Thoughts on fuel that has ethanol

Ok so I've got a 2017 Sierra All Terrain with the 6.2L in it. I've been filling up with Shell 91 which has no ethanol in it apparently. I'm curious as to if it's worth it to use Petro 94 that has up to 10% ethanol. Is ethanol a death trap for my truck or would it be fine?

That's what I'm also thinking. But in my manual it says that I need to run at least 93 Octane. And up in Canada here we do have that but it also has up to 10% ethanol in it. I have been using shell 91 octane and everything seems to be fine I just want full potential of that motor.

91 is all I can get around here, closest station with 93 is 100  miles distant.  I am using 91 Murphy in my '17 6.2L Denali Ultimate, and it has no ethanol (also in my 2016 and 2012 6.2L).  Most all premium sold around here does not contain ethanol.  If you have a boat, snowmobile or other small engine its not recommended, primarily because ethanol blended fuel does not store well. Use up within 30 days or fuel system problems can result. Depends a lot on the age of the equipment and the design.  Lots of marine problems with gummed up fuel systems on infrequently used boats as well at ATV/Snowmobiles that sit for (6) months during off season.

In my opinion, corn belongs in our stomachs, not our gas tanks. I'd stick with ethanol free if possible. A station close to me offers 91 rec fuel with no ethanol. I run it in my tractor, zero turn, and small equipment. I'd love to run it in my truck, but at over $4/gallon, I can't afford it. 

Run the 94.  Ethanol gets a bad rap because most individuals to not understand it.  In new vehicles they are set up to run it in small amounts and the vehicles that have yellow gas caps are made to run on E85.  They take full advantage of flex fuel. 

Ethanol burns cooler and cleaner. It will help to keep your combustion chamber clean plus it has a higher octane so you ECM can advance timing and take advantage of that.

There are a lot of Camaro/Vette owners that are converting their cars to run on flex fuel.  Most just need the ethanol sensor and then tune the ECM for it to take full advantage of it. They are getting 10 to 20 more RWHP just by running E85 over 93 pure gasoline.

I have been running it in my 02 Silverado for three years now as high of a mix as 50/50 since my truck isn't flex fuel.  I have noticed it runs smoother and better throttle response.  Mileage suffers if I mix it to strong but then the cost of E85 at $1.95 a gallon and 93 premium is at $2.90 I'm still ahead if I have to fuel more often.

Just don't use it in your lawn equipment.  The small engine industry has not caught up for use of ethanol.

I run E85 unless I'm going on a trip. the smell out of the exhaust pipe is awesome lol. as already said the trucks run so much better on higher octane because of the timing advance. I have seen 40 degrees on acceleration on mine running E85 but ive never looked to see what it is on 87.  I also have an injector or 2 that do not like regular 87 octane E10. they tick really bad on cold starts but do not do it on E85.

I wouldn't worry about it. Anybody who lives in a major metropolitan area has no choice but to use ethanol blended gas (up to 10%).  I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life and used ethanol gas exclusively.  Not by choice, but the nearest alcohol free gas is multiple counties away.  Have had multiple vehicles with well over 100k miles with no problems what's so ever.  Here's a link you can use to locate gas stations with ethanol-free gas in your area  https://www.pure-gas.org. (Note some stations may only have non-ethanol 87 but not for 91/93)

If you have a choice, I would use non-ethanol gas,  but if not I wouldn't loose any sleep or it. Now for a boat or small engine as mentioned, I would avoid if at all possible, but again depending on where you live this may be difficult if not impossible. 

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Its not going to harm anything.  The fuel system in your truck can handle it all day long. 

Plus 11 to 1 compression engines prefer higher octane alcohol over low octane pump gas. Reduced spark knock=more power. Engine is designed for alcohol.

Archived