Tail Light Issues 2011 2500HD Chevy

jbrunsvig

Question

Having issues with the right rear tail light. The wiring harness had a bad wire in it so instead of fixing it i replaced it, when i did that the lights on that side lit up like the brakes were on and the lights on the drivers side lit up normal when i started the truck.  When I turn on the left blinker it works fine, when i turn on the right blinker the lights are normally bright and the left lights come on very dim but blink with the right, they also blink like there is a bulb out (very fast).  I also replaced the block where all the harnesses meet bc it looked corroded and it was cheap. 

I tested the power coming from the main harness that comes into the block and discovered that the fast blinking was coming from that direction. 

My question is, would that make a difference if the tail lights are not hooked up, or is there a blinker relay that I can't find?

Thank you,

3 answers to this question

From here, it sounds like you've got the tail & brake wires reversed, and have a poor ground on top of that.

24 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

From here, it sounds like you've got the tail & brake wires reversed, and have a poor ground on top of that.

There is no way that I have the lights reversed, they will only going into place one way, its the factory harness. I did check to make sure that that the wires are all in the same places on the harness block and lights as the old and they were. It could definitely be a bad ground, just not sure what would have changed from just replacing the harness, everything seemed to work fine before that. I'm stumped  

Check the board inside the rear tail light housing.  You have something in there cross connecting causing the issue you describe.  Or you have a bad bulb.  Sometimes a bulb will blow and the filament shorts to the other filament causing some pretty light shows.  Bad grounds also create some interesting displays of purely illogical behaviour. 

And yes, not having lights plugged in will cause odd flasher behaviour. 

Archived