going to look at a 2012 gmc 1500 4x4 reg cab work truck model for my son. it has 75,000 on it. floor shift transfer case and a couple other options. anything to look  for in this model? it has the 4.8 v8. it wont be used for towing as i have the duramax  but will get slightly larger set of tires on it.  thanks

Any updates? If it has the floor 4wd shifter it is work truck (lowest trim). 

‘Trucks with 4.8L came with the good ol 4l60e 4 speed auto. 2009 and up 5.3l came with 6l80 6 speed auto. Both are good, of course more gears will help,get you moving and a small mpg improvement. 

Other than going for for a good test drive and having a local mechanic give it a once over, let us know which one you drove home!

private seller stopped communicating once i asked for a pic of the rpo codes and still is trying to sell the truck which is listed locally and on web. dealer sold the other one so the search continues. im just looking for a base model 4x4 truck either reg cab or extended. its for my 18 year old son.  some deals out there out of state but just dont have the time to travel so trying to stay local.  he wont be towing as i have the duramax for that but would prefer the 5.3. sent a few inquiries out on car gurus and ill see what happens. ill update if i can find something. looking for 2007 or newer  without a ton of miles as i dont want it to turn into a project 

IMO

I would only buy a 5.3, 3.42 gears.

Difference in cost would be little if any used.

If you want to add bigger tires or tow some with it your set.

:)

4.8 will be fine in regular cab.

Having said that if a similar 5.3 is for sale for a little more go for that. If crew cab then definitely 5.3. 

3:42 or 3:73 gears. Absolutely no 3:08 gears!

I'd take a 4.8 over a 4.3L v6 but preference would be the 5.3 after having driven a truck with the 4.8 as a work truck.  It does ok but the 5.3 does it better and you will be happy.

Before you rule the 4.8 out, I think the 4.8 does not have AFM. Someone confirm that please.

If its a non-AFM, I would take a hard look at it. It may be down a couple of HP vs the 5.3, but I would not buy a 07 or later truck with AFM unless it one of the 2014+ engines.

Archived