Chevy Offering Huge Incentives On Malibu

Gorehamj

malibu 8k off.png

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-6-2018

All indications are that now is a pretty good time to shop for a Malibu if there is an empty garage bay at your house.  Although GM is enjoying increases in transaction prices overall, when it comes to midsized sedans, Chevy is offering more incentive dollars than any other automaker to move inventory. And the trend is up for Chevy.

Chevy is offering up to $5,500 in cash on the dash, on average, according to a study by Motor Intelligence. Honda is so confident in its new 2018 Accord's abilities to attract buyers it is slashing incentive spending to nearly zero. Incentive spending is a combination of cash back, dealer discount incentives, special financing, and other offers automakers use to entice buyers.

Honda incentives discounts graph midsize janary 2018.png

Chevy’s Malibu discounting is up 11% year over year and shows no signs of slowing. Some dealers are offering up to $8,000 discounts on Malibu (see above image). It seems Chevy is desperate to move the Malibu. In December, Chevy sold about 16,000 Malibus. The January sales number dropped to just 7,553. By contrast, Toyota sold 43,000 Camrys in December.

7 hours ago, Nargg said:

I owned a Malibu once.  Good car.  I have no like for sedans any more though.  GM needs to get out of the sedan market and get stronger on vehicles people really want.

Yeah, they only sold 185,000 of them last year... http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/malibu/chevrolet-malibu-sales-numbers/

That said, do wish they would put the V6 back in it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nargg said:

I owned a Malibu once.  Good car.  I have no like for sedans any more though.  GM needs to get out of the sedan market and get stronger on vehicles people really want.

Same with VW how many total units units moved in US?  Same with Nissan Titan's?  Even the coveted Tundra?  What is their yearly totals?  Maybe look at other poor volume sales before killing a car that sells around 200k yearly?

Edited by mookdoc6

On 2/6/2018 at 10:34 PM, '01LS1 said:

Yeah, they only sold 185,000 of them last year... http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/malibu/chevrolet-malibu-sales-numbers/

That said, do wish they would put the V6 back in it. 

I would’ve though this way too but No need for it. The premier comes with 2.0 turbo 0-60 in 5.7 beats both the Camry and accord that are v6s. As crazy as that is slap a tune and intake on it ppl are running low 5s and adding a crazy 40 hp. You think are trucks are dummied down with TCm they got nothing on how dummied down the cars are. Wife has this version still gets 27 mpg I put an aem intake on it pretty fun little car. Kinda want to but the tune in it but this is her daily driver so I’ll stop with the intake. Doubt you see a  v6 back in a midsize car at this point the turbos are the way to go it seems.

Edited by Tleesmith14

If I was going to go out tomorrow and buy a sedan it would be an Impala with the V6. 

I would also buy an Impala before I would buy one of these little SUV/Crossover vehicles. 

Edited by GPGuy

11 hours ago, Colossus said:

can't stand the sound of a high reving 4 cylinder. 

Yup, the manufactures are so close to where you don't know....but you still know it's 4cyl after driving....Maybe one day? 

13 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Especially when that little 4 cyl turbo blows your Silverado's door off! 

The 1.5L in my Malibu can't even blow it's own doors off lol... the 2.0 turbo would probably smoke a 5.3 Silverado tho... We we're close to buying one with the 2L mill but, couldn't stomach the thought of buying premium gas...