Engine bay lights

Does anyone have a quick DIY wiring for lighting for the engine box? I was outside in the dark putting DEF in my truck last night and I dropped a cap and it didn’t sound like it went far but you can only see 1 hand breath into the box. Seems like it would be easy to do. Wasn’t sure if there is an easy power source other than the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen numerous pics on different threads where a small LED light (like rock lights) was installed on the hood near the latch. Some minor trimming of the underhood insulation might be required. The wiring was tucked under the lip of the insulation down the side to the battery...seemed pretty simple. Some put in regular switches or others put a magnet style switch where the light came on automatically when the hood was opened...

I can't recall where I saw these threads...might have been in this 2500 section or the 1500 section for Accessories & Modifications... 

2 hours ago, rocnrol said:

I have one of these gm classic gems to install under the hood emoji6.png90233cc0f422e5647f1862a23eb1d3db.jpg

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Nice thing was how far the spool of wire would let you carry the light.

I don't recall them being overly bright.

Maybe an LED  light could be rigged to to it.

• 2 weeks later...
These look like they could work...would just need a switch of some kind and a convenient power source to tap into.

https://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-License-Trailer-Courtesy-Lights/dp/B075GL641C/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1519185291&sr=8-17&keywords=under+hood+light
Go to the auto wreckers and get an old underhood light that has the mercury switch. Or even use one out of a thermostat. [emoji6]

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Can somebody point me in the direction of a good wire to tap into to power them? I'd prefer to not hook directly to the battery terminal and all of the other wires are wound up tight and tucked away.

I would prefer to hook up to the battery so you are not cutting into a wire loom and splicing to an existing wire. Seems much easier to crimp on an eyelet on each wire from the light, cover in shrink tubing, and install on the battery. Then cover the wire in split loom for protection (and factory look)...I would also use an in-line fuse prior to whatever switch you chose (manual, magnetic, "mercury" style, etc...)

I just leave a headlamp in the door of my truck.

I also have a flashlight on me at all times.

....but this is what I’m trying to prevent. A head might and/or flashlight would be used to enhance the lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived