location for the def tank

1 hour ago, Payton34 said:

The headlights look like they are flip flopped compared to the 1500.  Looks like headlight is below the center grill bar.  I hope the DEF tank gets relocated.

From the exhaust, would assume that is a diesel & do not see the tank hanging down any where. 

2 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Where's the hood scoop?

If you blow up the photos, it looks like there is an inset mark under the camo. 

It appears that the headlights will be similar shape except the LED daytime running light strip looks to be different. I'm figuring GM will use the double staked low beam/high beam set up like todays Silverado....It looks like fog lights are going to be in a different location compared to the 2019 Silverado 1500.

Also I am pretty sure that the towing mirror brackets isn't suppose to be that large, the photo shows the mirrors are door mounted like the new 1500's and the new trailer mirrors will look similar to the old 2003-09 Chevrolet Kodiak's .... they used a filler to make the it look like they was mounted higher towards the A pillar.

Image result for 2009 kodiak mirrors

2 minutes ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

It appears that the headlights will be similar shape except the LED daytime running light strip looks to be different. I'm figuring GM will use the double staked low beam/high beam set up like todays Silverado....It looks like fog lights are going to be in a different location compared to the 2019 Silverado 1500.

Also I am pretty sure that the towing mirror brackets isn't suppose to be that large, the photo shows the mirrors are door mounted like the new 1500's and the new trailer mirrors will look similar to the old 2003-09 Chevrolet Kodiak's like the picture attached..... they used a filler to make the it look like they was mounted higher towards the A pillar.

2003-chevrolet-kodiak-4_1600x0w.jpg

You think this rig would work for pulling my 18ft bass tracker?

7 minutes ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

I posted the picture suggesting on how the new trailer mirrors will look!

My Bad!  You think the mirrors would get a good look at my 18ft bass tracker then?

5 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Where's the hood scoop?

4 hours ago, Payton34 said:

The headlights look like they are flip flopped compared to the 1500.  Looks like headlight is below the center grill bar.  I hope the DEF tank gets relocated.

2 hours ago, '01LS1 said:

From the exhaust, would assume that is a diesel & do not see the tank hanging down any where. 

If you blow up the photos, it looks like there is an inset mark under the camo. 

Based on the GM reps responses when discussing the new 1500 Silverado, the way I took when they were asked about a hood scoop on the 1500s it is they didn't do a hood scoop based on customer input and will be gone on the HDs as well which is probably why the grille looks so massive.  And yes, the DEF tank is relocated as they mentioned on the 1500 diesel, it will have the filler next to the fuel cap with an enlarged fuel door like Ford. 

Speaking of cold weather testing, I'd like to see them incorporate a defroster grid at the bottom of the windshield up past the wiper blades and continue it up on the driver's side where the snow and ice gets deposited.

My 99 & 07 Silverados and now 15 Sierra have all had this problem of snow and ice building up at the base of the windshield under the wipers and along the driver's side windshield.

I've actually pulled over to remove it because I'm afraid of the wiper arms stripping.

Just my 2 cents.

A different site has these up but without the GM Trucks watermark and the resolution is a whole lot better.  

Here's what I see based on those:

-Chassis looks to be identical to the current lml.  When you pull of pics of the lml trucks and compare what you can see under the trucks it looks exactly the same.  There may be minor changes, but nothing major.

-DEF tank is now tucked away somewhere (Finally)

-Hood Scoop gone.  As one previous poster noted, the hood scoop was getting to much negative flak.  

-Tow mirrors still have the split glass with LED reverse lights.  Mounting has been revised.

-Added LED lighting (obviously)

-Cab is shared with the 2019 1500 (As with all Chevy HD trucks)

Archived