So what's this gonna cost me?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great looking truck! Sorry to read of your troubles with the parking lot moron, there is always one in every lot, I have been lucky enough to avoid them for 14 years of driving *knock on wood*. I like flares but I am in the boat with Donstar, the set up you have looks fantastic. Your truck though of course! Good luck with the insurance and getting your money back. 

Edit to add I am an Ole Miss guy, probably why I like all that red so much!

14 minutes ago, DCazares said:

Yeah, see, those are a lot more clean and subtle and not "overkill" in my mind.  I like those.  I do wonder if I like them color matched, which would blend them in better, but when they get dinged or scratched I still have to touch up the paint like I would the body panels... or if it is better to leave them matte black like the Raptor does, and not worry about minor scratches because they won't show as much?

On 2/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, redwngr said:

The vehicle that was moving is always the one that is 'at fault'. 

'Over the line' has zero to do with it. Parking lot spaces as they are, I'm pretty sure your door was 'over the line' when you opened it to get in get in. 

And you probably stepped on both sides of the line as you approached your truck. 

To bad the truck doesn't have mirrors for checking for people and objects before moving in a crowded parking lot. 

Be glad you didn't knock over and hurt some little old lady while you were ignoring your surroundings.

Pretty sure the other guy is posting somewhere about this guy that nearly ripped the door of his vehicle while he was just loading his groceries.  But he's nit likely acknowledging that it might have been considerate (and a defensive move) to close the door. 

He's probably proud that he made sure that nothing touched the shiny new truck when he opened the door.

Now if the guy did damage to you truck while the truck was stationary, that would be a whole different conversation.

As sad and unfortunate as this sounds, it is true. If my child came home telling me this same story as Squire, I would yell at them for pulling out while somebody was standing within inches of them and not watching the mirror to be sure there was no contact made. 

Again, I agree that it was the kid's fault that he opened the door too far and caused the accident But what would have happened if you drove over granny's foot while you pulled out? Is the insurance going to say it was her fault for standing with her foot over the white line? While other morons may be responsible for the damage, as a good driver its up to us to prevent their stupidity from being a problem in the first place.

17 minutes ago, aseibel said:

As sad and unfortunate as this sounds, it is true. If my child came home telling me this same story as Squire, I would yell at them for pulling out while somebody was standing within inches of them and not watching the mirror to be sure there was no contact made. 

Again, I agree that it was the kid's fault that he opened the door too far and caused the accident But what would have happened if you drove over granny's foot while you pulled out? Is the insurance going to say it was her fault for standing with her foot over the white line? While other morons may be responsible for the damage, as a good driver its up to us to prevent their stupidity from being a problem in the first place.

We can Monday Morning quarterback it all day long and people are gonna have opposing views...  I know that from my perspective, if I am unloading something and open my door, it is my job to make sure my door doesn't intrude on others... That means not dinging their door, or blocking them from a spot, or opening my door into traffic as a cab goes by.

If someone was pulling in or pulling out(giggity), and I put opened my door into their car, I would expect to be at fault.  They were in their spot doing what they are supposed to do, and if my ass bumped my door further open and it hits there car, then it's on me.  But maybe that's just me.

3 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

If someone was pulling in or pulling out(giggity), and I put opened my door into their car, I would expect to be at fault.  They were in their spot doing what they are supposed to do, and if my ass bumped my door further open and it hits there car, then it's on me.  But maybe that's just me.

I agree with you. But all I'm saying is the insurance companies don't operate on logic. I would be shocked if your insurance co recovers your deductible, because the other company will just be arguing that its your fault for pulling out (giggity) while they were standing there. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. This just shows that nobody is looking out for your vehicle besides you. I'm just saying, I would be extremely hesitant to pull out when someone is standing next to my truck with a door open. I probably wouldn't move until I know they are watching me, just to prevent the accidental butt bump you mentioned.

When my truck was 2 months old, I had my snowplow installed. I went to pick it up from the plow dealer and watched the guy park it about 18" away from another big truck. He opened my driver's door into the truck and chipped a bit of paint off the edge of my door. No dent, so I didn't even want to deal with them. I just used my paint pen to fix it.

18 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

We can Monday Morning quarterback it all day long and people are gonna have opposing views...  I know that from my perspective, if I am unloading something and open my door, it is my job to make sure my door doesn't intrude on others... That means not dinging their door, or blocking them from a spot, or opening my door into traffic as a cab goes by.

Please let us know the outcome.  We all appreciate accidents are accidents.  From my parking lot mishap experience I am inclined to think aseibel's thoughts are inline with how the insurance company will rule.  

Yeah, I am sure the insurance company will do whatever they are gonna do...  The one thing in this, is that the other guy, admitted that it was clearly his fault.  He even said that to the police officer and that matches the account of the witness who was walking by and saw it.

Basically, the only one contesting fault was his grandma who I don't even know was on the side of the car where the incident occurred.  haha

On 04/02/2018 at 12:02 PM, redwngr said:

The vehicle that was moving is always the one that is 'at fault'. 

'Over the line' has zero to do with it. Parking lot spaces as they are, I'm pretty sure your door was 'over the line' when you opened it to get in get in. 

And you probably stepped on both sides of the line as you approached your truck. 

To bad the truck doesn't have mirrors for checking for people and objects before moving in a crowded parking lot. 

Be glad you didn't knock over and hurt some little old lady while you were ignoring your surroundings.

Pretty sure the other guy is posting somewhere about this guy that nearly ripped the door of his vehicle while he was just loading his groceries.  But he's nit likely acknowledging that it might have been considerate (and a defensive move) to close the door. 

He's probably proud that he made sure that nothing touched the shiny new truck when he opened the door.

Now if the guy did damage to you truck while the truck was stationary, that would be a whole different conversation.

Respectfully, I'd have to mostly disagree with this. A person opening a car door is responsible for being in control of that door, until it's closed. If they let it fly open into a neighboring car, causing a dent, it's their fault. It's the same as when you open your door when parked on the side of street; door a bicyclist, pedestrian, or car & it's your fault.

A person opening a car door in a lot is also responsible for being aware of what the neighboring vehicle in a parking lot is doing and noticing if it's running, etc. The kid did at least 2 things wrong; wasn't aware of the OP's truck & wasn't in control of his door. If the truck was 8" further ahead, there would have been a nice dent from the kid carelessly opening the door.

The OP may possibly have erred in not fully checking that mirror, but on that same point, he's not in the wrong if he first checked it, saw it was safe, then started moving ahead, then the kid opened the door.......

14 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

Respectfully, I'd have to mostly disagree with this. A person opening a car door is responsible for being in control of that door, until it's closed. If they let it fly open into a neighboring car, causing a dent, it's their fault. It's the same as when you open your door when parked on the side of street; door a bicyclist, pedestrian, or car & it's your fault.

A person opening a car door in a lot is also responsible for being aware of what the neighboring vehicle in a parking lot is doing and noticing if it's running, etc. The kid did at least 2 things wrong; wasn't aware of the OP's truck & wasn't in control of his door. If the truck was 8" further ahead, there would have been a nice dent from the kid carelessly opening the door.

The OP may possibly have erred in not fully checking that mirror, but on that same point, he's not in the wrong if he first checked it, saw it was safe, then started moving ahead, then the kid opened the door.......

That's kinda where my head is at...   I can sit here second guessing myself, and of course, had I KNOWN that his door was inside my wheel well or saw it happen as I pulled forward, maybe that would be different.

But yeah, if the person opening the door is responsible for whatever their door hits.. but it a car, a bike, a pedestrian... then I see that it makes little difference if their car door opens and hits something stationary, versus something moving.  Ultimately, it still falls on them for opening their door "into another object"...  

I figured you’d be around 1500 to fix. Let us know what happens with your insurance company. I’m hopeful that what I think is going to happen doesn’t but that is your rates go up over the 400 bucks that they are actually paying for... That would be the ultimate slap in the face out of this deal. 

You got before pics I’d take a couple when you get it back from the stealership and hang on to them all since it will show up on all the vehicle reports as having a insurance claim against it. Just in case you decide to sell it out right some day. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Orlando8 said:

I do they same but I cant beleive how many times have I come out only to find a vehicle parked right beside me !!!

I remember when my '07 was 2 weeks old ...in a Target lot ...parked  on far side all by its lonesome... came out to see a cart being blown by the wind...directly towards drivers door .....

I could not run fast enough ... so I turned away as  I could not bear to watch ....

I hate that happened, I know the feeling. I had a 07 Tundra SR5 that I had rims and tires put on  as soon as I got it. I went out to eat after hunting one Saturday and like others I parked out in no mans land so that I wouldn't get any door dents. Some prick keyed my truck from the tip of the front fender all the way to the end of the bed. I would have loved to caught that SOB. I would have sanded the scratch out with his head.

Archived