Best AT Tires for a 1500 4x4 driving in the rain?

New 2018 GMC Z71, CrewCab 1500 Just got rid of the cheap Goodyear’s that came on the truck, installed Michelin Defenders and very happy with them until I almost got stuck in wet grass while at a sports field. KO2’s I love but are way to heavy ruining mpg’s. Defenders are awesome in rain and dry but not to good in wet grass. I’ve also looked at Nitto and other brands but really want to stay away from Asian made tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Duratrac Wranglers. I have never had a traction problem, except one time on a exit ramp where I was going too fast in the snow... I forgot to let air out of the tires once on the beach and had absolutely no problems...
Mpg wise, I’d say they’re just about average, for the last year, my mpg was 18, for a solid mix of highway and town driving, truck is advertised as 17mpg average.
I don’t have a complaint about them. Love them and will continue using them until they’re no longer produced.
I also listen to my music on the loud side, so road noise is not an issue for me as some other people complain about.

I have nitto ridge grapplers (35x11.5x20). Quite possibly one of the best tires I've ever had on my truck. It plows through all the snow in upstate NY, and I've never had issues during the rainy season. MPG is about the same, maybe 1 mpg less. I can't hear road noise from them at all, except for maybe if you had all the windows down, and no music playing. Otherwise I don't notice it at all. about 10k miles on them for me, and so far a pretty decent wear rate. zero issues thus far, very aggressive looking (kind of like a MT) but keeps all the benefits of an AT

Almost stuck in wet grass?  How much air do you have in them?  I have those same tires on my 00 and they have worked for me in every condition I've encountered.  They do get a little greasy if I over inflate them.  My only complaint is that they are actually heavier than K02s in the same size.

I have the KO2 and love them so far.  What ever tire you chose I don't think worrying about a couple MPG's is that big a deal. I mean we did buy trucks rght?. I bought a set of 18's from Craigslist a and went with the 285 KO2's. Have not gone back to the 20's since. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Many of the common Ridge Grappler sizes are made in the USA, I read that on here and actually emailed Nitto and they confirmed it. I'm looking at the Ridge Grapplers in either 275/70r18 or 285/65r18 for my next tire. I'm running the Cooper STT pro's in 275/70 now and they are a bit loud for my liking, and they suck in light snow/rain. 

See if the KO2s are available in Load Range C in the size you want.  I'm running them on my old truck and they are rock solid in the rain, truck doesn't budge at 80mph in heavy rain.  OEM tires were 38 pounds each, the C- tires are 45 pounds and the E- tires are 53 pounds in the stock size of 265-70-17.  

Weight will obviously vary by size. I have 285/55 ko2’s that weigh 56lbs. Not bad

The 275/60/20 Defenders I now have are 42 lbs

See if the KO2s are available in Load Range C in the size you want.  I'm running them on my old truck and they are rock solid in the rain, truck doesn't budge at 80mph in heavy rain.  OEM tires were 38 pounds each, the C- tires are 45 pounds and the E- tires are 53 pounds in the stock size of 265-70-17.  

Thanks, never knew they made c rated KO2’s

I have the KO2 and love them so far.  What ever tire you chose I don't think worrying about a couple MPG's is that big a deal. I mean we did buy trucks rght[emoji6]. I bought a set of 18's from Craigslist a and went with the 285 KO2's. Have not gone back to the 20's since. 
image.thumb.jpeg.dec17f42cf58182cfa53a03a3c969f23.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.f5de46cb444a38bc4a295183b376684e.jpeg

Last time I ran KO2’s on my 16 Z71 CrewCab LTZ DMax I lost approx 5 mpg’s. Just recently ran KO2’s on my new 18 GMC CrewCab Z71 SLT 6.2 and I could definitely hear them inside the cab and also noticed the longer stop and longer acceleration time with approx 2mpg loss. Yeah, I like buying new trucks often according to my lifestyle but the KO2’s would definitely be my first if it wasn’t for the in cab humming and rolling performance

I have read (after buying mine) that they get noisy after a while.  The previous Rugged Trails were not that loud and the KO2s are a bit quieter but have less than 10k miles on them as of now.  Don't know about mileage, one of my cats has been getting worse and worse but curiously does alright on E85.  When these wear out I might run the Load Range B Michelin Defender LTXs (62115).

I have read (after buying mine) that they get noisy after a while.  The previous Rugged Trails were not that loud and the KO2s are a bit quieter but have less than 10k miles on them as of now.  Don't know about mileage, one of my cats has been getting worse and worse but curiously does alright on E85.  When these wear out I might run the Load Range B Michelin Defender LTXs (62115).

I’ve got the P rated Defenders on my truck, very smooth. Michelin is the best, just wish they made a stronger all terrain than the AT2’s

Archived