Mod or not?

15 Z71

So a good friend of mine bought a 100th anniversary silverado today and he already wants to mod stuff. I told him to leave it all original. What are your thoughts on This? Leave it original or mods?

I say mod away for two reasons hundreds of those 100 year trucks will get bought and not driven just stored away “cause someday they’ll be worth double what was paid for them”. Or at least that’s what everyone thinks 10 years from now the market will be flooded with these then nobody ever wants to pay up for one cause the minute you buy one a lower mileage lower priced one shows up so most of them will end up at the classic car dealers lots for a year or two as they wait for the right buyer to come along. Great examples of this include the SSR, 14-15 Z28, SRT-10 & 02 SS /WS6. In 2028 what will new trucks be like I don’t know but odds are 98% of people looking for a truck are going to buy a 28 if it’s the same price as a 18 100 year special edition right?

Also 90% of mods are reversible anyway change wheels keep the stockers, UCAs same, CAI same, shocks/struts same, exhaust same, debage keep emblems in a ziplock baggy, custom tune mine has the stock tunes stored for eng and tranny. I’d say 75% of buyers wouldn’t pass on the truck if it has a couple tasteful mods especially if he has the stock parts to go with but 90% would if he don’t have any records of the maintenance of the truck. Just my 2cents worth...

I don't know about anyone else but I have never seen any classic truck with a nice lift, rims, exhaust, etc. and thought "oh god, they ruined it". For me personally it comes down to taste more than anything.

That said, I have to imagine that most of the guys on here are modding their trucks in some way, so your answers are going to be geared toward that.

I’d personally never buy a modded truck unless it was a junker modded for plow duty around the house. Not that every person who mods their vehicle beats on it, but I just don’t like taking that risk. As far as special editions, i wouldn’t be one to pay a premium just for some cosmetics, especially on a truck. Trucks are meant to be used and driven, not stored away like a sports car. I suppose the Raptor is the one truck that can break that stigma, but less so while it remains in production. So tell him to do whatever mods will make him enjoy driving it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

Unless he’s covering it up and putting it in a humidity control environment and never driving it.... mod it... it’s a daily driver.... make it yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well said

I'm with the majority here... It's a truck. SE or not.

That said, I'm waiting for the powertrain warranty to expire on mine before I get anywhere near a tune or anything that touches software or hardware that's difficult to replace.. If it isn't easily reversible (with an thought to "can I do this on the side of the road before it's towed to the dealer...") I don't do it for now. 

I'm very warranty conscious, but others aren't. If you've got the cash to cover something not being covered, I don't see what the problem would be.

Archived