So what's this gonna cost me?

Truck is 3 weeks old, 2018 Z71...  At the supermarket and as I start to pull forward out of my parking spot, the kid next to me opens his rear door to put groceries in the back seat, and he opens the door so far that the corner of his door is inside my wheel well, on the back passenger side.

So as you can imagine, I pull forward and his door is wedged inside my wheel well and crunched my rear fender.  I think the dents could be removed, but it's the gouge where it cuts into the metal and throught he paint that concerns me the most.   

Sooooo bummed...  I haven't even made the first payment yet and it's already dinged up.  It happened in a parking lot, so while we got a police report, there is no "fault" as there was no citation issued on private property.

Do you all think I am gonna have to replace the whole panel?  Or would it be easier and cheaper to do paintless dent removal on the dents and then install fender flairs to cover the ding on the edge?

IMG_20180202_181614.jpg

IMG_20180202_181610.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took out my rear bumper and corner of my drivers box side backing out the car wash into a pole. It was 2500 bucks at the stealership a grand of that was the bumper. They got the box side straighten out(& I can’t tell it was ever dented)but I think the body shop manager told me they had to respray the whole box side because these trucks are a water based paint and they can’t blend them which sucks because of all colors mine is Summit white and the thing only had been off the lot 6 months. So in my non expert, no body shop experience option I would guess you’ll be around that 1500 mark as your damage looks similar to what mine was.

This is also the reason people always see my truck parked out in the boonies when I park in any kind of lot anywhere. In fact if I have the wife with me I always ask do you want me to drop you off because she knows I’m parking as far away from the door as possible...

It’s been said on here that some independent body shops will cut you a break if you tell them your paying out of pocket instead of insurance if your going to shop around.

Best of luck with your repair and don’t be forever mad about it like me cause I keep telling myself that was a Kicker upgrade or a King Suspension I pissed away...

Please, please don’t let me catch some inconsiderate idiot ass carelessly hitting my truck with an open door.   It will cause subsequent legal problems for me.

But I’d have felt better having made my point. 

Bite the bullet, get three estimates and have it repaired.  Covering up with flares or a cheap repair will bug you for as long as you own the truck.  Consider it one of the many unplanned expenses. we encounter!  Sorry about your upset.

2 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

This is also the reason people always see my truck parked out in the boonies when I park in any kind of lot anywhere. In fact if I have the wife with me I always ask do you want me to drop you off because she knows I’m parking as far away from the door as possible...

I do they same but I cant beleive how many times have I come out only to find a vehicle parked right beside me !!!

Sorry first rule of new car/truck ownership is stay the hell out of parking lots or park in BFE......and sometimes that don't even work. Body shop will make it like it never happened.

22R

4 hours ago, Orlando8 said:

I do they same but I cant beleive how many times have I come out only to find a vehicle parked right beside me !!!

This ^^^. I think people do it just to pizz me off.

You could look for a new takeoff, its not that uncommon for companies to put work boxes on their trucks and sell the beds.

No bondo, no repaint and you can sell your old bed.

s-l1600.jpg

Not to get off track, but how did you get Duratracs on a Z71?  I thought those only came on the Midnight edition?  Or was that something you negotiated as part of the purchase?

1 hour ago, reardiff said:

Not to get off track, but how did you get Duratracs on a Z71?  I thought those only came on the Midnight edition?  Or was that something you negotiated as part of the purchase?

Not DuraTracs. Look like Ridge Grapplers. 

I think i owned my last truck about 36 hours before I was putting the new tires on it haha.

Yeah, as part of the deal on the truck. I got them to throw in aftermarket premium leather seats, a 2" lift front and back, and a set of 285/65r18 RidgeGrapplers.

Unfortunately, the "kid" is in his early 20's and seems like a nice guy, but he is on his mom's insurance and his grandmother was with him and in the cop's face about it being my fault, that I should have known not to pull out of my parking spot while someone was unloading groceries, and extrapolating that if he had been putting a child in the car it could have been a tragedy. I almost laughed in her face but did my best to be respectful.  I told her and the cop that the only way this could have happened was if his door was open so far that the corner of the door was extended inside my wheel well.  My truck doesn't move 6" sideways from a dead stop, it can only go forwards and back.  

My point in telling that, is that I am sure his grandma and his mom will have been working on him to not admit fault to the insurance company, so that his mom's insurance doesn't go up.

I tried recording him admitting it was his fault as he was on the phone with his mom, but the wind kicked up and all you can hear on the video is wind noise.  I swear, the best new phone feature would be for someone to figure out a wind cancelling microphone that doesn't s**t the bed every time there is a breeze out.  Would have been perfect to have that to give to his insurance company... but I didn't realize that the audio was messed up till later, and it's not like I can ask him to repeat that clearly into the camera...

I decided to just bite the bullet and pay the thousand dollar deductible and let my insurance company handle it, including going after his insurance to get my money back.  It's the fastest way to get this resolved without fighting the guy and me personally having to take him to court.

Here are some better shots of the gouge that is the real problem here.  I think the dents could be removed, but this is the tricky part.

IMG_20180203_091435.jpg

IMG_20180203_091430.jpg

Yeah, as part of the deal on the truck. I got them to throw in aftermarket premium leather seats, a 2" lift front and back, and a set of 285/65r18 RidgeGrapplers.

Unfortunately, the "kid" is in his early 20's and seems like a nice guy, but he is on his mom's insurance and his grandmother was with him and in the cop's face about it being my fault, that I should have known not to pull out of my parking spot while someone was unloading groceries, and extrapolating that if he had been putting a child in the car it could have been a tragedy. I almost laughed in her face but did my best to be respectful.  I told her and the cop that the only way this could have happened was if his door was open so far that the corner of the door was extended inside my wheel well.  My truck doesn't move 6" sideways from a dead stop, it can only go forwards and back.  

My point in telling that, is that I am sure his grandma and his mom will have been working on him to not admit fault to the insurance company, so that his mom's insurance doesn't go up.

I tried recording him admitting it was his fault as he was on the phone with his mom, but the wind kicked up and all you can hear on the video is wind noise.  I swear, the best new phone feature would be for someone to figure out a wind cancelling microphone that doesn't s**t the bed every time there is a breeze out.  Would have been perfect to have that to give to his insurance company... but I didn't realize that the audio was messed up till later, and it's not like I can ask him to repeat that clearly into the camera...

I decided to just bite the bullet and pay the thousand dollar deductible and let my insurance company handle it, including going after his insurance to get my money back.  It's the fastest way to get this resolved without fighting the guy and me personally having to take him to court.

Here are some better shots of the gouge that is the real problem here.  I think the dents could be removed, but this is the tricky part.
IMG_20180203_091435.thumb.jpg.2b0c637d6528506f2c33bea327652ca8.jpg
IMG_20180203_091430.thumb.jpg.e0a36e8505b598235d329970908349bf.jpg

You did the right thing going through your ins. Depending on who you have, your company you should be reimbursed by his carrier. It’ll just take some time. With that being said, let’s see some pics of the entire truck! Sounds like a nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived