Cosmetics - badging

You can see in my signature what I’m driving - but on the front doors, instead of the chromed “Sierra” badge, I have only “Texas Edition” badges.   Not Tex Ed on top of Sierra like I’ve seen.  

Now, I’d prefer what I have over having both, but strongly prefer just “Sierra.”  How difficult (& costly) to swap the badges?  I know some may like the TexEd badge and some don’t like badges at all.  

But but I like em.  But want something else.  Isn’t that always the case?

Taking them off is easy. Give it a quick bath, or at least the areas where you will pull the badges. (This will help prevent any dirt from scraping the paint with the eraser wheel.) A touch with the heat gun to warm up the tape a little and some fishing line behind it after to pop the badge. Run over with a microfiber sprayed with water or wash. Dry area. (this is to get any dirt stuck behind the lettering) After get a 3M eraser wheel and that will remove the remaining sticky residue.

GM parts direct has all the name plates, $42 a pop for the SIERRA letters. (https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/auto-parts/2016/gmc/sierra-1500/sle-trim/5-3l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/exterior-trim-front-door-scat)

You can mount them one of two ways. Measurement with painters tape to block out where it should go like this -> |____   or putting blue painters tape around the current badge before removal (and just be careful with that eraser wheel)

I lived in Texas for the last 10 years before retirement.  At retirement in 2012, we relocated to South Carolina.  in 2015 started looking for my first pick up.  Looked high and low for 6.2 with MAX tow pkg for towing and some bells and whistles.  Finally, April 2016, found one on the internet 90 miles away.  Bought it straight away...it was the Texas Edition and proudly labeled on the front door panels.  Given our great time spent in Texas, I guess it was meant to be!  I still would like a nicely designed 6.2L badge on the tail.  

I actually like my sierra badging but I want to black out the GMC logos. I shiny black sierra/sle logos but I cant find an ALL BLACK GMC logo for the grill or rear for a resonable price. Yes I know I can wrap the red insert or paint the entire logo, My problem with the wrap is I dont want the chrome to show, and Vinyl gets weird and touchy when you wax if you go with high gloss to match the other black sierra logos. And painting them gloss black is the same problem, with waxing and buffing. Suggestions?

On my 14 Silverado I painted the Bow Ties with gloss black and then added 2 coats of clear, they looked great and waxed fine.  The only problem was stone chips, had to redo the front one. 

On my 17 Silverado I used plasti-dip and left them flat black.  The flat looks better in my opinion.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:19 PM, Boardmember said:

You can see in my signature what I’m driving - but on the front doors, instead of the chromed “Sierra” badge, I have only “Texas Edition” badges.   Not Tex Ed on top of Sierra like I’ve seen.  

Now, I’d prefer what I have over having both, but strongly prefer just “Sierra.”  How difficult (& costly) to swap the badges?  I know some may like the TexEd badge and some don’t like badges at all.  

But but I like em.  But want something else.  Isn’t that always the case?

Ya, the special edition badges are cool, but not for everybody's taste. My 2017 Silverado has a 'Z71' emblem on the door rather than the standard 'SILVERADO' badging.

I do like the 'Z71' badging on my truck as you don't see it on many trucks. To each his own. The good news is that GM parts offers all the badges so you can get pretty much what you're looking for. 

Z71.jpg

Loco - I’ve not seen that.  Nice!

besides not having any ties to Texas except my brother-in-law, that edition package includes three stupid things that are available in other configurations.   I can’t remember but it’s something dumb like running boards, vented seats and floor mats...

Archived