E85 in the 4.3 Ecotec3, Yes or No?

There's alot of good info in this thread.  We've established that these engines definitely perform better while using E85.  But I really still haven't gotten an answer on my original question.  It's been said for years, that even on flex fuel vehicles, stay away from Ethanol.  Do to the lack of lubrication, and the presence of moisture, over time it plays hell on your fuel system lines and components, and within 5-10 years you'll be replacing all of it.  My original question was, does that still ring true with these new Ecotec 3's, or have the engineers found a a fix for that?

9 hours ago, tim5779 said:

Do to the lack of lubrication, and the presence of moisture, over time it plays hell on your fuel system lines and components, and within 5-10 years you'll be replacing all of it.  My original question was, does that still ring true with these new Ecotec 3's, or have the engineers found a a fix for that?

False premise.  E85 does not play hell on the fuel system.  So there's no fix for something that does not really exist.

• Like 1

Have the 4.3 running E85 with the AFM disabler in a Regular Cab and the mileage drop has been barely .5mpg in the city running both items.There seems to be a little more pep on the Ethanol but nothing to write home about.As far as the V6 / V8 comments they always crack me up.I have also driven the Regular cab 5.3s and the difference feels marginal from the V6 IMO the 4.3 is a fine workhorse and a little more reliable

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG

On 4/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, tim5779 said:

There's alot of good info in this thread.  We've established that these engines definitely perform better while using E85.  But I really still haven't gotten an answer on my original question.  It's been said for years, that even on flex fuel vehicles, stay away from Ethanol.  Do to the lack of lubrication, and the presence of moisture, over time it plays hell on your fuel system lines and components, and within 5-10 years you'll be replacing all of it.  My original question was, does that still ring true with these new Ecotec 3's, or have the engineers found a a fix for that?

Now that begs the question... who is adding water to their fuel tank?  Last time I checked, automotive fuel systems of the last several decades have been non-vented.  So for any substantial moisture to get in there, someone must be adding it.  The lubricity argument is for diesel, not gasoline.

Those speculations are a little valid in terms of vented fuel systems like lawnmowers and such. And ethanol is indeed hydroscopic, meaning it will attract moisture.  But so is brake fluid, and you don't hear a hue an cry going out across the nation about hydraulic brake systems do you?   The problem with the anti-ethanol arguments that get thrown around, they are Half Vast Arguments Based On Half Vast Data.  Now.... say that quickly 3 times!

My 2013 1500 5.3 lived most of it's time with me on E85.  Nary an issue.  My present 2015 2500 6.0 also is living in E85.  The price spreads are so good, especially this year, that it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.  Even with the diminished mpg, the cost per mile is still a few cents a mile less than using regular. 

• Like 2

Now that begs the question... who is adding water to their fuel tank?  Last time I checked, automotive fuel systems of the last several decades have been non-vented.  So for any substantial moisture to get in there, someone must be adding it.  The lubricity argument is for diesel, not gasoline.

Those speculations are a little valid in terms of vented fuel systems like lawnmowers and such. And ethanol is indeed hydroscopic, meaning it will attract moisture.  But so is brake fluid, and you don't hear a hue an cry going out across the nation about hydraulic brake systems do you?   The problem with the anti-ethanol arguments that get thrown around, they are Half Vast Arguments Based On Half Vast Data.  Now.... say that quickly 3 times!

My 2013 1500 5.3 lived most of it's time with me on E85.  Nary an issue.  My present 2015 2500 6.0 also is living in E85.  The price spreads are so good, especially this year, that it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.  Even with the diminished mpg, the cost per mile is still a few cents a mile less than using regular. 
I thought ethanol/methanol was used in dry gas??? Rarely see that on the shelf these days....

So why would free water be present anyway (it would be bound/mixed with the alcohol)? You have a tank full of dry gas and very little chance of getting moisture entrained anyway...and as long as you actually drive the vehicle, that water is going to be expelled rather quickly.

I don't understand the entire water in ethanol argument...

ULSD is hygroscopic too...I found that out the hard way.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I thought ethanol/methanol was used in dry gas??? Rarely see that on the shelf these days....

So why would free water be present anyway (it would be bound/mixed with the alcohol)? You have a tank full of dry gas and very little chance of getting moisture entrained anyway...and as long as you actually drive the vehicle, that water is going to be expelled rather quickly.

I don't understand the entire water in ethanol argument...

ULSD is hygroscopic too...I found that out the hard way.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

Yeah, ULSD is it's own can  of worms.  I always carry a couple of fuel filters for my diesels with me for changing as necessary. .

Edited by Cowpie

From a refining standpoint there is always a bit of entrained water in gasoline. That crude contains water withstanding gasoline is caustic and water washed to remover acids. The content is indeed small. There is also the stations tanks and some of those are awful. Water and gasoline are not miscible but alcohols/gasoline and water are. Remember Heat? 

• Like 2