Gorehamj

2018 Traverse Rally Sport Turbo Joins Chevy Crossover Lineup – Specs, Details, and Images

2018-Chevrolet-Traverse-RS-080.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-7-2018

The 2.0-liter turbo is the new default “upgrade” engine in everything from the Hyundai Sonata to some AMG Mercedes cars. Automakers like Subaru, Ford, and others moved the 2.0-liter turbo into compact and midsize crossovers eons ago, and many premium crossover manufacturers like Jaguar and Lexus now use a blown four with two liters as the engine for their sporty makes.

2018-Chevrolet-Traverse-RS-081 (1).jpg

Chevy’s Traverse joins the party this year. Calling the new trim the 2018 Traverse RS, Chevy says the new three-row vehicle, “injects a distinctive dose of fun-to-drive sportiness into the midsize SUV segment.”

The engine in the new Traverse RS will generate “up to” 257 hp and 295 lb ft of torque. The “up to” part means that Chevy is using pricey Premium fuel to generate those numbers, but you can use regular without burning holes in the pistons. Oddly, the peak torque arrives after 2,100 RPMS. That is actually high for a turbo. Many reach peak torque well below that engine speed. Chevy promises a “confident feeling of power on demand at all speeds." The transmission is a 9-speed auto.

Chevy doesn’t say so in its press release, but as far as we can tell, the Traverse RS is front wheel drive only. It looks to us like the smaller, less powerful turbo Traverse has a $250 per year HIGHER fuel cost than the 310 hp 3.6-liter V6 Traverse with FWD. Even the AWD 3.6-liter Traverse beats the fuel economy number of the new turbo. Here are the fuel economy numbers for all combinations of Traverse.

2018 traverse fuel economy.png

Here is the content list for the RS. Prices start at $43K.

§  HID headlamps and LED daytime running lamps

§  Upper and lower active aero shutters

§  Chevrolet MyLink radio with 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen and navigation

§  OnStar® 4G LTE and available built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot (3-month/3GB data trial)2

§  Multicolor driver information center display

§  Jet Black leather-appointed seating surfaces

§  Heated front seats

§  Universal Home Remote

§  Tri-zone automatic climate control

§  Bose premium 10-speaker audio system

§  Power liftgate

§  Keyless Open with extended-range Remote Keyless Entry

§  Remote start

§  Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert

§  Rear Cross Traffic Alert

§  Rear Park Assist

§  Surround Vision

§  Rear Camera Mirror

§  Rear Seat Reminder

§  Teen Driver 

Seems like you have to have a turbo in many segments now or buyers pass you by. Interesting that it has nothing it appears on paper against the v-6.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, pickmeup said:

Seems like you have to have a turbo in many segments now or buyers pass you by. Interesting that it has nothing it appears on paper against the v-6.

I guess I'm in the minority. I actively seek out non-turbo engines.

My wife has her eye on a new Traverse and the only engine option I'd approve is the v6.

Edited by spectorfreak

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 1SLOW1500
      Anyone deleted the down stream O2's in tuning? I have the HPtuners PRO and have the codes it keeps throwing
      P0036 HO2S Heater control Circuit
      P0138 O2 Circuit High Voltage

I can remove the code but it seams to come back. And with the check engine light on truck can't remote start. 

I should add the truck has a ON3 turbo kit. and there are 4 bungs for O2 sensors, however in the wrong spots. Only the  up streams are in the right spots. And I use the down tube upper O2 for the Wide Band. So out of holes! Had I known this I would have had a bung added in the crossover before the kit is installed. This is the best option but for now if I can just delete and move on it would be best.
      Thanks

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      7-27-2017
      Chevy teased out a bit of price info today. Most notably, that the 2018 Traverse will start at just $30,875 including destination and delivery. Chevy says that the Traverse will come in L, LS, LT, Premier, and a new sporty RS trim as well as the top-of-the line High Country. A Redline package will be available on Premier, with blacked-out and red accents.

We went to the on-line configurator and priced out an AWD High Country Traverse with the optional Iridescent Pearl Tricoat paint, powered universal tablet holder, a year of OnStar Guidance and came up with as price of about $55k. The configurator bails out at the end and won't display a final buy price, but refers the person shopping to a dealer.

The entry price is up about $2K from last year, which started at $28,700.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      1-11-2017
      Family and other commitments/conflicts kept the GM-Trucks.com staff away from the North American International Auto Show this year, an event we rarely miss. However, we do have friends, (well, one anyway), and he put eyeballs on the new Chevy Traverse for us and was kind enough to send us these images.

Patrick Rall lives in Michigan right across from GM's proving grounds and is a long-time concept car spotter. We know him from Torque News and other publications at which he writes and works in editing. Patrick gave us his first-hand impressions of the new Traverse, and what we like about his comments is that they are very much like those offered by our members in the comments section of our Traverse launch story Monday.

Patrick says that in person the Traverse does look like the larger Suburban and he says that was the general opinion at the show of those in attendance. That is certainly intentional and we suspect most of our members will say that is a good direction for the three-row Traverse. Patrick says that the new styling makes the Traverse look more big-SUV and less curvy little crossover. He also added, "The segment favors crossovers that are more like old school SUVs and less like big station wagons - which is why we are seeing Jeep do their best to make their smaller vehicles look like the Grand Cherokee or Wrangler." Good perspective. Our thanks for Patrick Rall's input and images.

• By Nick438w
      Hello All, I had started another thread but feel that this may be a better place to post.
      2017 Denali 2500HD Duramax, 837 Miles on the truck and the dealer is reporting to me that the Turbo has failed. There were no check engine lights or codes present, just a hellacious noise and lack of power. The truck would not go 30mph wide open throttle but idled perfectly fine. The dealer is telling me that engineering is involved but currently has no resolution, they have had the truck for 4 days. I will update this post as more information is available and a resolve is achieved.

Thanks all
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      1-9-2017
      Chevrolet launched the all-new 2018 Traverse today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan. The major themes of this full redesign are more cargo room, more third-row space, and safety technology improvements. Available D-Optic LED headlamps will be a welcome improvement and may help the Traverse earn a Top Safety Pick Plus rating from IIHS.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmyERG_QOxA
      Chevy claims the new Traverse will have the most passenger and cargo volume (98.5 cubic feet) in its class. The second-row Smart Slide® seats have been improved. These seats now split and fold, and the outboard two seats can tip forward while a forward-facing child seat is left in place (presumably with the child not in the seat). A third-row middle seat means that the Traverse will join the Toyota Highlander in being 8-passenger capable on trims that have the 3-seat bench in the middle (instead of captains' chairs).

New trims include a black-out themed RS and a High Country which features Loft Brown Leather with suede accents. The High Country will also feature premium content and technology. We noticed the cool lifting dash cubby we know from the larger GM SUVs. Was this part of Traverse in the past?

The RS will have an exclusive 2.0L Turbocharged gasoline engine with more torque than the new 3.L engine found on other trims. Both are paired to a nine-speed transmission. Like it or not, all Traverse engines are now equipped with stop-start technology. Both front-wheel drive and AWD will be available. The new Traction Traction Mode Select allows a driver to tailor power and grip to the driving situation, and can decouple the rear-drive portion fully, for better fuel economy.

Like all GM products, technology continues to be an emphasis. Everything we have seen before is available, plus USB ports in all three rows. GM Summarized the active safety with this rundown:
      -Surround Vision
      -D-Optic LED headlamps (standard on High Country and Premier)
      -Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
      -Front Pedestrian Braking
      -Forward Collision Alert
      -Low and High-Speed Forward Automatic Braking
      A teen driver mode is also available (and we reported on this yesterday evening in the Terrain summary). Chevy says "Teen Driver is standard, allowing parents to set certain controls and review performance in order to help encourage better driving habits, even when parents are not in the vehicle."

The all-new Traverse arrives in the fall of 2017 as a 2018 model year vehicle.