Transmission temperature

Plow is going to affect it due to the lack of airflow.  HD trucks run a continuous flow trans cooling system unlike the K2 1500 trucks which are thermostatically regulated. 

W/O the plow on, winter times it should run 100-140F, summer 130-175F.  If you drive on the road with the blade angled, you will have airflow to the coolers and keep the temps down.  I'd expect about 200F maybe a bit more with the blade on.  The warning message comes on at 270F.  Hot fluid check operating temps are spec'd at 160-200F. 

Also, keeping the plow off when there isn't a storm is very helpful, seeing as basically every plow on the market comes on and off of a truck in about 2 minutes or less. 

I think the manual recommends to check the fluid when the trans temp is 100 degrees over the ambient temperature outside.  Usually you have to be working the truck more than highway driving to get to that temp.  Such as towing, plowing or lots of stop and go with different gear shifting.  Id say somewhere around 150 while doing light plowing and if you were doing commercial I wouldn't be surprised to see 180 even up to 200 if you're pushing it hard.  

2 hours ago, fjtort2 said:

I  was in the 230-250 range with a heavy wet 16" snow a few years back.. The 6.0 and the tranny can handle this all day long. No issues.. Enjoy the truck and plow!

This.

Driving down the road with a plow raised is no longer a issue as the trucks are so tall now that the plow doesn't block the grill, still lots of airflow.

It would take a deep deep snow in a small lot to get the trans hot.

Having said that it can only help to drain and fill once a year as it only gets about 1/3 of the fluid out.

Archived