Rear Defogger

17 minutes ago, bkesting said:

I think it runs for like 10 min when truck is running normally....but I'm not totally sure.

Comes on automatically with remote start (in the cold). Never paid much attention to it but seems it should cancel itself after awhile. Today was still on at end of thirty minute drive. Normal?

Interesting question. I can't find a time limit posted in the owners manual. But every vehicle I have driven has a timer, I believe around 10 minutes. On really cold snowy days, I find myself having to turn it on multiple times. I'll have to pay attention to this on mine to see how long it lasts.

I usually notice the indicator light and turn it off manually.  It  has to be restarted after the ignition has been turned off.   My wife's Yaris's defogger will automatically go to the on position if it wasn't turned off previously.  I suspect that they don't time out.

found this on page 163 of the 2017 owners manual:

Personalization Menus/ Vehicle/ Climate and Air Quaility:

Auto Rear Defog

This feature will automatically turn on the rear defogger when it is cold outside. Select Off or On.

I believe this setting only changes whether it comes on with remote start. Still doesn't help answer the question about a timer.

My manual states that it is on with the ignition in the ON/RUN position and off if the ignition is turned to ACC/ACCESORY or LOCK/OFF.  It says nothing about timer.  I am inclined to think it may be as aseibel's comment suggests that the rear defogger many have a temperature shut off.  This would give the appearance of a timer in more mild climates and appear to never shut off in colder areas.

Archived